Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

  1. #1
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    I disagree. I honestly believe that Ron saw the possibilities other then going to New York, didn't like them, and changed his mind. I don't think Ron is smart enough to think that demanding a trade could lead to more touches if everything worked out.

  2. #2
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Tough lesson to learn huh PT?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  3. #3
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,783

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    The Timing of this all makes no sense to me

    If we was down 3-1 in the Play offs and Jermaine was sucking, sure say some stuff about you exploiting Tayshaun more on offence then JO stinking Vs Rasheed, but when the team is 10-5 or what ever we was and still gelling, makes no rational sense

    He knew what he was saying and what he wanted...


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  4. #4
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,076

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by PTstyle272
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    In my oppinion I dont think Ron ever wanted to leave the Pacers. And I think this is a logical view on what may have been the thought process in Rons mind.

    Obviously Ron wanted to be the go-to-guy on offense by him saying that he has a mismatch at all times against his opponent and he wanted to be more of a focal point in the offense. By going to the media and requesting a trade and telling his reasons why he wanted to leave (which he never really had any except for the Coach's scheme) I think what he thought would happen was that Rick would be urged by management to make him have a bigger role on the offensive side of the ball and that would be it.

    I think Ron thought this because of the way we stuck behind him throughout everything last year. I believe that in Ron's mind he thought to himself that this organization would do anything to keep him and by going public with his demand that he would get what he wanted....stay on the pacers...and that would be the end of it. As we all know that wasn't the case though.

    I think Ron more than anyone was surprised that Donnie decided that he would actually trade Ron instead of trying to please him which explains why he wants back on the team, he never wanted to leave! And now that he realized he is going to be shipped out he wants to come back and accept his role again....to little to late though in my oppinion. Donnie and the Pacers forgave Ron for everything he has done in the past.....but they havn't forgotten anything, and by Ron testing the waters once again on how far this team would go for him finally backfired and now he's going to be shipped out.
    I figured this theory would come up. I am certain his announcement was not thought out at all. If some thought had been put into it, he would have realized this had potential to significantly lower his value on the market....and of course his paycheck. There is no way he wanted this result. In any event, he is no longer worth the trouble. Just ask Donnie...someone who has twisted himself into a pretzel to hang onto.

  5. #5
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    The article happened just after we got destroyed by the Mavs and then Jax lit up the Wiz for 30. Ofcourse the offense will flow better when Jax is on fire, Ron gets it into his head that the team is better off without him. All that talk about not liking the system, maximizing his potential, backing up LeBron is just standard Ron crazy talk steming from the fact that he thought he was holding the team back.

  6. #6
    Pacesetter
    Guest

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    You could be right. With Ron there's never any rhyme or reason. All he'd of had to do was talk to Uncle Reggie, but knowing how Ron has responded to sage advice in the past he might of blanked Reggie as some folk hero, or some punk who was out of touch with modern times in the NBA. Sad really. Unfortunately, he had so many people pulling for him and he blew them ALL off! He should have dialed DD's number to find out how Donnie deals with taking private business matters public.


  7. #7
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,922

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    I said this when the whole Ron thing first happened and no one listened to me.

    Ron spoke out ONLY after two weeks of trade rumors. That was the reason he did that. In his mind he thought it would be better if he asked for a trade than if one happened to him that he did not want.

    I dont think he wanted to be traded at all, but after two weeks of speculation he poped. Its sort of like if you get dumped by a supermodel and you tell yourself you will be better off anyway so you start telling your friends your glad you guys broke up.

  8. #8
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    I do buy that he really didn't want traded. He wanted a change made to fit him. Now, who knows what that change was, but in the end it backfired on him. Bye Ron.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  9. #9
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said this when the whole Ron thing first happened and no one listened to me.

    Ron spoke out ONLY after two weeks of trade rumors. That was the reason he did that. In his mind he thought it would be better if he asked for a trade than if one happened to him that he did not want.

    I dont think he wanted to be traded at all, but after two weeks of speculation he poped. Its sort of like if you get dumped by a supermodel and you tell yourself you will be better off anyway so you start telling your friends your glad you guys broke up.
    If Ron is the equivilant of a supermodel, it's a supermodel with STDs.

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Or it can be deduced from Rick Bucher and Sam Smith that ...

    1) Ron's teammates were told before he came back that the best way to get him traded was to rehabilitate his image (so the Pacers could get "fair value")

    2) It didn't take long for the Pacers to begin shopping him. Larry Bird, who went out of his way to "welcome him back" was allegedly already working the phones to move him out. What if the Kings had said "yes"? You'd all be in up in arms but he'd already be gone.

    In retrospect, Ron was NEVER going to finish the season here. Period. This very public falling-out was exactly what the pro-Ron section of Pacers fans needed in order to accept his eventual trade. Otherwise, they would've bellyached for months and found others to blame (not that the others are blameless).

    Some of you still seem to have blinders on about this.

    The divorce was inevitable.

    Ron was not going to be here
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    cracktower
    Guest

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Ron is the equivilant of a supermodel, it's a supermodel with STDs.
    I would still give up a kidney to it once with Pamela Anderson , Herpes be damed. Can use a rubber

  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,988

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Otherwise, they would've bellyached for months

    I'm very offended. "months" it would have been years, and years.

  13. #13
    Member jrm7one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    I like PT's theory... It makes sense, in a Ron-Artest-sort-of-way.

    I always figured it to be the trade rumors though. He heard that he might be traded. Whether or not the rumors were true, Ron felt betrayed. So instead of confronting the enemies, he went to the media to say basically, "You know what, go ahead, trade me, I don't care!" Then it began to snowball into his tv interview where it turned into a trade demand.

    It also makes sense that he brought up names like New York and Cleveland, if there was any reason he didn't want to go to Sacramento other than it being in the West, to which he said he did not want to be traded.

  14. #14
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm very offended. "months" it would have been years, and years.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #15
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    hey jrm7one, I really like that sig. Where'd you get it? Or did you make it?

    As far as the trade being inevitable, I think Jay's right.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  16. #16
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said this when the whole Ron thing first happened and no one listened to me.

    Ron spoke out ONLY after two weeks of trade rumors. That was the reason he did that. In his mind he thought it would be better if he asked for a trade than if one happened to him that he did not want.

    I dont think he wanted to be traded at all, but after two weeks of speculation he poped. Its sort of like if you get dumped by a supermodel and you tell yourself you will be better off anyway so you start telling your friends your glad you guys broke up.

    I think this played into it some but only because a reporter stuck a microphone and a camera in his mug. I don't think Ron thought (or ever thinks) anything he says through. He pops off whatever he thinks to whoever he's talking to. To think Artest gave this much thought is giving the guy too much credit. I've come to the conclusion that Ron is just not very smart. He doesn't have the ability to think things through. I'm beginning to wonder if he can even put 2 thoughts together back to back.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  17. #17
    Member jrm7one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hey jrm7one, I really like that sig. Where'd you get it? Or did you make it?
    thanks, and yea its my own work

  18. #18
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,828

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    This talk of poor Ron not knowing what he was saying before he said it & it being the fault of evil Mike Wells is just whooey.

    I will bring back up my post here http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...t=16568&page=2

    Even Ron's biggest advocate on here, Uncle Buck, has admitted that Ron had been dissassociating himself from the team on the bench. I stated that Ron looked lethargic for games, all the way back to the west coast trip.

    No, Ron Artest knew exactly what he was saying & when he said it. Why is he backpeddling now?

    Well, I'm sure he did all of this without his agent knowing it. So I'm sure his agent has tried to convince Ron that this was a mistake.

    Ron beleives that this is the best way to get endorsements & make some extra money & I'm sure his agent's head about popped when he started to hear all of this.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  19. #19

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron Artest knew exactly what he was saying & when he said it. Why is he backpeddling now?

    Well, I'm sure he did all of this without his agent knowing it. So I'm sure his agent has tried to convince Ron that this was a mistake...his agent's head about popped when he started to hear all of this.
    I think that this is 100% right, but also I believe that Ron thought that he would be begged to reconsider and come back to the Pacers rather than blasted by fans, media, and teammates alike.

    He thought he would get some free publicity for his album/clothes/shoes/whatever and at the end of the day everybody would kiss his butt and beg to make up.

    Must have shocked him to find out that there is a limit to how much we can all take.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  20. #20
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    I think you guys give the guy way too much credit. He doesn't think before he speaks and in that he isn't alone. I know of many successful people who do the same thing. I really don't think he thought it would spiral out of control. I think some people around here are so obessed with saying they were right all along that they will refuse to even look at it differently just so they can say "I told you so", especially people who have been on a witch hunt. Obviously those who said Artest would do something stupid are right. I think even die hard Artest supporters knew he would do something stupid, just not this stupid.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  21. #21
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,189

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you guys give the guy way too much credit. He doesn't think before he speaks and in that he isn't alone. I know of many successful people who do the same thing. I really don't think he thought it would spiral out of control.
    This response would make sense had it been a locker room outburst or even a single line in an otherwise complete interview. The problem is that it was a position given in an interview called for the purpose, then supported and repeated in multiple subsequent interviews.

    This no longer fits the pattern of an unthinking "open mouth, insert foot". This fits the pattern of a decided course of action that was completely misdirected and harmful.

    I can forgive "open mouth, insert foot". I have a lot more trouble forgiving this kind of calculated stupidity.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  22. #22
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This response would make sense had it been a locker room outburst or even a single line in an otherwise complete interview. The problem is that it was a position given in an interview called for the purpose, then supported and repeated in multiple subsequent interviews.

    This no longer fits the pattern of an unthinking "open mouth, insert foot". This fits the pattern of a decided course of action that was completely misdirected and harmful.

    I can forgive "open mouth, insert foot". I have a lot more trouble forgiving this kind of calculated stupidity.

    I don't forgive him anymore either. I say get him out of here quick, but I still don't buy the whole well thought-out, master plan thing. The guy is not that smart. He definitely wanted the attention but he didn't really want to be traded and he had no idea it would spiral to this point. This is not a "T.O." thing. T.O.'s was definitely planned out - he even had his agent involved. He had a goal, had a laid out way of disrupting things to get his goal done. This is just a case of a spoiled athlete wanting attention and not thinking it through.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    40
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Trying to Put Myself in Ron's Shoes

    Ron needs a swift kick in the Artesticles before he's shipped outta naptown.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •