Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Artest trade update?

Default Re: Artest trade update?

Ron and Jackson for Odom would be fine in my book. Two head cases
    gone in one stroke and salary dump also.
    Then Croshere, Pollard, Bender, Reggie and Freddie are off the books
    next year or the year after. I would prefer to keep Croshere as he is
    good influence on the team.

owl

I know the cost of living is outragious, but I could move to LA. In fact maybe I could move in with LA

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know the cost of living is outragious, but I could move to LA. In fact maybe I could move in with LA

Sounds like you could use a change of scenery, too. C'mon out, UB, the water is fine.

Hey all - I'm the writer over at HOOPSWORLD.com and wanted to drop a couple of things on you:

1) Caron Butler is considered a poison-pill contract since he signed an extension that has not kicked in. His salary via trade is computed one way as the average of his entire deal (something like $7 million)- but the other way as just $2.46. That makes a direct swap nearly impossible. Though a 3-way deal could be fashioned - that's not the rumor - and personally I don't think there's any truth to it whatsoever. Certainly Atkins can be had and possibly Jefferies - but I haven't heard of any such offer.

2) The Lakers would not want Jeff Foster. They are still committed to the 2007 plan and though they have always liked Foster, his salary runs too long. Acquiring Artest for Odom improves their cap space in 2007 by about $6 million - giving them a chance to land a max free agent - and possibly keep Kwame Brown should he develop. Some may say fat chance - so Artest gives them the space to land a max free agent and also sign another player at a rate likely higher than the mid-level exception. Best guess on the throw in player would be Pollard for the ending contract. Although LA would love to have Croshere - my sense is that he's been too solid for the Pacers to move at this point - ironic considering how they've been trying to dump him for years. I don't think there's any question that LA would jump on a Artest, Croshere for Odom deal - but that's not what I heard is in the cards.

3) The Pacers are VERY unlikley to trade Jonathan Bender at this point. He's another player the Lakers have been trying to acquire for years - ever since the McDonald's All-American game. They even tried to draft him but other priorities got in the way. The reason the Pacers won't trade Bender - is that his retirement takes his salary completely off the cap immediately. Even though Indy waived Reggie with the Amnesty, they're still about $6 million or so over the luxury tax threshold. Not only would they be paying that amount in taxes - they would also not be a receipient of the redistributed taxes paid to all teams under the threshold equally. All together it could be a loss of near $10 million (estimate). If Bender retires - that's $7 million that drops off from the lux tax number and suddenly the Pacers are below the threshold. Look for the Pacers to take on equal or less salary in an Artest swap - not more - unless there's a player coming in that is so overwhelming it's worth the extra money (doubtful that's Odom). (PS There was a Laker rumor that LA did offer Odom for Artest + Bender and were shot down because of the above reason).

4) There is a rumor about a three-way with last years going to Toronto - Odom going to Indy and Jalen Rose with Artest going to the Lakers. I've also heard that Toronto is in the running for Artest - in fact if I were to re-write the article I'd move them up to the top five. I'm not sure they'd help LA land Artest unless Indiana told them they are flat out of the race. In that case they may consider dumping Jalen's contract - but I wouldn't bet on it at this point. This sounds like an offer made by the Lakers to the Raptors and Pacers that was not accepted by either party. The odd timing was the next day after I heard the rumor, both Jalen Rose and Aaron Williams (both rumored to LA in the deal) got huge minutes. In fact Williams had a career high 16 after getting 16 of 17 DNP-CD's all season. Interesting timing doesn't make a rumor true though.

If anyone has any info they can share - hit me up at epincus@hoopsworld.com - specifically Diamond Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This post shouldn't go unnoticed. I watched a few minutes of the Detroit/Golden State game last night and one of the announcers was talking about how Rasheed has left all that silliness behind him and has found a home in Detroit, becoming the cornerstone of that team and one of the most respected players in the league. And of course that got me to thinking about Ron and Los Angeles. This could very well be a place that Ron flourishes. LA is for freaks. And Ron is a freak. If LA and Phil have a settling effect on Ron, as Detroit did on Sheed, we could be putting LA back on track to being a dominant team. Kobe and Ron? Holy crap. LA is one place where I do not want to see Ron go. Say what you will about Ron, but he can immediately turn a team into a strong playoff contender. And once you're in the playoffs (think of Phil, Kobe and Ron), anything can happen.

Maybe this would prompt Mullin to make a deal with us.
    Yup. I'm hoping the fear of LA becoming dominant again (because when they are good everything seems to swing their way) makes some GM get crazy and offer us sometthing very nice.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Thanks for dropping by, Eric. I lurk on LakersGround.net occasionally and I remember reading you often during the Bender rumors.

Sports Logo

^^^Thanks for the info....I have a feeling that Walsh has received offers.....but there are little things here and there that he doesn't like...or more specifically....details in the offer....that he won't compromise on....hence the delay in accepting a trade offer.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Pincus
    Hey all - I'm the writer over at HOOPSWORLD.com and wanted to drop a couple of things on you:

1) Caron Butler is considered a poison-pill contract since he signed an extension that has not kicked in. His salary via trade is computed one way as the average of his entire deal (something like $7 million)- but the other way as just $2.46. That makes a direct swap nearly impossible. Though a 3-way deal could be fashioned - that's not the rumor - and personally I don't think there's any truth to it whatsoever. Certainly Atkins can be had and possibly Jefferies - but I haven't heard of any such offer.

2) The Lakers would not want Jeff Foster. They are still committed to the 2007 plan and though they have always liked Foster, his salary runs too long. Acquiring Artest for Odom improves their cap space in 2007 by about $6 million - giving them a chance to land a max free agent - and possibly keep Kwame Brown should he develop. Some may say fat chance - so Artest gives them the space to land a max free agent and also sign another player at a rate likely higher than the mid-level exception. Best guess on the throw in player would be Pollard for the ending contract. Although LA would love to have Croshere - my sense is that he's been too solid for the Pacers to move at this point - ironic considering how they've been trying to dump him for years. I don't think there's any question that LA would jump on a Artest, Croshere for Odom deal - but that's not what I heard is in the cards.

3) The Pacers are VERY unlikley to trade Jonathan Bender at this point. He's another player the Lakers have been trying to acquire for years - ever since the McDonald's All-American game. They even tried to draft him but other priorities got in the way. The reason the Pacers won't trade Bender - is that his retirement takes his salary completely off the cap immediately. Even though Indy waived Reggie with the Amnesty, they're still about $6 million or so over the luxury tax threshold. Not only would they be paying that amount in taxes - they would also not be a receipient of the redistributed taxes paid to all teams under the threshold equally. All together it could be a loss of near $10 million (estimate). If Bender retires - that's $7 million that drops off from the lux tax number and suddenly the Pacers are below the threshold. Look for the Pacers to take on equal or less salary in an Artest swap - not more - unless there's a player coming in that is so overwhelming it's worth the extra money (doubtful that's Odom). (PS There was a Laker rumor that LA did offer Odom for Artest + Bender and were shot down because of the above reason).

4) There is a rumor about a three-way with last years going to Toronto - Odom going to Indy and Jalen Rose with Artest going to the Lakers. I've also heard that Toronto is in the running for Artest - in fact if I were to re-write the article I'd move them up to the top five. I'm not sure they'd help LA land Artest unless Indiana told them they are flat out of the race. In that case they may consider dumping Jalen's contract - but I wouldn't bet on it at this point. This sounds like an offer made by the Lakers to the Raptors and Pacers that was not accepted by either party. The odd timing was the next day after I heard the rumor, both Jalen Rose and Aaron Williams (both rumored to LA in the deal) got huge minutes. In fact Williams had a career high 16 after getting 16 of 17 DNP-CD's all season. Interesting timing doesn't make a rumor true though.

If anyone has any info they can share - hit me up at epincus@hoopsworld.com - specifically Diamond Dave.
    Thanks for the info!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully something will get done soon.

Seriously who gives a damn what Lakers fans say about Ron if he goes over there. If we can get a player like Lamar Odom for him, I seriously dont give a **** what the Lakers will do. This is about our team playing good not about what Lakers fans say at your job.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Seriously who gives a damn what Lakers fans say about Ron if he goes over there. If we can get a player like Lamar Odom for him, I seriously dont give a **** what the Lakers will do. This is about our team playing good not about what Lakers fans say at your job.
    I don't have a "job" that requires me put up with co-workers, so that's not it. But regardless, I was being somewhat facetious. I just don't like the idea of making the Lakers better. I'd rather see a deal involving Golden State.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav
    Wow. I know you all are most interested in direct implications for the Pacers. But Kobe + Artest sounds a whole lot like Jordan + Pippen. If this deal goes through and if Ron behaves it could shift the balance of power in the West. And it's probably a worst case scenario for Dallas.
    I predict that RA will screw up LA and Kobe. RA will cry because Kobe had another 40 -50 pt game and he's not getting his touches and wants to renegotiate.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

I don't have a "job" that requires me put up with co-workers, so that's not it. But regardless, I was being somewhat facetious. I just don't like the idea of making the Lakers better. I'd rather see a deal involving Golden State.
    And get what Mike Dunleavy?

Who would you rather have Lamar Odom or Mike Dunleavy?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i think who we want from gs is pietrus+diogu or biedrins, which both fill more glaring needs for the future and are a lot cheaper than odom who plays JO's position.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yup! Golden State seems to have the best assets for us, considering both the size of contracts, our salary cap situation and the stage the Warriors players are in their respective careers now. I'm mainly talking about Pietrus, Biedrins and Ike NOT Dunleavy.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Harmonica

And get what Mike Dunleavy?
    God, I hope not. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of their younger guys. Pietrus, Diogu or Biedrins would do.

BTW - I just heard that the Lakers will not be trading Odom for Artest. I'm not sure if there was an offer that was rejected - or ultimately an offer was never made. Usually the true facts don't come out until a few months after a deal is complete - when the info is no longer so touchy.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash
    i think who we want from gs is pietrus+diogu or biedrins, which both fill more glaring needs for the future and are a lot cheaper than odom who plays JO's position.
    Yup! However, I don't think the Warriors are stupid enough to do that UNLESS they do really want Ron and have so far tried to keep the price for him down by making relatively small offers (if they have at all).

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash
    I like that, but I'm starting to think that Donnie is trying to get even more.

Mullin wont give up Ike, he is the only person on their team that can score in the post

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mullin wont give up Ike, he is the only person on their team that can score in the post
    which is why i said ike or biedrins

Harmonica

Yeah, but then he'd have Ron. Ron is a beast when he drives to the hoop.

I wonder if Walsh could get a deal done by New year eve's.... cause I can't take this anymore.

Naptown Seth

I agree with Jermaniac. The Pacers only priority is themselves. The only way I'd ever care about the team that gets Artest is if its an Eastern Conference team or the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Stats don't tell the whole story. AL is a solid team guy and leader. on the court and off. We are dumping a hugely talented guy BECAUSE he's a nutcase and causes dissention on his team. We NEED character guys more so now than we ever have. ANd that USED to be the hallmark of the Pacers organization. THat's a solid AA for Al right there in any trade consideration. He makes Jermaine a tough enough center if that's where he's going to play. Does Odam help with that? (I don't know personally), then there's the past drug issues. You can say "in the past", but given what they've just gone through with Ron, I would be very surprised if past drug problems wouldn't be a very big deal to Donnie. JMO
    I can't recall Odom having a serious character issue since he left the Clippers 2.5 years ago. According to HERE, Odom actually won a Community Assist Award in ay of 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    Ron and Jackson for Odom would be fine in my book. Two head cases
    gone in one stroke and salary dump also.
    Then Croshere, Pollard, Bender, Reggie and Freddie are off the books
    next year or the year after. I would prefer to keep Croshere as he is
    good influence on the team.

owl
    You should be able to get alot more for ron and jack