Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Artest trade update?

Default Re: Artest trade update?

Whooo Hoooo!

and how many times has lamar odom gotten in trouble/suspended for drug abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by croz24
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and how many times has lamar odom gotten in trouble/suspended for drug abuse?
    He's been drug free for 2-3 years.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh please NO!!! We cannot help the (*&*%$%&^ Lakers get any better. I'd rather lose to the Knicks 3 out of 4 than to have the media circus that will once again surround the Lakers should they get Ronnie.

Once again...Nicholson and Penny Marshall Redux...Live at the Palace.

Ronnie to the Lakers? Stern will forgive all and buy Ronnie new Choir Robes.

Please, don't let this happen. (If it does, could somebody slip some No-Doze into Ronnies Mt. Dew?)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Naptown Seth

Odom is the perfect complimentary player. Jack-of-all-trades, can score 14-18, pick up 8-10 rebounds, dish out 4-6 assists, and in the right system, play solid defense.
    His versatility would also fit in well with the team. We could go big, go small, go in between. He'd help our rebounding a lot (provided Foster wasnt a part of the deal). And as we know, the Pacers have been able to bring out the best in players over the past decade, and theres no reason to believe the same wouldnt happen with Lamar.
    To sum it all up - a JO/Odom/Granger front court for the next decade is enough to give me wet dreams. I could see those 3 combining for 55 points, 28 rebounds, and 6 blocks in the not so distant future,

If the Lakers are offering Odom, I don't see how Donnie Walsh could possibly turn it down.

Because Lamar Odom has a big contract, the best trade for the Pacers financially might be this:

Lamar Odom

for

Ron Artest and Jon Bender's contract (to be bought out with the Pacers contributing the max allowed of 3 million toward the buyout)

Pacers might wind up ahead financially plus the team doesn't have to give away extra talent besides Artest to get Odom.

Maybe other teams in the west will catch wind of this and up the bidding a little. Of course DW would never do that.

I was just looking at Odom's contract. Wow.

2006 - 11.5 (this season)
    2007 - 12.5
    2008 - 13.5
    2009 - 14.5

That is a lot of money, a ton of money. Odom is very talanted, and I think he might do very well here. But we need to realize right now this is a drastic change for the Pacers team. He is a power forward who is really only effective when he has the ball. That is why Phil Jackson is not too pleased with him right now.

If we add Odom, then other changes are needed. The Pacers will need to chancge their offense significantly. Odom is a unique player. And you need to use him in unique ways or you are wasting his talents.

Odom needs the ball on clearouts, both the wing at the top of the key. He is excellent in pick and rolls, both as the screener and the ballhandler.

But I'm telling you right now. If the Pacers trade Ron and salary filler for Odom, things won't go smoothly. Think when Webber was acquired by the Sixers.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    I'd do Artest & Pollard for Odom.

Tinsley/AJ
    Saras/Fred
    Jax/Granger
    Odom/Croshere
    JO/Foster
    I think everybody NOT involded with our salary structure and not having to pay players would do that. Alas, Walsh made it clear that the salary level is too high currently and he wants it brought down (and I aggree with him mostly).

Pollard, I don't think he will be moved unless we package him together with another player for an even larger expiring contract.

I think the topicstarter, Dave, is right and the Lakers want Foster to atleast get SOME rebounds. Otherwise, maybe Tinsley, though wouldn't they think he's too risky either with regards to his injury history?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Maybe this news will force the Clippers to up their offer to include Magette. I think he might be a better fit for the Pacers (playing both SG and SF) and at a lower price tag.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Al is a very good player, but I would take Odom for the following reasons:

1) He averages 9-10 rebounds per game, Al averages about 7.
    2) He averages 4-5 assists per game. He has cut down on turnovers, and now has about a 2:1 assist/turnover ratio. Al has improved, but is only at about 3 assists per game. Al only has a 1:1 assist/turnover ratio.
    3) He is considerably better at blocking shots...like 3 fold.
    4) I believe Odom handles the ball better than Al. Just a subjective observation. I think that is one of the reasons his assist numbers are fairly high. I also think that Odom play multiple positions better than Al, but that is purely an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I was just looking at Odom's contract. Wow.

2006 - 11.5 (this season)
    2007 - 12.5
    2008 - 13.5
    2009 - 14.5
    That would be painful, but Baby Al will want similar numbers this summer...or something slightly lower.

A much better fit for the Pacers is a new SG. Hopefully DW gets it done.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Oh please NO!!! We cannot help the (*&*%$%&^ Lakers get any better. I'd rather lose to the Knicks 3 out of 4 than to have the media circus that will once again surround the Lakers should they get Ronnie.

Once again...Nicholson and Penny Marshall Redux...Live at the Palace.

Ronnie to the Lakers? Stern will forgive all and buy Ronnie new Choir Robes.

Please, don't let this happen. (If it does, could somebody slip some No-Doze into Ronnies Mt. Dew?)
    This post shouldn't go unnoticed. I watched a few minutes of the Detroit/Golden State game last night and one of the announcers was talking about how Rasheed has left all that silliness behind him and has found a home in Detroit, becoming the cornerstone of that team and one of the most respected players in the league. And of course that got me to thinking about Ron and Los Angeles. This could very well be a place that Ron flourishes. LA is for freaks. And Ron is a freak. If LA and Phil have a settling effect on Ron, as Detroit did on Sheed, we could be putting LA back on track to being a dominant team. Kobe and Ron? Holy crap. LA is one place where I do not want to see Ron go. Say what you will about Ron, but he can immediately turn a team into a strong playoff contender. And once you're in the playoffs (think of Phil, Kobe and Ron), anything can happen.

Maybe this would prompt Mullin to make a deal with us.

Odom is a nice player but if we got him then you would have to wonder about another trade before the deadline. Because Walsh has made it known that he wants to get below the LT line.

I don't care where Ron goes, as long as we get the best deal possible. Donnie has stated the same as well.

Donnie has coveted Odom since '99, possibly even earlier. Ron/Cro for Odom/McKie works. I know a lot of you want to hang on to Cro, but as of yesterday, he's been demoted to the bench, and we all know what that does to his game. He'd get a lot of minutes in LA. Plus, I would think him getting to play back home would mitigate the distate of still having to play with Ron.

Tinsley
    Jack
    Odom
    JO
    Foster

w/ the same rotation I spelled out for Al, where Danny replaces Jeff and JO and Lamar move up a spot.

I'm starting to fear that Donnie is overthinking things, mainly because he doesn't like losing a talent like Ron. Please Donnie, just pull the trigger!

[edit] Seriously, we need to do this as soon as possible, before Magic gets a chance to knock some sense into TPTB out there.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Odom is a nice player but if we got him then you would have to wonder about another trade before the deadline. Because Walsh has made it known that he wants to get below the LT line.
    Get Odom and then, at the deadline, trade him and Sjax for your SG of the future (and possibly a back up big man) like:

- Joe Johnson & Zaza Pachulia
    - Ben Gordon & Mike Sweetney
    - Ray Allen & Potapenko (I doubt that Seattle would part with Allen).
    - JR Smith & David West
    - T-Mac
    - VC and Mark Jackson

I've not looked at the contracts, so very few of these trades may actually be possible.

Pacesetter

I know alot of people here like Odom, but I've never felt any of that. Bringing in here would be a sad day to me. Someone like Rashard Lewis seems like a guy with passion and ability, I dunno.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I don't care where Ron goes, as long as we get the best deal possible. Donnie has stated the same as well.

Donnie has coveted Odom since '99, possibly even earlier. Ron/Cro for Odom/McKie works. I know a lot of you want to hang on to Cro, but as of yesterday, he's been demoted to the bench, and we all know what that does to his game. He'd get a lot of minutes in LA. Plus, I would think him getting to play back home would mitigate the distate of still having to play with Ron.

Tinsley
    Jack
    Odom
    JO
    Foster

w/ the same rotation I spelled out for Al, where Danny replaces Jeff and JO and Lamar move up a spot.

I'm starting to fear that Donnie is overthinking things, mainly because he doesn't like losing a talent like Ron. Please Donnie, just pull the trigger!

[edit] Seriously, we need to do this as soon as possible, before Magic gets a chance to knock some sense into TPTB out there.
    Okay, let me put it another way: I don't want Ron out here in LA because I don't want to have to hear about him for 8 months out of the year. I take it you've never had to deal with Lakers bandwagon fans up close and personal for an extended period of time. Everywhere you drive with those silly pennants on their cars flapping in the wind. This is when they're winning, of course. You never see them otherwise. But it's like a plague that spreads across the city. Every bar you walk into, rowdy Lakers bandwagon fans. The hootin' and hollerin'. It's nauseating. Please, don't send Ron here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Okay, let me put it another way: I don't want Ron out here in LA because I don't want to have to hear about him for 8 months out of the year. I take it you've never had to deal with Lakers bandwagon fans up close and personal for an extended period of time. Everywhere you drive with those silly pennants on their cars flapping in the wind. This is when they're winning, of course. You never see them otherwise. But it's like a plague that spreads across the city. Every bar you walk into, rowdy Lakers bandwagon fans. The hootin' and hollerin'. It's nauseating. Please, don't send Ron here.
    Good point, that would suck.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mav
    Wow. I know you all are most interested in direct implications for the Pacers. But Kobe + Artest sounds a whole lot like Jordan + Pippen. If this deal goes through and if Ron behaves it could shift the balance of power in the West. And it's probably a worst case scenario for Dallas.

You are making the assumption that Ron will somehow be a changed man in LA (or anywhere) and thus be an asset.
    You know what they say about "when you assume"?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Ron may help initially but how long before he wants to go home or
    produce a record or destroy team chemistry? I love Ron's game but I am tired of the distractions. Send Odom now.

owl

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    Al is a very good player, but I would take Odom for the following reasons:

1) He averages 9-10 rebounds per game, Al averages about 7.
    2) He averages 4-5 assists per game. He has cut down on turnovers, and now has about a 2:1 assist/turnover ratio. Al has improved, but is only at about 3 assists per game. Al only has a 1:1 assist/turnover ratio.
    3) He is considerably better at blocking shots...like 3 fold.
    4) I believe Odom handles the ball better than Al. Just a subjective observation. I think that is one of the reasons his assist numbers are fairly high. I also think that Odom play multiple positions better than Al, but that is purely an opinion.

Stats don't tell the whole story. AL is a solid team guy and leader. on the court and off. We are dumping a hugely talented guy BECAUSE he's a nutcase and causes dissention on his team. We NEED character guys more so now than we ever have. ANd that USED to be the hallmark of the Pacers organization. THat's a solid AA for Al right there in any trade consideration. He makes Jermaine a tough enough center if that's where he's going to play. Does Odam help with that? (I don't know personally), then there's the past drug issues. You can say "in the past", but given what they've just gone through with Ron, I would be very surprised if past drug problems wouldn't be a very big deal to Donnie. JMO

Ron will help them for a year, maybe two. Then it will be over. He'll either bail as a FA, or get re-signed and tear up chemistry.

Odom on the Pacers?...you know, it's ironic that if the Clippers had taken Bender at #4, we'd have gotten Odom at #5...he's also fairly young, if I recall correctly, as he entered the draft after his freshman year at Rhode Island

The only thing I really hate about this is that it makes the Lakers stronger...and I just hate that. Too bad we can gut them a little more on this...

like Artest/Croshere/Pollard...for Odom/Bynum/Mihm (I know, wishful thinking).

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Story of my ****ing life.

Amen brother. I don't think I could possibly handle the man who destroyed my team coming into my city as a hero.

It took only one year out of the playoffs for 5 million Lakers fans to dissapear. Lately it's been "I've always followed the Clippers".

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Even if Ron plays the good soldier, San Antonio is still better.