Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news: James Dungy, Tony Dungy's son, found dead in Tampa appartment.

Default Re: Breaking news: James Dungy, Tony Dungy's son, found dead in Tampa appartment.

Please understand I'm not posting this to be rude, just trying to understand where the young man was at in his life.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=41899442
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Breaking news: James Dungy, Tony Dungy's son, found dead in Tampa appartment.

This news is both tragic and heartwrenching. You hate for this to happen to any parent but especially someone as genuine and good as Coach Dungy.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Dungy family during this difficult time.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is just horrible news, and the timing couldn't be worse. Like everyone, I send my thoughts and prayers out to the Dungy family.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This is just horrible news, and the timing couldn't be worse. Like everyone, I send my thoughts and prayers out to the Dungy family.
    Timing couldn't be worse for who? When would the timing have been better?

My Condolences to the Dungy family

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Timing couldn't be worse for who? When would the timing have been better?
    I think the people referencing the fact that it happened this close to Christmas is the only thing on people's minds. It is obvious that it is a horrible thing, whenever it would happen.
    I don't believe that anyone is being anything other than remorseful and caring to the Dungy family at this time, and now isn't the time to debate and pick apart people's thoughts and thoughtful posts.

I read in several national writers' comments that it is especially hard at a time like the holidays to have something like this befall a family. The truth of the matter is just that. It is horrible one way or the other, but it seems worse when tragedy strikes during the holiday season.

Let's think about and be thoughtful of the people involved and not worry so much about the wording of people's posts offering condolences.....

Just my opinion...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

My prayers go out to Tony Dungy and family. Horribly tragic.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Thoughts go out to the Dungys.

Heres some more on the story: http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=4277778

I guess they think it could be a suicide...tragic...as others have said, prayers go out to the Dungy family...

On a sports level, I think that Dungy will likely retire if we win the Super Bowl...

Anyone know anything about the backup coach?

Very sad news indeed... RIP
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

Maybe it's my age but have you ever noticed that when a child dies the world does stop for a moment. Nothing else matters. I struggle with this. It is the very thing that shakes the foundation of Faith. How could there be a man of more Faith than Tony? Can you think of a man more dedicated to making other men better fathers? Do you know of any coach more caring of his players? Is there anyone in a community more well-liked and respected? Tony Dungy is the man we all want to be. Tony Dungy is a beacon of Faith. So I ask the unanswerable question. Why?

I've heard comments made by those who have children saying only a parent could understand. I am a parent. I don't understand nor do I think those others do either. My child is vibrant and alive. My mind will not allow me to go to the place that Tony is right now. It is impossible. You can't imagine.

I doubt his Faith will waiver. He will understand the answer and the reason long before I will. I hope with all my heart he and his family find the strength to handle this. I wish comfort was just a prayer away. Nobody deserves this kind of anguish - especially a Tony Dungy.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    I think the people referencing the fact that it happened this close to Christmas is the only thing on people's minds. It is obvious that it is a horrible thing, whenever it would happen.

I don't believe that anyone is being anything other than remorseful and caring to the Dungy family at this time, and now isn't the time to debate and pick apart people's thoughts and thoughtful posts.

I read in several national writers' comments that it is especially hard at a time like the holidays to have something like this befall a family. The truth of the matter is just that. It is horrible one way or the other, but it seems worse when tragedy strikes during the holiday season.
    I know people are being sympathetic and remorseful, but I'm just trying to point out that the time of the year has very little to do with the devastation a family feels when they lose someone suddenly and unexpectedly. Especially when it's a child. That's all. I speak from personal experience.

I know people are being sympathetic and remorseful, but I'm just trying to point out that the time of the year has very little to do with the devastation a family feels when they lose someone suddenly and unexpectedly. Especially when it's a child. That's all. I speak from personal experience.
    I can respect the fact that you speak from personal experience.

I need not say more.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    Maybe it's my age but have you ever noticed that when a child dies the world does stop for a moment. Nothing else matters. I struggle with this. It is the very thing that shakes the foundation of Faith. How could there be a man of more Faith than Tony? Can you think of a man more dedicated to making other men better fathers? Do you know of any coach more caring of his players? Is there anyone in a community more well-liked and respected? Tony Dungy is the man we all want to be. Tony Dungy is a beacon of Faith. So I ask the unanswerable question. Why?

I've heard comments made by those who have children saying only a parent could understand. I am a parent. I don't understand nor do I think those others do either. My child is vibrant and alive. My mind will not allow me to go to the place that Tony is right now. It is impossible. You can't imagine.

I doubt his Faith will waiver. He will understand the answer and the reason long before I will. I hope with all my heart he and his family find the strength to handle this. I wish comfort was just a prayer away. Nobody deserves this kind of anguish - especially a Tony Dungy.
    Very eloquently stated, my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by PTstyle272
    wierd....its deleted now
    What was it?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    What was it?
    It was his myspace.com profile page. I saw it before it was deleted.

Harmonica, in memory of him maybe you could share a bit about him that you found on his page? Maybe the positives at least?

I've struggled with this all day. It really is bothersome. I presume TD is a great guy. Certainly he comes across as one. I pray for him. Mental illness is such a stigma in society and depression is something that we don't really respect enough. I hope maybe this makes us all think a bit more when a friend or loved one is struggling with things and maybe sending out signals looking for help. Please acknowledge your peers and loved ones. Almost every suicide is preventable. I'm not saying that was the case here, but I think this will become a cause that Coach will champion in the future.

And who cares if he retires. Who cares who is the next coach. Who cares if we win the Super Bowl. Sports mean nothing when it comes to life and death. I don't mean to take the comment out of context, but want to bring into picture what sports are and what reality is. No offense to Lemon Song.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    Harmonica, in memory of him maybe you could share a bit about him that you found on his page? Maybe the positives at least?

I've struggled with this all day. It really is bothersome. I presume TD is a great guy. Certainly he comes across as one. I pray for him. Mental illness is such a stigma in society and depression is something that we don't really respect enough. I hope maybe this makes us all think a bit more when a friend or loved one is struggling with things and maybe sending out signals looking for help. Please acknowledge your peers and loved ones. Almost every suicide is preventable. I'm not saying that was the case here, but I think this will become a cause that Coach will champion in the future.

And who cares if he retires. Who cares who is the next coach. Who cares if we win the Super Bowl. Sports mean nothing when it comes to life and death. I don't mean to take the comment out of context, but want to bring into picture what sports are and what reality is. No offense to Lemon Song.
    Word.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I very carefully requested positive comments young man. At this time I hope you don't mind if I request you consider deleting your post. Maybe there would be a place for it some time in the future, but not really now. Maybe tomorrow. Or next week. But now is a mourning time. Please respect that.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    I very carefully requested positive comments young man. At this time I hope you don't mind if I request you consider deleting your post. Maybe there would be a place for it some time in the future, but not really now. Maybe tomorrow. Or next week. But now is a mourning time. Please respect that.
    Thing is, there wasn't anything really positive on there. He seemed to be trying to come off as a thug (I use that word loosely). Seemed angry. Very antithetical to what you would expect considering his father's public persona. Maybe he was posturing or just playing around, I don't know. That's why I didn't comment further after I said I had seen it. But as RWB said, it does make you wonder where this young man was at in his life.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thing is, there wasn't anything really positive on there. He seemed to be trying to come off as a thug (I use that word loosely). Seemed very angry. Very antithetical to what you would expect considering his father's public persona. Maybe he was posturing or just playing around, I don't know. That's why I didn't comment further after I said I had seen it.
    Well said.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Zoe'sMan

Quote Originally Posted by PTstyle272
    on his page it said things like "fukk the police" and his pic was of him with a bandana over his face and his hood up...pictures of guns on the page...looked like alot of gang stuff
    I saw the same thing. Actually, I was shocked when I clicked on it and it opened. I guess I wasn't expecting to see everything that I saw on his page. I'm 24 and I still remember being a knucklehead, sometimes I still am. That age...that age is in between still being a kid, while learning to be an adult, strange high and low times. Crazy page though, and funny how it didn't take long for it to disappear. Out of respect, I understand.

Maybe that website was a call out for help. Who knows. But 18 yrs of age is a bit young to maybe understand some of the ignorance behind his statements. I guess 18 is a pretty adult age, but still I think its not a day to persecute a kid for ignorance.

Harmonica, I respect you and your decisionmaking a lot and I appreciate you withholding comment.

And in the same respect, maybe I shouldn't have snapped so easily when getting the response to my question. I guess I wasn't expecting to see what exactly he had posted on his website.

I cannot imagine that at his age, and given socioeconomics, that he really has been exposed to "the police". Growing up in Minny, Tampa, and Indy, it sounds like he probably was trying to fit in with a group? I don't know. Seems like he was a confused and troubled kid. Why didn't anyone see it??

I've really struggled with this issue all day and its keeping me awake tonight. I don't know why.

I don't live in Indy. I'm not a Colts fan. But I feel numb. I feel so bad for their family.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"