Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Pistons, Spurs game today

  1. #1

    Default Pistons, Spurs game today

    Did anybody see that tech assessed to the Pistons for 6 men on the court?

    They had to rescind it when they discovered it was just a ref and decided that was normal for Detroit.
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

  2. #2
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Pistons are having a video game season, nothing as gone wrong.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pistons are having a video game season, nothing as gone wrong.
    They are really good but as we used to say in bowling league "I would rather be hot late than early." Its a long season and much can happen yet. But when I've seen them play they just seem to toy with the other team.
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

  4. #4
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    I really wanted the Spurs to win today, I was depressed in the 4th quarter because I knew they would be up another half of a game. 22-3!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anybody see that tech assessed to the Pistons for 6 men on the court?

    They had to rescind it when they discovered it was just a ref and decided that was normal for Detroit.
    That was weird, I'll admit. But they rescinded it because they never put the ball in play.

    As for the game...

    Ben is clearly back to his dominant ways after playing hurt for 2-3 weeks (had 10 points, 21 rebounds tonight). He has looked better in the last 6-8 games than he has since 02-03 (Averaging 15.2 rpg, 10.2 ppg, and a ton of steals/blocks over the last 7). Dice is heating up as well. He started the season off horribly, but has slowly gotten back into form (10 points, 13 boards in 24 minutes). Another good sign is that Rip played as bad as he possibly could and we still won easily. Bowen defended him great, but he missed 5-6 WIDE open shots.

    With Manu out though, I won't read anything into it.

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,724

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    So far, so good.

    Having the whole fam gather around my uncle's 56-inch plasma and watch the game in HD was a christmas present in itself...

    It's nice to finally get a stretch of home games, to make up for the stupid amount of road games we had to play to start the year.

    Miami thursday will be fun as well.

    It's good to be home for the holidays.....

    Kinda funny, I'd never seen the Pistons win on christmas in my lifetime and now they've won the last two years....

    Oh yeah, and how about that aging, 31-year old fossil in decline known as Ben Wallace?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    No Manu....playing in Detroit on Christmas...the refs arguably favoring the Pistons.
    No chance for the Spurs.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No Manu....playing in Detroit on Christmas...the refs arguably favoring the Pistons.
    No chance for the Spurs.
    Other than that, I agree. The calls went the Spurs way today. Particularly when dice took a blatant charge that was called a blocking foul. Plus, Sheed dove for a loose ball, and Duncan got a "superstar" whistle on what should have been a jump ball. Even though it was fair game for anyone (reminds me of the call that made Billups sit in game 7). Then the refs compounded the bad call with a technical on Sheed as well. Other than that it was decent. But Ginobili is good for 2-3 attrocious calls per game anyways.

  9. #9
    JamesR
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other than that, I agree. The calls went the Spurs way today. Particularly when dice took a blatant charge that was called a blocking foul. Plus, Sheed dove for a loose ball, and Duncan got a "superstar" whistle on what should have been a jump ball. Even though it was fair game for anyone (reminds me of the call that made Billups sit in game 7). Then the refs compounded the bad call with a technical on Sheed as well. Other than that it was decent. But Ginobili is good for 2-3 attrocious calls per game anyways.
    Someone dove on Tim's face--THAT is a foul.

    But there was no realistic chance for the Spurs to win this game without Manu. I hope Detroit fans aren't taking a whole lot from this game, I know I wouldn't if the Pistons were missing Rip/Prince.

  10. #10
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,724

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone dove on Tim's face--THAT is a foul.

    But there was no realistic chance for the Spurs to win this game without Manu. I hope Detroit fans aren't taking a whole lot from this game, I know I wouldn't if the Pistons were missing Rip/Prince.
    I'm taking it as being one win in San Antonio away from holding the tiebreaker over the Spurs, should we meet in the finals. In that respect, it was as important a game as we'll play this season, until playoff time.

    BTW, when you bring in Michael Finley off your bench to be your new starting SG, you lose all sympathy from me

    I could care less how we're playing, or who we beat in december, so long as we're piling up wins. The next series we go the distance in, I want to end in the Palace. That's the same obsession the Pistons have been playing with all season.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  11. #11
    JamesR
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm taking it as being one win in San Antonio away from holding the tiebreaker over the Spurs, should we meet in the finals. In that respect, it was as important a game as we'll play this season, until playoff time.

    BTW, when you bring in Michael Finley off your bench to be your new starting SG, you lose all sympathy from me

    I could care less how we're playing, or who we beat in december, so long as we're piling up wins. The next series we go the distance in, I want to end in the Palace. That's the same obsession the Pistons have been playing with all season.
    Well the idea is to have as many starting quality players as possible... It would have been nice if he would have made something.........

    My idea about HCA is that if the Spurs miss out by one game to ya'll, then there will be more games to point to than the xmas game.

  12. #12
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,755

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    It is so blatantly obvious, that Detroit is going to just run over every team in the playoffs this year, barring some sort of injury or something along those lines.

    They have all the key role players you could ask for, a guy that was STARTING for us last year can't get off the bench...nuff said.

    Most talk about the Pistons on this board is LAUGHABLE. I hate the Pistons and ESPECIALLY Ben wallace as much as the next guy, but you can't argue with the stats (as jermaine would say).

    The Pistons are the best team in the NBA and nobody is even CLOSE. The finals will no doubt be Spurs vs Pistons...or Suns vs Pistons.

    I mean, depending on how healthy Amare is...the Suns could be a contender come playoff time. But no team in the east can even PRETEND to compete with Detroit. I wouldn't blame Donnie Walsh at all if he went into re-build mode. There is just NO WAY we can beat this Piston team...face the facts people.

    I will still watch every Pacer game and love every minute of it, but we will not beat the Pistons. I would love to meet them in the playoffs, regardless of the outcome...it will be a good series. We do get real fired up for the Pistons.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm taking it as being one win in San Antonio away from holding the tiebreaker over the Spurs, should we meet in the finals. In that respect, it was as important a game as we'll play this season, until playoff time.

    BTW, when you bring in Michael Finley off your bench to be your new starting SG, you lose all sympathy from me

    I could care less how we're playing, or who we beat in december, so long as we're piling up wins. The next series we go the distance in, I want to end in the Palace. That's the same obsession the Pistons have been playing with all season.
    Toronto Tuesday should be fun. Well, at least for me. I'll be sitting 5 rows from the floor across from the visitors' bench. Only Piston game I'll go to all year.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is so blatantly obvious, that Detroit is going to just run over every team in the playoffs this year, barring some sort of injury or something along those lines.

    They have all the key role players you could ask for, a guy that was STARTING for us last year can't get off the bench...nuff said.

    Most talk about the Pistons on this board is LAUGHABLE. I hate the Pistons and ESPECIALLY Ben wallace as much as the next guy, but you can't argue with the stats (as jermaine would say).

    The Pistons are the best team in the NBA and nobody is even CLOSE. The finals will no doubt be Spurs vs Pistons...or Suns vs Pistons.

    I mean, depending on how healthy Amare is...the Suns could be a contender come playoff time. But no team in the east can even PRETEND to compete with Detroit. I wouldn't blame Donnie Walsh at all if he went into re-build mode. There is just NO WAY we can beat this Piston team...face the facts people.

    I will still watch every Pacer game and love every minute of it, but we will not beat the Pistons. I would love to meet them in the playoffs, regardless of the outcome...it will be a good series. We do get real fired up for the Pistons.
    If the Pistons beat the Pacers the first game they play, that will be their best win of the season.

  15. #15
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,171

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    The only thing that bothers me about the Pistons is that they continue to get away with lots of subtle contact, especially over-the-back. Drives me nuts.

    With that said, Detroit is going to be a handful. However, I won't concede the east to them until I see who we bring in for Ron. Miami, however, has no shot at this time.

  16. #16
    Gamble
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    I am not sure anyone can stop them at this point but who
    knows what the next year will bring. About the contact i always
    thought that refs allow more defesive minded teams more of it
    which really plays well into the hands of the Pistons.
    I would still take the Pistons winning it all than the Lakers
    with Shaq. I can't stand rich O.C people bragging about the
    Lakers.

  17. #17
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    This is why two seasons ago I was about to blow my brains out from people on here who kept saying we didn't need to do anything & that Detroit would just fade away on their own.

    Newsflash then is the same newsflash now. There is no one in the Detroit starting five that is Old yet or on the downside of their careers.

    Sheed can play for several more years, same for Ben. Will they be as dominate? Probably not, but they don't have to be.

    Prince is just coming on, Rip is just entering his prime years & Chauncey has a few more years as a top notch player.

    Now I will admit to being shocked at how well they have responded to Flip Sanders, but what do I know.

    The only hope we have of taking it to the Pistons, as is, would be by one of 3 things.

    1. Injuries hit them. I don't know that they have somebody who could fill in for Prince or Rip during a 7 game series & not be hurt, but that is not a guarantee of anything for us. Good teams just play better when someone goes down.

    2. Austin Croshere becomes hot & sustains it for all 7 games. Now I will say this, if he does do this then that totally changes everything. But let's be honest here, does anybody beleive Austin could be that hot for that many games?

    3. David Harrison breaks on threw to the other side. But even I am about to give up on this happening this year. Whether it's David or Rick at this point doesn't matter, it just ain't happening.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  18. #18
    King Mob
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No Manu....playing in Detroit on Christmas...the refs arguably favoring the Pistons.
    No chance for the Spurs.
    Of course not, you can't expect the Spurs to win a game in those kind of conditions, they're only the world champs.

    Luckily they're not bottom feeders, or the Pistons would've been embarrassed on national TV yet again.

  19. #19
    3ballinhoop
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    No, they are NBA champs. Serbia is world champion, and will be until the World Championships are played the next year.

    Still, the Pistons really seem very,very good. They have an insanely strong starting five, and the advantage to have played together for years now.
    Saying that they will win the East is not a very difficult prognosis.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by 3ballinhoop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, they are NBA champs. Serbia is world champion, and will be until the World Championships are played the next year.
    What do these say?



  21. #21
    recap
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    A little off subject, but I have been saying for years now that we should send the Pistons (or whatever is the best NBA team made up almost entirely of Americans) to play in the international tournaments rather than putting together an all-star team.

    Does anyone think that the Pistons wouldn't have won the gold medal at the Olympics? That opportunity could be added incentive to win the NBA championship those years.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by recap
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A little off subject, but I have been saying for years now that we should send the Pistons (or whatever is the best NBA team made up almost entirely of Americans) to play in the international tournaments rather than putting together an all-star team.

    Does anyone think that the Pistons wouldn't have won the gold medal at the Olympics? That opportunity could be added incentive to win the NBA championship those years.
    Larry Brown said that the Pistons would have won gold in '04. The problem is that the Champs already play more games than anyone in the NBA season. If they had to play in the Olympics as well it would probably wear them down too much for the next NBA season.

  23. #23
    JamesR
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    That is a horrible idea. Whatever team went to the Olympics would have absolutely no shot at repeating.

  24. #24
    3ballinhoop
    Guest

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Fresh Prince, clearly you must have noticed that i wasn't taking anything away from the Pistons, i think that is a damn good basketball team.

    But what you failed to grasp is that anybody could call their national league title "world championship" title. The fact that you do it certainly doesn't make a false thing more correct.
    Sure, the strongest NBA team is arguably the best basketball CLUB team.

    No other country would ever think of calling their national league winners world champions. And when I pointed this out to you, your argument is the text on the rings, thus the ignorance itself? I seriously doubt that can be topped by anything.

    The arguably strongest league in football is the Serie A. Still, that title has absolutely nothing to do with a world championship.

    There is a basketball world championship, played every 4 years. Last time it was played in the USA in 2002, and you finished 6th or something.

    Of course, there is also the possibility of a club level world championship, but to earn that title, a tournament would have to be played out. You can't claim a title because you would be the huge favourite in a hypothetical case.
    And, to make sure you really understand, that would be the Club World Champion, not the World Champion.

  25. #25
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,171

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pistons, Spurs game today

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure anyone can stop them at this point but who
    knows what the next year will bring. About the contact i always
    thought that refs allow more defesive minded teams more of it
    which really plays well into the hands of the Pistons.
    I would still take the Pistons winning it all than the Lakers
    with Shaq. I can't stand rich O.C people bragging about the
    Lakers.
    I believe that to a degree, but the Pacers were up there with them defensively in 2004 and didn't get half the calls the Pistons tend to get. It's just annoying to see Pistons players fly over the back all the time with no call (especially Ben). It's much easier to pad your rebounding numbers when you can do that, obviously.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •