Thread: Brunner/pacers.com: Is Door Open for Artest's Return?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Brunner/pacers.com: Is Door Open for Artest's Return?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Q. Now, Ron Artest is remorseful and would like to return to the Pacers. But, according Jermaine O'Neal the decision is clear, he should not be allowed back. What do you think goes through Donnie Walsh's head right now? What do you think is best for the team right now? Team chemistry (and we are 4-1 without Artest) or getting a very talented but very troubled young player back, who might not be able to co-exist beside team leader O'Neal? To me the decision seems very clear. What is your take on the current situation? (From Jacob in Copenhagen, Denmark)

A. This scenario has taken about as many twists and turns as you might expect, given the central character. I certainly can't read Artest's mind so I can't speak to the level of remorse he truly feels, but I suspect it really doesn't matter because the damage cannot be undone. Had he made the trade request in one exclusive interview, it would be much easier to attempt to back-track, to say he was speaking out of emotion and that he didn't intend to stir up a controversy. The fact he essentially staged a two-day media campaign to state his case for a trade eliminated any doubt about his intentions.

It's interesting that the public display of remorse came on the heels of Walsh's statement that the Pacers would leave Artest on the inactive list all season long if they couldn't find a suitable trade. Perhaps Artest and his agent realized another season off the NBA radar screen would do irreparable damage to his future earning power. Of course, the timing could be coincidental.

Artest may have changed his mind but I've seen no indication of that from the Pacers. Walsh has stated his case quite clearly: he acknowledged Artest's trade request and is working to make the best deal possible. Jermaine O'Neal has made his feelings known, repeatedly saying that he will never again play with Artest. Elder statesman Austin Croshere has essentially supported O'Neal's position. The only player leaving the door open is Stephen Jackson.

The most important statement has been made in the team's performance, winning four of the last five games and generally playing with a high level of cohesion and energy. The Pacers are not only moving on, they're moving forward.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Default Re: Brunner/pacers.com: Is Door Open for Artest's Return?

Jermaine O'Neal has made his feelings known, repeatedly saying that he will never again play with Artest. Elder statesman Austin Croshere has essentially supported O'Neal's position. The only player leaving the door open is Stephen Jackson
    TRUE! boy, how that hits Ron in the arse. Just a few days ago on an interview he was asked if he was going to play another game as a Pacer and he replies, "No. I really hope not..."

Why does Jack always defend Ron? I know that they're on (or were on) the same team, but after a while doesn't he get a message?

Pacesetter

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does Jack always defend Ron? I know that they're on (or were on) the same team, but after a while doesn't he get a message?
    This is my favorite Jackson quote:

Stephen Jackson from the Indystar:

"I almost lost my job for him last year, so that's my friend."

He sounds so innocent! "...that's my friend."

I don't buy the argument that Ron will hurt his earning power three years from now if he sits until February or even all year.

Regardless of what happens this year, if he goes out and has productive years the next couple of seasons and continues to play best-in-the-league defense and causes no problems, he will be rewarded with a large contract by someone. Count on it.

Sports Logo

Would Artest backtracked on his comments if the Pacers were 1-4? I have a strange feeling that he wouldn't. With the Pacers going 4-1 without Artest....I think that Artest is backtracking with the prospect that Walsh could possibly bench him on the IR for the rest of the season simply cuz they aren't doing as bad without him. Oddly enough...on the defensive end without him....we have kept our last 5 opponents to an average of 83.4 points.

Will he lose some earning power? Yes....but just a little. GMs aren't going to forget that he can still shutdown players on the defensive end...and I doubt that he is going to lose a step in the span of a year.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Maybe Ron thought that his complaints would get him some much needed publicity, and that people would be begging him to reconsider and please please come back to the team.

His ego perhaps didn't let him comprehend that the reaction would be "Fine, we don't want you anymore anyway".

Or maybe he's simply a moron and didn't think about anything before he spouted off.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

If I had to guess I think all these things were factors:

Ron was fed up with someone or multiple people and/or situations possibly to the point of anger

Ron didn't like the boos he heard at Conseco

Ron wanted some attention

Ron wanted to flex his muscles a bit and reposition himself in the Pacer pecking order

Overall, Ron was bluffing but if the Pacers did call it, which he doubted, he was sure there would be a bidding war

Ron over-valued himself both to the Pacers and to the rest of the league in general

Add the above mixture and toss in a helping of not fully thinking thru the consequences (such as alienating fans and teammates... removing whatever trust remained... causing his agent to say "WTF!?"... TPTB 'having enough'... giving the other teams one more piece of ammo to think he's 'trouble' waiting to happen, etc) and I think that was all at play.

One collosal misjudgement by a player who has made misjudgements his whole career and never seems to learn. He seems to learn things like "the fire on the stove is hot... " but then move right on to stick his finger in the fire in the fireplace.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Grace says that Jack doesn't want Ron to go, because then he would be Public Enemy #1 on this team. I think she's right.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Grace says that Jack doesn't want Ron to go, because then he would be Public Enemy #1 on this team. I think she's right.
    Plus, he wouldn't have anyone else to ride with.

JO rides

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Plus, he wouldn't have anyone else to ride with.
    I remember Cro was sad when Jalen was traded, cause they carpooled together.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    JO rides
    Nah...on the Artest issue, Jackson rides alone. Much like va.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Nah...on the Artest issue, Jackson rides alone. Much like va.
    Ohh yes on that Steve rides alone

about VA.

I'm glad I have people to ride with!