Thread: Former Pacer Mark Jackson might be coaching next year.

Default Former Pacer Mark Jackson might be coaching next year.

http://nypost.com/sports/44954.htm

JAX STILL EYES
    ST. JOHN'S JOB

By MARC BERMAN
    January 21, 2004 -- HOUSTON - Mark Jackson is delighted to be back in the NBA, joining Jeff Van Gundy's Rockets last week. But he realizes this is likely his last fling and a coaching career awaits on the horizon. St. John's will be searching for a new coach, and The Post has reported it has some interest in its proud point-guard alumnus.
    You can be assured the feeling is mutual.

"I heard there was a story that said I wasn't interested in it," Jackson said, smiling. "I just want them to get back to where the program is supposed to be. Down the road, if it happens, I'll never say I'm not interested in it. It's an ideal job and a great situation. I hope they find a great coach because that program deserves to be one of the elite in the country the way it has always been."

Well before Stephon Marbury, Jackson was the Brooklyn-born point guard hoping to lead the Knicks to the promised land. His dreams were dashed when they traded him to the Clippers in 1992 for Doc Rivers and Charles Smith. Even though he later returned to the Knicks, he always has wondered what might have been.

"There was a coach who hated me and a GM that hated me," said Jackson, referring to John MacLeod and Al Bianchi. "I think we would've won the championship if that group stayed together. Stephon doesn't have to run in that because he has people who believe in him and will put him in a position to succeed. They've done a great job in getting a young point guard who can play as well as anyone in the league."

Default Re: Former Pacer Mark Jackson might be coaching next year.

I know that it's popular to not like Mark in Indiana anymore, but I don't care.

I always thought he was a great point guard & was truely sad that they decided to let him walk. (No we won't go into that again because that is not what this post is about)

But Mark was a truely decent human being away from the court & his personall faith that he showed on the court he followed through away from the team.

My son was injured one year at his camp & Mark went out of his way to make sure he was ok & that he was taken care of. He even later came & posed for a picture with my son because he missed photo day due to the injury.

I hope Mark the best in Houston & I hope he takes that job at St. Johns.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I know that it's popular to not like Mark in Indiana anymore, but I don't care.

I always thought he was a great point guard & was truely sad that they decided to let him walk. (No we won't go into that again because that is not what this post is about)

But Mark was a truely decent human being away from the court & his personall faith that he showed on the court he followed through away from the team.

My son was injured one year at his camp & Mark went out of his way to make sure he was ok & that he was taken care of. He even later came & posed for a picture with my son because he missed photo day due to the injury.

I hope Mark the best in Houston & I hope he takes that job at St. Johns.

I always thought Mark Jackson was a great person and I have the utmost respect for him as such. He was the true leader of the pacers teams he played on.

I was never thrilled about his defense but that was not his fault, he was as good defensively as he could have been.

Great Post Peck

I think Jax will make a very good coach.

Sports Logo

I dont see how St. Johns could pass him up. Unless Majerus or someone like that is going to show up bring in Jax. He was a floor coach for a long time and he had a great NBA career. When colleges are recruiting I think his resume would land a lot of future NBA talent.

Let it be known that Mark Jackson is my favorite all-time player, so I was very excited when a team FINALLY gave him a chance to play again. I was also sort of mad at the Magic for firing Doc Rivers, because it looked like Mark was going to be doing some broadcasting until Doc swooped in and stole it away, so to speak. Anyway, I thought Mark was going into coaching after last season--I thought he'd be coaching the Knicks. I even sent in a question to Bruno's Mailbag or Ask Mark Montieth, I don't remember, but they did answer it hehe . I would love to see the man get a coaching job, especially with St. John's. I would rather have him keep playing, but I think that this may be Mark's last season.

Jeff Van Gundy on Mark Jackson.

"He's probably as slow laterally as any human who's ever played in the NBA and is still one of the great players and arguably you could say a Hall of Fame player."

http://nypost.com/sports/knicks/45002.htm
    Quote is at the bottom.