Thread: Reggie is showing signs...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Reggie is showing signs...

Of rounding into form. Lately he's been more aggressive early in the games and down the stretch, the exact times he needs to put up shots.

In the last 12 games he's averaged 12 points per game from an average of 8 shots per game. In the previous 31 games he was only averaging 9 points and 7 attempts. Although the attempts are still close, he's taking shots more consistently. He had the game against the Nets where he inexplicably took just 3 shots but other than that, he's launched as many as 17 and no less than 5 during this stretch.

He's still not all the way there as far as his shot efficiency goes but he is getting to the free throw line a lot more. IMO, he still settles for too many 3pts when he could pump fake, step through, and drain the long two or drive for the floater. Behind the arch Reggie is a good shooter but within it, he rarely misses. If he could re-incorporate the mid-range shot into his arsenal, he'd be deadly once again. He's done it a little bit during this win streak but I'd like to see more of it.

Anyway, it's good to see Reg regaining his effectiveness for the Pacers. I wonder what exactly has contributed to it? The return of Tinsley to the lineup? Was he just rusty because of the offseason ankle surgery? Did he finally get tired of hearing the whispers about him being finished? It could be a little of all the above but whatever it is, I hope he can keep it up and bring a little bit of the old Reggie back.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Reggie is showing signs...

Of rounding into form. Lately he's been more aggressive early in the games and down the stretch, the exact times he needs to put up shots.

In the last 12 games he's averaged 12 points per game from an average of 8 shots per game. In the previous 31 games he was only averaging 9 points and 7 attempts. Although the attempts are still close, he's taking shots more consistently. He had the game against the Nets where he inexplicably took just 3 shots but other than that, he's launched as many as 17 and no less than 5 during this stretch.

He's still not all the way there as far as his shot efficiency goes but he is getting to the free throw line a lot more. IMO, he still settles for too many 3pts when he could pump fake, step through, and drain the long two or drive for the floater. Behind the arch Reggie is a good shooter but within it, he rarely misses. If he could re-incorporate the mid-range shot into his arsenal, he'd be deadly once again. He's done it a little bit during this win streak but I'd like to see more of it.

Anyway, it's good to see Reg regaining his effectiveness for the Pacers. I wonder what exactly has contributed to it? The return of Tinsley to the lineup? Was he just rusty because of the offseason ankle surgery? Did he finally get tired of hearing the whispers about him being finished? It could be a little of all the above but whatever it is, I hope he can keep it up and bring a little bit of the old Reggie back.

At the beginning of this "hot stretch", he attributed it to some film work and shooting practice with his old buddy and next-door neighbor (Chuck) that helped him correct some mechanical flaws. Since then, his confidence has also been sky-high. I do agree that I hope we see more "floaters" and sixteen footers than three-pointers, just because I've started to really hate the three-point shot over the past two/three seasons.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo

At the beginning of this "hot stretch", he attributed it to some film work and shooting practice with his old buddy and next-door neighbor (Chuck) that helped him correct some mechanical flaws. Since then, his confidence has also been sky-high. I do agree that I hope we see more "floaters" and sixteen footers than three-pointers, just because I've started to really hate the three-point shot over the past two/three seasons.
    The "Riffleman" is starting to look like a real genius. First he ressurrects his brother's career in Cleveland as an assistant with the Cavs. Next, he leaves there, is brought in to train the Indiana Fever, and sees them make incredible improvement. Now, he's improved Tinsley's shot and even helped Reggie find his groove.

Chuck Person is the greatest!

If you didn't follow the Pacers back in the late 80's/early 90's when Chuck and Reggie played together, you really missed a great shooting team. They shot and made a lot of 3s but they would absolutely kill you inside the arch.
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

7-Layer Burrito

Good post, Nap. It has been refreshing watching Reggie lately. I echo your opinion in that I'd like to see him inside the arc more often drilling those long 2's and floaters. I'm not sure how much age has caught up with him, in terms of getting off picks and launching open shots is concerned. Obviously, it doesn't seem near as effortless as in the past. Tinsley's resurrection has no doubt been a boost to Reg as well.

The "Riffleman" is starting to look like a real genius. First he ressurrects his brother's career in Cleveland as an assistant with the Cavs. Next, he leaves there, is brought in to train the Indiana Fever, and sees them make incredible improvement. Now, he's improved Tinsley's shot and even helped Reggie find his groove.

Chuck Person is the greatest!

If you didn't follow the Pacers back in the late 80's/early 90's when Chuck and Reggie played together, you really missed a great shooting team. They shot and made a lot of 3s but they would absolutely kill you inside the arch.
    As the self-proclaimed "Chuck Person's biggest fan", its worth pointing out the following:

Back in the famous 1991 playoff series vs. the Evil Celtics, NBC did a halftime feature on Chuck. He had equipped his Geist mansion with a studio that had thirteen TVs and high quality VCRs, and a series of satellite dishes (remember this was years before DirecTV/ League Pass) so he could watch and record every game himself (in order to scout out his opposing small forwards.) I remember thinking to myself, "I want a room like that." To appease his now-much-more-famous next-door neighbor/ shooting guard, he also had a beautiful room for his pool table(s).

Off-the-court, he's also been a successful businessman, even during his playing days. I don't know how exactly his career will turn out... But for the guy that coined the phrase "Pacer for life" and was Mr. Clutch when another famous clutch player would disappear in the second half of a ballgame, I hope its with the Pacers.

Naptown, let me add some numbers to your last comment; there were many games where Chuck would finish 9 for 14 from the floor. A fine game, but when you'd break it down you'd realize that he was 7 for 8 on 2pt shots and 2 for 6 on 3pt shots. His inside-the-arc shooting percentage was eye-popping, especially since he wasn't really athletic enough to get a lot of layups/ dunks. Now he'd also have some 2 for 11 games, but of course what everyone complains about is all the 2 rebound games...

REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO! BOOM! Not the same ring to it but I'll take it.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO!
    How bout this

REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO! AND THE FOUL!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that

REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO!
    How bout this

I like that

Or as Mark Boyle has said so many times over the years,

[size=18:dc5084d898]"COUNT IT!! AND PUT HIM ON THE LINE!"[/size]

Most excellent
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

"COUNT IT!! AND PUT HIM ON THE LINE!"
    Never heard him say that

ohhh wait....thats cuz I live in Milwaukee

"COUNT IT!! AND PUT HIM ON THE LINE!"
    Never heard him say that

ohhh wait....thats cuz I live in Milwaukee

Yeah, but I've heard Jon McGlocklin give Reggie some "Boom, Babies" - as a tribute to his good friend Slick - from time-to-time.

REEEGGIEEEEE FOR TWO!
    How bout this

I like that

Or as Mark Boyle has said so many times over the years,

[size=18:0089f61e04]"COUNT IT!! AND PUT HIM ON THE LINE!"[/size]
    Thats the best....only behind Boom Baby
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Yeah, but I've heard Jon McGlocklin give Reggie some "Boom, Babies" - as a tribute to his good friend Slick - from time-to-time.
    He also likes to scream...THERE GOES COWBOY

and says "Jim" way to damn much...must say it atleast 20-30 times a broadcast

wait...this isn't a bucks thread.....GO PACERS

7-Layer Burrito

Damn. Did Reggie read this thread before the game last night? How many free throws did he shoot?

Defense was a little porous, as usual, last night. Uncle Reg got completely juked out of his shorts by Rip at one point.

But, still, I'll take the game he played last night, any night.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

[quote="7-Layer Burrito"]Damn. Did Reggie read this thread before the game last night? quote]

It wouldn't be the first time a Pacers player reacted to something the fans wrote about him.

Hey, did anyone else notice that Reggie took more shots inside the arch than he did from behind it? He even went to the pump-fake, step through move a couple of times. He was only 3-7 on those shots but still it keeps the defense honest and off balance when he's agressive that way. That's the Reggie we all love!

Damn. Did Reggie read this thread before the game last night?
    Reggie Miller is actually Naturally Stoned...