Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where is bird?

Default Re: where is bird?

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    or probably Bird checked into a rehab clinic and is getting treated for depression.

I saw him there

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I saw him there
    UB, which one do you use? I'm looking for a good one and need it quick.

Of course you didn't say you use it yourself you just saw Larry there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    I would have no idea of the thought process that goes on between the two, a person who is close to the situation describes it as mutual respect so I don't think there is a great dispute.

But I wonder if there isn't a differance there between Larry & Donnie over Ron?

Something I read in the Boston paper when all of this went down disturbed me quite a bit & this was before Larry knew about Ron's demands. He said that Ron should be allowed to break the offense & not be punished for bad shots because of the way he plays defense & all out every game.

It's no great seceret that Bird questions J.O. as a leader & I think even as an elite player.

I just truely wonder if Larry wouldn't have shipped out J.O. & kept Ron if it were totally up to him?

I wonder if Larry didn't try & leave the door open to keep Ron but Walsh just took over and decided that this is the way it is?

That article, and comment you referenced, have me wondering some things as well.

-Who did Bird think was not allowing Ron the freedom he deserved (or getting him an extra touch)? Was he talking about a player...players...coach?

And I do see the silence from Bird as curious right now. How hard is it to say "Donnie and I are doing everything in our power to see this situation come to its resolution for the betterment of everyone involved. I'd rather not talk publically about details" ?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    Larry Bird =
    Boomer is the kids mascot
    Bird is the mascot for the adults
    I've been thinking the same thing. I just don't want a "Green Guy" as the mascot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    Larry Bird =
    Boomer is the kids mascot
    Bird is the mascot for the adults

At least that is the impression I get with Bird being so quiet and showing nothing in this process.
    I was thinking something more along the lines of...

Larry Bird = Donnie Walsh's lap dog

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Perhaps Larry has egg on his face for supporting Ron behind the scenes. When all this hit the fan, he was embarrassed and just told Donnie, "You handle it."

Also, the jokes about depression may not be far from the truth. If I had more time, I would love to write a thread based on excerpts from both books written by Bird--particularly the first one--which reveals a guy with a pretty soft heart toward people. He can be a hardass on the court as an individual, but that doesn't necesarily carry over into being a disciplinarian and tough guy as a GM. Add to the mix his family life (father committed suicide) and you can see how having a guy like Ron betray you and make you look so stupid could put you in an emotional funk.

Larry Bird may be all-world as a basketball player, but he certainly has the background for someone who could have an emotional/depressive crisis over something like this.

Speculation, of course, but that's what this board is all about. But I will add that I have been entertaining these ideas for a couple of weeks now.

Harmonica

I would have no idea of the thought process that goes on between the two, a person who is close to the situation describes it as mutual respect so I don't think there is a great dispute.

Something I read in the Boston paper when all of this went down disturbed me quite a bit & this was before Larry knew about Ron's demands. He said that Ron should be allowed to break the offense & not be punished for bad shots because of the way he plays defense & all out every game.

It's no great seceret that Bird questions J.O. as a leader & I think even as an elite player.

I just truely wonder if Larry wouldn't have shipped out J.O. & kept Ron if it were totally up to him?

I wonder if Larry didn't try & leave the door open to keep Ron but Walsh just took over and decided that this is the way it is?
    I think you're reading a little too much into it. The Pacers have no other recourse but to trade Ron after what he pulled. I'm sure Donnie and Larry are in full agreement about that. And I think they were both in agreement on trying to do everything within their power to bolster the image of Ron after the brawl, hold their breath and hope he could keep it together until they could get some sort of equal value for him (a gross miscalculation on their part, in my opinion). As for what's going on now, Donnie just happened to be here when it went down and did what he had to do. Now that Larry's back, I'm sure it's a collaborative process.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    I think you're reading a little too much into it. The Pacers have no other recourse but to trade Ron after what he pulled. I'm sure Donnie and Larry are in full agreement about that. And I think they were both in agreement on trying to do everything within their power to bolster the image of Ron after the brawl, hold their breath and hope he could keep it together until they could get some sort of equal value for him (a gross miscalculation on their part, in my opinion). As for what's going on now, Donnie just happened to be here when it went down and did what he had to do. Now that Larry's back, I'm sure it's a collaborative process.
    I'm sure you are right.

But you have to admit the silence from Bird on the issue is a little odd considering the magnitude of the event & considering that he is supposed to be guiding the basketball direction of the team & his outspoken support of Ron and.... well you know.

Either way I'm just glad that Donnie put his foot down.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Same thing I thought during the offseason too Peck, JO was getting questioned left and right, how he had to step up and do this and do that or he was gone. While Ron on the other hand was Birds sweetheart and Larry was making him look like a saint and JO like a devil. I bet you if none of this happend Bird would have moved JO before he moved Ron.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    I bet you if none of this happened Bird would have moved JO before he moved Ron.
    Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Nonsense.
    I'm not sure. It does kind of coincide with what you told me a couple of years ago.

I'm not saying that it is so, I'm just thinking it's not as far out as it sounds.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

bird has weighed in on today's indystar
    front page. he says he felt "betrayed",
    says that ron will "do fine" but "not here".
    he's still talking western conference trade.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/512260410

That is worthy of its own thread. I'll start one.