Thread: From the Detroit Free Press, CARLISLE 3, STREAK 0:

Default From the Detroit Free Press, CARLISLE 3, STREAK 0:

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/...1_20040121.htm

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
    INDIANAPOLIS -- Why is the Pistons' streak over?

Because in the three games it has lost to Indiana this season, including Tuesday night's 81-69 setback at Conseco Fieldhouse, the Pacers have played with greater force, and Detroit has appeared to be unwilling or unable to match their strength. The Pacers ended the Pistons' franchise-record-tying 13-game winning streak.

Ron Artest has whipped the Pistons' small forwards, and Jermaine O'Neal had his way with their forwards and centers, other than Ben Wallace.

To the delight of former Detroit coach Rick Carlisle, the Pacers are 3-0 in the four-game season series against the Pistons, and they own all tie-breakers for playoff berths.

"I've got a lot of admiration for our team and the way they've held together," Carlisle said.

The Pacers (33-11) have won five in a row and 11 out of their past 12 to keep Detroit (29-14) in second place in the Central Division.

"They just set the tempo," Detroit coach Larry Brown said. "We got back into the game and got it down four, and then, the second half, we just didn't match their effort. . . . They converted turnovers, and we couldn't get them to turn the ball over. That's usually aggressiveness and defensive pressure, which they did a great job of."

O'Neal controlled everything, with 28 points, 15 rebounds and four blocked shots. Aging Reggie Miller shook off the cobwebs and scored 22 points, including three triples.

It was O'Neal's 28th double-double of the season.

"When we needed a hoop, he was able to get a clean look or get a foul," Carlisle said.

Meanwhile, nothing came easy for the Pistons.

"In all three games, Rip and Tayshaun and Chauncey haven't shot the ball well or taken many shots," Brown said.

Between them, Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups shot 6-for-26 from the field Tuesday night. They are 21-for-80 in the three games against the Pacers.

The Pistons hit just one three-pointer and shot just 39.1 percent from the field. Billups, who scored just 11 points, suffered a cut under his chin and received five stitches.

Taking an 11-point lead after one quarter, the Pacers led all the way. They took a 66-57 lead into the fourth quarter and expanded it to 77-63 before Detroit put together a mild run.

Detroit was forced to put tough guys Darvin Ham and Corliss Williamson on the floor in the fourth quarter, as Tayshaun Prince and Mehmet Okur were spectators.

"Eventually we have to find a way to beat these guys," said Wallace, who had 10 rebounds and nine points. "We just have to start another streak."

Contact PERRY A. FARRELL at 313-222-2555 or farrell@freepress.com.

Default Re: From the Detroit Free Press, CARLISLE 3, STREAK 0:

I found a short blurb in the Detroit news that I wanted to share. I didn't think it deserved it's own thread but it does show how rough last nights game was.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/.../e05-41951.htm

The quote is all the way at the bottom.

"Billups got five stitches after the game to close a gash on his chin."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"In all three games, Rip and Tayshaun and Chauncey haven't shot the ball well or taken many shots," Brown said
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++

How about crediting the Pacer's defense against these guys Larry? He says the Pistons are dominated by O'Neal and Artest, but 6-26 over three games ain't a slump there has to be a reason, it's called defense.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Pacers are a very physical team, they generally man-handle and wear down their opponents to the point where they either wilt or give in. See the Heat game and the Nets game as prime examples.

For this I credit the coaching staff.

Here are a couple of interesting takes on all this. I would be very interested to read what Kstat thinks

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/.../e01-41941.htm

Pacers foil Pistons

Indiana stops 13-game winning streak, is 3-0 against Detroit

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

INDIANAPOLIS — It’s gone. Whatever mental or physical edge the Pistons had over the Indiana Pacers has been lost.

The roles have been reversed. The Pacers are the team in command now and the Pistons, well, they are the frustrated challengers.

“They were physical with us and we allowed them to attack us and push us around,” Ben Wallace said after the Pistons lost their third straight game to the Pacers, 81-69 Tuesday night at Conseco Fieldhouse. “Eventually, we are going to have to figure out a way to beat those guys.”

The victory, the Pacers’ 12th in 13 games, extended their lead in the Eastern Co.ference to 3 1/2 games and brought to a screeching halt the Pistons’ 13-game winning streak.

“We’ll just have to start another one,” Wallace said.

So, what has changed? Believe it or not, it’s not because Rick Carlisle is now coaching the Pacers. He has little to do with the Pacers suddenly becoming the more aggressive and physical team.

[size=18:87baa6d468]No, the Pacers, perhaps more than any other team, expose how valuable Cliff Robinson and Michael Curry were. Curry matched the physicality of Ron Artest, and Robinson could fluster Pacers star Jermaine O’Neal as no current Piston seems able to do. [/size]

O’Neal dominated the game with 28 points, 15 rebounds and four blocked shots.

“He had his way,” Wallace said.

The Pistons, though, buried themselves early with a season-low nine-point first quarter, then kept tripping themselves with turnovers (21, which the Pacers converted into 26 points).

“It was just one of those games,” Wallace said. “We have to stay poised, stay together and keep our heads up.”

__________________________________________________ ___________

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/.../e05-41951.htm

Pacers don't need helping hand

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Associated Press

Elden Campbell, who shot 4-for-4 and had eight points, watches the final seconds of the Pacers' 81-69 handling of the Pistons.

Comment on this story
    Send this story to a friend
    Get Home Delivery

INDIANAPOLIS — You knew things were different in this rivalry Tuesday night when you saw the Pistons’ Tayshaun Prince help the Pacers’ Jermaine O’Neal up off the floor.

Even players on the Pistons bench were aghast.

If the Pacers’ 81-69 rout of the Pistons showed little else, it showed the Pistons have lost the edge they once had over the Pacers.

The Pacers are more physical than the Pistons now, more aggressive, more confident. The Pistons seem to be the rattled team, the frustrated team, the team that loses its composure.

“That’s three games now that they were the aggressors,” said Corliss Williamson, who was the best Piston on the floor, with 17 points. “They hit us first and we retaliate. We have to change that against that team. We have to be the team that hits first.”

The Pacers have dominated the Pistons at two positions this season: power forward with Jermaine O’Neal and small forward with Ron Artest. Those are the positions vacated by Cliff Robinson and Michael Curry and now manned primarily by Mehmet Okur and Tayshaun Prince.

“We have two rookies who looked like they really didn’t want to be out there,” said Larry Brown, referring to the second-year pros Okur and Prince.

Okur was scoreless in 12 minutes and Prince had one basket in 27 minutes. Meanwhile, O’Neal (28 points, 15 rebounds) and Artest (10 points, five steals) set the tone, teaming for 14 points and 11 rebounds in the first quarter.

“That’s not fair to (put that on) my teammates,” Williamson said. “Those guys are capable of playing physical and with aggression. It’s just more of a mind-set. We have to figure out a way to establish that early, especially on their home court. We have to bring the fire and energy. We can’t let them dictate how they want to play.”

The Pistons have had other issues against the Pacers as well. Such as, their starting backcourt hasn’t made shots. In the three games, Chauncey Billups is 9-for-41 and Richard Hamilton 12-for-39 — that’s 21-for-80, 26 percent.

“You just have to tip your hat to them,” Ben Wallace said. “They are getting it done right now.”

The Pistons must wait until April 4 for another shot at the Pacers. That should give them ample time to figure this thing out.

Davis gone

Hubert Davis is 33 years old and not ready to retire as an active player.

But he knew his chances of playing in Detroit, with the Pistons’ deep, young and talented backcourt, were slim. So, on Monday, he asked the Pistons to cut him loose and the Pistons obliged, putting him on waivers Tuesday.

“It was Hubert’s decision,” said John Hammond, Pistons vice president of basketball operations. “At the end of the day, we wanted to do what was right for Hubert and for our organization.”

The Pistons had tried to trade Davis repeatedly since last summer but were never were able to work out a deal. He is the final year of a contract, and the Pistons will pay off the rest of his $2.9 million salary.

“It just came to a point where he couldn’t keep waiting,” Steve Kauffman, Davis’ agent, said. “He hasn’t played in a year and a half. He couldn’t afford to sit out another year and have any chance at prolonging his career.”

Kauffman said as many as four teams have expressed interest in Davis. Though he wouldn’t name the teams, the New Orleans Hornets expressed interest in Davis during the summer.

Nothing personal

Brown has lost seven of the last nine games to teams coached by Rick Carlisle (his 76ers were 2-4 against Carlisle’s Pistons in the playoffs last spring, and his Pistons are 0-3 against Carlisle’s Pacers after losing Tuesday night).

“I never look at it like that,” Brown said before Tuesday’s game. “I look at it like they are a great team that’s in our conference. ... I don’t look at it as any personal thing. I am way beyond that. I would rather coach in a game like this than the one yesterday.”

On Monday, Brown coached against one of close friends, San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich.

Carlisle, too, didn’t make it personal.

“I don’t think there is anyone here who thinks we’ve done anything special,” he said. “We have a long ways to go.”

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron Artest has whipped the Pistons' small forwards, and Jermaine O'Neal had his way with their forwards and centers, other than Ben Wallace."
    I pretty much agree with the article. I might change TWO words, though.

".... and Jermaine O'Neal had his way with their forwards and centers, INCLUDING Ben Wallace"

Wallace changed a few shots, although he blocked none.

But it didn't matter who guarded JO. He went right at them, backing down from none, including Ben Wallace.

The only player that seemed to have a decent game for Detroit was Williamson. But then he usually plays well against the Pacers.

And for matchup purposes I would agree. The Pistons definitely miss Robinson and Curry, who both always played well against the Pacers.

I said last season that Cliff Robinson defended J.O better one-on-one than any player in the NBA.

- The Curry and Robinson thing is right on. My sister asked me after the game how Detroit had changed from last year, and the first words out of my mouth were "They gave Cliff Robinson away." Huge difference on the court.

- I find it funny that Brown badmouth's the two guys Carlisle took the most heat for not playing, Okur and Prince.

- The whole Prince helping JO up is pretty petty. It was a pretty hard foul, and I think he was quick to play nice cause he didn't want a flagrant.

- As for the Wallace thing, here's a funny. I had 3 Piston fans sitting behind me at the game, and they were talking about how great Ben was. Went on and on about he's the MVP of the league, wondering why he doesn't have a shoe deal ( ), etc.

Game starts, and next thing you know, JO's got a double double. I look at the scoreboard and #3 has 0 points, 2 rebounds, and 1 assist. He gets his first basket, and the guys behind me go crazy. I say, "Look he's got a double-deuce. In fact, he's one assist away from a triple-deuce." No, I don't think they heard me.

Overall, I've never seen Wallace play that bad ever. I was shocked by the lack of intensity he and his teammates showed, especially after they were talking up the game so much the night before. Wierd.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I had 3 Piston fans sitting behind me at the game, and they were talking awondering why he doesn't bout how great Ben was. Went on and on about he's the MVP of the league, have a shoe deal
    Ignorant People....

You should have turned around after JO hit that running one hander over Ben and said something cuz at that point JO was unstopable