Thread: Ticks me off!

Angry Ticks me off!

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131252

As if Tony Dungy isn't going thru enough right now!

Poor guy!

At least the majority of the posters (including me) are sticking up for Tony.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Default Re: Ticks me off!

That poster is true, pcf. Suicidal ideation leads to suicide. People leave clues. They seek attention. People may think about killing themselves. But they make a plan. And they gather things they need to carry out their plan. There are warnings upon warnings. Suicide is avoidable, absolutely, if people pay attention to the warning signs. Read my post in the sticky'ed thread - end of page 2, beginning of page 3.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

You can still stick up for Tony, of course he's going through a tough time. A lot of people have feelings of guilt when something like this happens, most often the parents or children of the person in question. And ultimately the young man was mentally ill in a terrible terrible way. Unfortunately nobody picked up on it. Its not something to pass blame about, its something to build awareness in. I can bet you each dollar I have, Tony Dungy will become a champion of mental health as he recovers from this terrible tragedy. If you really want to support Coach, learn about things like depression. Be able to recognize when your friends are suffering from it. It is a very real disease and isn't just a label. Its treatable, and that's the great thing. But you must recognize it to treat it.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

That is just another in a line of horrid posts/threads at RATS....

Not even worth the time to respond to people that ignorant.

I'm not trying to say anything at all against you, I agree with you 100%.

It seems there are always people who can't keep their mouths shut and show some class and dignity when the situation warrants it. Unfortunately, tragedies like this one always seem to bring them out in full force. It is very sad indeed.

My thoughts will be with the Dungy family as much as my own this weekend, and I don't know them at all. I know I'm not alone in that thought, either. That fact alone should tell the detractors something about the individual Tony Dungy is.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Did you even try to spend any time and think about the point of what that guy was saying?

You know suicide is one of the most preventable diseases out there?

It all starts with recognition.

And there is treatment available.

And yes people do get locked up in mental institutions until their thoughts of suicide go away.

Every time I meet a patient with depression, I am obligated by state law to ask them if they are having thoughts of suicide. If they say yes, they automatically get admitted to a locked psychiatric hospital unit. And they get lots of therapy.

People DON'T JUST COMMIT suicide. There is months upon months upon years of depression involved here. Suicidal patients make plans on how they kill themselves. Its recognizable. No joke.

That said, its not Tony's fault. He didn't know what to look for. But the lesson here is, its something that needs to be understood by everyone in the general public.

Signs and symptoms of depression:

1. Feeling depressed.
    2. Suicidal thoughts.
    3. Loss of interest in general daily activities
    4. Feelings of guilt
    5. Crying spells.
    6. Anorexia - eating disturbances with weight loss/weight gain.
    7. Sleep disturbances. People in depression tend to wake up at extreme early hours of the morning, such as 2-3 am. And it happens recurrently.
    8. Psychomotor retardation - this basically means the person will feel sluggish.

If someone meets 5 of the 8 criteria above, they are CLINICALLY DEPRESSED.
    They should seek some help from a medical professional and should consider counseling or medication and possibly both as a treatment option.

I don't get some people. All people are saying is how great of a guy Tony Dungy is and what is wrong with that? Some people need to keep their mouth shuts and mind their own business.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That poster is true, pcf. Suicidal ideation leads to suicide. People leave clues. They seek attention. People may think about killing themselves. But they make a plan. And they gather things they need to carry out their plan. There are warnings upon warnings. Suicide is avoidable, absolutely, if people pay attention to the warning signs. Read my post in the sticky'ed thread - end of page 2, beginning of page 3.
    I was under the impression that the poster was blaming Tony for it. I'm sure had Tony noticed the signs that he would've done everything he could do to help his son. No matter how you look at it, it's a terrible tragedy that could've been avoided.

Unfortunately, for James, it's too late.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Its never too late man.

Save the next guy.

One man's tragedy is another man's miracle.

Learn a lession. I don't think anyone knows if Tony Dungy should assume any culpability. You don't and I sure as hell don't. But that's between him and god or whomever.

Try to learn something from this. Don't let it happen to your son. Your friend. Your dad. Your mom. Your daughter, brother or sister.

Suicide is preventable.

There's a difference in 'seeing (or noticing) the signs' than actually 'recognizing' and understanding the signs.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    Did you even try to spend any time and think about the point of what that guy was saying?

You know suicide is one of the most preventable diseases out there?

It all starts with recognition.

And there is treatment available.

And yes people do get locked up in mental institutions until their thoughts of suicide go away.

Every time I meet a patient with depression, I am obligated by state law to ask them if they are having thoughts of suicide. If they say yes, they automatically get admitted to a locked psychiatric hospital unit. And they get lots of therapy.

People DON'T JUST COMMIT suicide. There is months upon months upon years of depression involved here. Suicidal patients make plans on how they kill themselves. Its recognizable. No joke.

That said, its not Tony's fault. He didn't know what to look for. But the lesson here is, its something that needs to be understood by everyone in the general public.

Signs and symptoms of depression:

1. Feeling depressed.
    2. Suicidal thoughts.
    3. Loss of interest in general daily activities
    4. Feelings of guilt
    5. Crying spells.
    6. Anorexia - eating disturbances with weight loss/weight gain.
    7. Sleep disturbances. People in depression tend to wake up at extreme early hours of the morning, such as 2-3 am. And it happens recurrently.
    8. Psychomotor retardation - this basically means the person will feel sluggish.

If someone meets 5 of the 8 criteria above, they are CLINICALLY DEPRESSED.
    They should seek some help from a medical professional and should consider counseling or medication and possibly both as a treatment option.
    Keep preaching it man. I know from experience that it's noticeable IF you are willing to look. You've just got to be willing to cross that line in your head and beleive that someone you love may have this happening to them. Sometimes that's really hard, impossible for some.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    There's a difference in 'seeing (or noticing) the signs' than actually 'recognizing' and understanding the signs.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

-Bball
    Bingo.

I'm also a believer that people who attempt suicide, but want to be saved, are the ones who leave clues. People who attempt suicide, and want nothing but to end their lives, hide it until it's done. Then there's the third kind, spur-of-the-moment overreaction. Didn't plan it, but something sets them off and they just do it.

As someone exposed from the medical end of things - there is no "spur-of-the-moment" overreaction. These people might have something that breaks them, but they sure as heck have thought about it months if not years before they finally do it.

And most people, *MOST*, do leave clues. I'm sure there are the occasional that don't, but most do leave clues.

BBall, you are right, there is a difference between seeing and recognizing but in my experience its not all that hard to decipher. Depression, if you really look for it, its hard to miss. When a person withdraws, it becomes obvious. I'm not blaming suicide on anyone - it truly is the person who commits the act that is the most selfish of all, but it CAN be prevented.