Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Earl Watson...

  1. #1
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Earl Watson...

    I haven't seen many nuggets games or heard much of Earl Watson. Would anyone who has seen a decent amount of his game care to give me a run down of what he brings to the table and maybe some players he is comparable to in playing style? Just curious to see if this trade rumor stuff is worth it, thanks to all- Money

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by jmoney2584
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't seen many nuggets games or heard much of Earl Watson. Would anyone who has seen a decent amount of his game care to give me a run down of what he brings to the table and maybe some players he is comparable to in playing style? Just curious to see if this trade rumor stuff is worth it, thanks to all- Money

    Many will say I overrate Earl Watson. He first caught my attention when Jerry West became the Grizzlies general manager. As soon as West became GM I started reading reports about how he wanted to acquire Earl Watson. So that got my attention.

    Watson is very solid, he's not flashy at all. He makes very, very few mistakes or turnovers, that is one reason why coaches like him and why he often was on the court in the 4th quarter during his time in Memphis. However he certainly is not the playmaker Tinsley is or the passer Saras is. He is not a pure point guard. He is a decent shooter, but that is not his forte.

    Earl is mainly known for his defense, he is an excellent defender, one of the better defending point guards in the NBA. That is what he's known for.

    From what I know he is a good guy who won't cause any problems. He signed with the Nuggests and hasn't played much, but he hasn't caused any problems.

    Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying though he is a backup point guard.

  3. #3
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    thanks UB, good synopsis as always- Money

  4. #4
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    He sounds like AJ, except he is better at his strengths and his weaknesses are less glaring. That said if LB/DW decide that Saras should be a starter, Watson sounds like an excellent backup.

  5. #5
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,853

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    He is far superior to AJ but he is nothing to get excited about.

  6. #6
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Being far superior to AJ is pretty good. AJ is no superstar but i by no means think he is a bad ball player and i disagree with a lot of the AJ hate on the forum. IMO AJ is a good baller, just not the guy you want to rely on as your backup PG, he is a SOLID 3rd string PG and a decent to good SG filler.- Money

  7. #7
    Diesel_81
    Guest

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Earl is mainly known for his defense, he is an excellent defender, one of the better defending point guards in the NBA. That is what he's known for.

    Excellent point. Very few point guards can apply pressure 94feet from the basket like he does. He would fit in great as a backup pg.

    I could have sworn he had some problems in Memphis getting along with his teammates and Mike Fratello.

  8. #8
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,532

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Many will say I overrate Earl Watson. He first caught my attention when Jerry West became the Grizzlies general manager. As soon as West became GM I started reading reports about how he wanted to acquire Earl Watson. So that got my attention.

    Watson is very solid, he's not flashy at all. He makes very, very few mistakes or turnovers, that is one reason why coaches like him and why he often was on the court in the 4th quarter during his time in Memphis. However he certainly is not the playmaker Tinsley is or the passer Saras is. He is not a pure point guard. He is a decent shooter, but that is not his forte.

    Earl is mainly known for his defense, he is an excellent defender, one of the better defending point guards in the NBA. That is what he's known for.

    From what I know he is a good guy who won't cause any problems. He signed with the Nuggests and hasn't played much, but he hasn't caused any problems.

    Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying though he is a backup point guard.
    Now if Tinsly can stay healthy for the rest of the season...then I would be fine with him....the problem isn't IF he will remain healthy....its a matter of when he is going to get injured again.

    These are the very reasons why I wouldn't mind figuring out a way to trade Tinsley ( yes....Tinsley...I said it ) and ultimately have a solid ( yet durable ) PG rotation of Sarunas/Watson/AJ that doesn't make mistakes. I would much rather have a non-flashy but durable PG rotation that is reliable.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very few point guards can apply pressure 94feet from the basket like he does. He would fit in great as a backup pg.

    I could have sworn he had some problems in Memphis getting along with his teammates and Mike Fratello.
    I don't recall him having any problems like that, but I could be wrong.


    But your first point is right on. Watson is a guy who can pressure 94 feet and I think that is so vital. Not because you are going to get a bunch of steals, but if you can cause the other team to use another 4 seconds or so to get the ball up it messes up their offense. Well we've seen it with AJ.

    I didn't want to say that earl is like AJ, but they really are similar. Earl is a better defender, and much better at pressuring the ball. But neither are playmakers, although Earl might be slightly better. Both also are decent shooters if they are open and have time to get their feet set. The best thing I can say about Watson is he's very steady. But if you are looking for a playmaker or a Marbury type who can really penetrate and score, than Earl is not your man

  10. #10
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,244
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    OK, I've seen the reoprts about Watson and how the P's are supposedly scouting him (Just how does anybody know who we are there to observe???).

    So, that would give us 5 PG's...JUST HOW THE FLOCK MANY TRADES ARE WE THINKING OF DOING HERE ANYWAY???????????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, I've seen the reoprts about Watson and how the P's are supposedly scouting him (Just how does anybody know who we are there to observe???).

    So, that would give us 5 PG's...JUST HOW THE FLOCK MANY TRADES ARE WE THINKING OF DOING HERE ANYWAY???????????

    Who else on the Nuggets would we be scouting. Mello - No. Camby - No I think he missed the game on Sunday. Andre Miller - I suppose it's possible.

  12. #12
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,244
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who else on the Nuggets would we be scouting. Mello - No. Camby - No I think he missed the game on Sunday. Andre Miller - I suppose it's possible.

    Kmart?




    Kmart and JO on the same team......
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  13. #13

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    I think that Buck's synopsis of his defense is good. I also think that he is a much better ballhandler than AJ, can penetrate more, and is a better passer. Not as good as Tins in delivering the rock at precisely the right time and place, but very good.

    He would be a very good backup on a team stressing defensive intensity.

    I think that for several years now our main defensive weakness has been defending quick PGs. A defensive backup with SPEED and good defensive instincts will at least give us the option of making it as difficult as possible on at least a few key posessions a game for the Steve Francis/Tony Parker/Allen Iverson/TJ Ford/Speedy Claxton/Rafer-freakin'-Alston types from breaking down our D.

    Again this should not be the major component of the payback from a Artest trade, that should be a starter or very high draft pick, but it would be a very nice addition.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    I would love to have Watson from your description UB. The thing is I like steady PG play. We have tried the flashy (I don't mean that in a negative way) style for a while now and I like what Tinsley can do but it is his inconsistency at being able to play that creates problems. We as a team cannot go through stretches of the season without our starting PG. That's why I think Tins. may be on the block.

  15. #15
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,532

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Let me ask you guys this.....which would you rather have?

    Tinsley / Sarunas / Watson ( clearly the better PG rotation.......flashy....more dynamic and perhaps a little difficult to play against...but less reliable due to the "Tinsley" injury factor )

    or

    Sarunas/Watson/AJ ( not as flashy as the Tinsley/Sarunas/Watson PG rotation.......but far more solid...as in more consistent due to the lack of the "Tinsley" injury factor and perhaps more dependable in the long run )

    I am leaning towards the Sarunas/Watson/AJ PG rotation ( preferably with Watson leading the PG rotation with Sarunas splitting time at the PG/SG spot ) due to the need for consistency in the PG rotation. We may lose some scoring and playmaking ability that Tinsley has....but that's the price we have to pay to get a more solid and reliable lineup.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me ask you guys this.....which would you rather have?

    Tinsley / Sarunas / Watson ( clearly the better PG rotation.......flashy....more dynamic and perhaps a little difficult to play against...but less reliable due to the "Tinsley" injury factor )

    or

    Sarunas/Watson/AJ ( not as flashy as the Tinsley/Sarunas/Watson PG rotation.......but far more solid...as in more consistent due to the lack of the "Tinsley" injury factor and perhaps more dependable in the long run )

    I am leaning towards the Sarunas/Watson/AJ PG rotation ( preferably with Watson leading the PG rotation with Sarunas splitting time at the PG/SG spot ) due to the need for consistency in the PG rotation. We may lose some scoring and playmaking ability that Tinsley has....but that's the price we have to pay to get a more solid and reliable lineup.
    I like door #2. My belief is that we need something that is consistent from day 1 to day 82 + playoffs. We may lose a little in the immediate but in the long run I think we will be better.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Seems obvious to me if we take Earl we are planning on trading him or one of the other three guards who currently get PT.

    There is also no way we can re-sign Al Harrington or Nene without picking up another expiring contract. That's largely what the trade of the point guard would accomplish I would imagine.

    I don't want to throw cold water on an Al Harrington trade, but I think it is going to take one heck of an offer to pry Al away from Billy Knight right now. Hawks are playing well.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who else on the Nuggets would we be scouting. Mello - No. Camby - No I think he missed the game on Sunday. Andre Miller - I suppose it's possible.
    I would at least be taking a peek at Nene. Lotta tough decisions involved with him - what's the prognosis on the knee, what are the chances of re-signing him, etc. But if I was DW I'd at least want to look at him if the Nuggets are willing to deal.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #19
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Artest and Tinsley for Watson and K-mart? hmm...i can hear the defense chants as i type...

  20. #20
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,532

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Defensively.....its solid....if the goal is to get a player that can remain relatively healthy....then KMart isn't the answer.

    Ignoring how on earth we would figure out how to play both JONeal and KMart......I would much rather pay the long term contract for Nene since he can play some Center minutes as well.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #21
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    we could just run a G-G-F-F-F line-up and keep JO at center, he's pretty used to it by now. I'm not trying to argue that this is a perfect trade by any means, i am just a fan of K-Mart and the defense of Martin, O'neal, and Granger would be the equivalent of The Wallaces and Tayshaun.

  22. #22
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,532

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    If push comes to shove....KMart is a very solid defensive PF...who bangs in side...essentially an "enforcer" on any team he plays. I would live with it....but I am very weary of KMart's durability.

    On top of that.....I don't think that Walsh would want to take on his contract and the Nuggets would have on starting quality PF.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  23. #23
    Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: Earl Watson...

    Indeed, i like the fact that you pointed out he is an enforcer type player, thats something we surely need on our team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •