View Poll Results: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 23.40%
  • No

    36 76.60%
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

  1. #1
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Question Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Is Ron Artest overrated? I know he's a great defender, but other then that, is there really anything he's "special" at? Offensively, he's talented, but nothing earth shaterring. He also seems to be selfish and doesn't get his teammates involved like he should. He's an average rebounder, isn't the greatest passer in the world. And then there's ofcourse the attitude issues.
    I just think ever since "The Brawl" and Ron went from being an NBA fans only favorite to a bit of a household name, he's increasingly become overrated.

    Anyone agree with me?

  2. #2
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Ron is a great player but a failure as a human being. Since this poll is for his talent I had to say no, he isn't overrated.

  3. #3
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Now remember, just because someone's overrated doesn't mean they're not still a great player. There's a lot of overrated players in the NBA in my opinion, and the majority of them are very good players just not as good as they're made out to be. I feel Ron fits in this description. Remember, we took the Pistons to 6 games with Ron. We took the Pistons to 6 games without Ron. I'd love to see us get an Al Harrington type player, because I dont think the falloff will be near as drastic as some probably do. We'd have virtually no offensive slippage, and while our defense will slip a bit, we should also become a better rebounding team. And then ofcourse the biggy - the improved team chemistry.
    God I just want a trade to happen soon. I've spent 80% of my waking hours here the past week.

  4. #4
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    No. Ron's every bit as good of a player as his fans say he is.

    What's significantly underrated - even today - is Ron's ability to destroy his team.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  5. #5
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Ron Artest is a Hall of Famer at the end of his career, if he wasnt such a dumbass. The guy is easily a top 10 player in the NBA but too bad he is a idiot.

  6. #6
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron Artest is a Hall of Famer at the end of his career, if he wasnt such a dumbass. The guy is easily a top 10 player in the NBA but too bad he is a idiot.
    I don't think he's a top-10 talent. He's not good enough anywhere outside of his defense to be considered a top-10 player. I'd go with top-15 maybe, but more like top-20.

  7. #7
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    This is an easy one.
    There is a lot of overrated players in the NBA..

    Artest is simply not one of them . . . . .

    Why Not Us ?


  8. #8
    Member Julius Sour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Age
    33
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    He's not overrated... He's good, no doubt. Maybe his basketbal IQ isn't so high on offence, but he can knock-out like 2 - 3 players on his way to the rim - he's strong like an animal...

    Naptown Seth, what this banner You have as Your signature is about?

    JS
    Wait a minute, whoa! Whoa! You don’t actually believe this crap! Do you? Dummy! Brain washed alien souls? E-meter and thetan levels? Those people out there buy that crap. But I thought you were smart enough to see what’s really going on!
    What's better than telling people a stupid story and having them believe you? Having them pay you for it, stupid!

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Ron Artest overrated? I know he's a great defender, but other then that, is there really anything he's "special" at? Offensively, he's talented, but nothing earth shaterring. He also seems to be selfish and doesn't get his teammates involved like he should. He's an average rebounder, isn't the greatest passer in the world. And then there's ofcourse the attitude issues.
    I just think ever since "The Brawl" and Ron went from being an NBA fans only favorite to a bit of a household name, he's increasingly become overrated.

    Anyone agree with me?

    You see, but are unable to believe.

    If Ron had a "perfect attitude" and no baggage what-so-ever, he'd be in the top 5 as far as trade value goes. Ahead of players such as T-Mac, Pierce, Iverson, Kobe. He'd only be behind KG, TD, Bron, and maybe Wade.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    He's not overrated. The guy only has 2 offensive weaknesses IMO. His shot selection and his passing....

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Dumb question, if you ask me, and you did.

  12. #12
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You see, but are unable to believe.

    If Ron had a "perfect attitude" and no baggage what-so-ever, he'd be in the top 5 as far as trade value goes. Ahead of players such as T-Mac, Pierce, Iverson, Kobe. He'd only be behind KG, TD, Bron, and maybe Wade.
    I agree. Ron could have been a hall-of-famer as Jermaniac pointed out...if he wasn't such a bonehead. It's pretty sad, actually.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Talent-wise, he's underrated. He is a moron, but he's right about one thing: if he was the focal point of some team's offense (and his hands could stay healthy), he would be putting up sick offensive numbers to go with his sick defense. I feel like he's probably going to be a flake the rest of his career, but is he did land with some coach and set of team mates that could keep him relatively under control (alla Rodman with Phil/Jordan), they'd be winning championships for the next decade. I don't think it will happen, mind you, but keep that man out of Cleveland.

  14. #14
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    If anything he is underrated because he is an instable human being. If he could get himself into a mental hospital and fix his problems, then he'd be one of the best players in the NBA lol.

  15. #15
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You see, but are unable to believe.

    If Ron had a "perfect attitude" and no baggage what-so-ever, he'd be in the top 5 as far as trade value goes. Ahead of players such as T-Mac, Pierce, Iverson, Kobe. He'd only be behind KG, TD, Bron, and maybe Wade.
    I disagree with this 100% Ron is a better defender than any of the mentioned players ofcourse, but in every other aspectof the game these players are much better. Better scorers, better rebounders, better passers, better shooters.

    You all are overrating Ron a good deal I.M.O.

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sour
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Naptown Seth, what this banner You have as Your signature is about?

    JS
    It's the Pacers starting lineup and backup unit. When Ron is traded I'll update it

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with this 100% Ron is a better defender than any of the mentioned players ofcourse, but in every other aspectof the game these players are much better. Better scorers, better rebounders, better passers, better shooters.

    You all are overrating Ron a good deal I.M.O.
    We watch games, and the impact players have on them. You seem to memorize box scores, and stats.

    I'm not shocked to hear you say that.

  17. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,644

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We watch games, and the impact players have on them. You seem to memorize box scores, and stats.

    I'm not shocked to hear you say that.

    Amen.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. #18
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,959

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    I think Ron is considered one of the best 15 players in the league. I don't think his skills are overrated at all.

    He is not a spectacular offensive player, but he is arguably one of the top defenders in the league. He is in the top 25 in scoring, even with JO on the team....and even when his average of 19.4ppg seems a little low for him. I would put him in the top 5 in the league defensively and top 25 in scoring. That puts him at least at #15 overall, which is a fair guess.

  19. #19
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,959

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We watch games, and the impact players have on them. You seem to memorize box scores, and stats.

    I'm not shocked to hear you say that.
    Ron does tend to raise the level of his play against the best players and more than often winds up outplaying them. Lebron is a good example. If Artest had a brain, I am not sure there is another SF I would want on my team.

  20. #20
    Naptown Seth
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We watch games, and the impact players have on them. You seem to memorize box scores, and stats.

    I'm not shocked to hear you say that.
    Actually no, monkey boy. I probably watch more games than you.

    I've watched nearly every game of Artest's Pacer career, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that.....

    Artest is a great defender.
    Artest is a very good scorer.
    Artest is an average shooter.
    Artest is an average rebounder.
    Artest is an average passer.
    Artest is an average ball handler.
    The bigger the game becomes, the smaller Artest's game becomes. (See 2004 Eastern Conference Finals, if Artest plays his normal game Pacers sweep the Pistons)
    Artest is very selfish offensively and puts his individual shot attempts before the team offese.

    Add it up folks....Artest is a great player...but these top-5 claims are only made by idiot Pacer homers who think the NBA begins and ends in Indiana and just help further the fact that Artest is overrated.

    As one of the biggest Artest fans here, and also as the most open-minded person here, I can honestly tell you Ron Artest is not better than the following players:
    Paul Pierce, LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, Elton Brand, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Waade, Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, or Tim Duncan.

    Those are the top-14 players in the NBA, and that's undebatable.

    The final spot in the top-15 comes down to the following 8 players:
    Ron Artest, Carmelo Anthony, Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, Chris Bosh, Andrei Kirilenko, Gilbert Arenas


    And at this point in time, I'm leaning towards Gilbert Arenas, who's become as good a scorer as anybody in the league.


    BTW....the team's played .800 ball since Ron "God" Artest has been out. How well did the Rockets do when T-Mac was out? What about the Heat without Shaq? The Jazz without Kirilenko?


    Your honor, I rest my case.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    40
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    I wouldn't say he's overrated.... I do think he and others have a slightly inflated perception of his skills.

    On defense he's definately lock down...no question.

    On offense.... he's not a good passer....has nearly zero team basketball I.Q.... subpar rebounder....and can be a turnover machine if you include bad shots as turnovers.

    often these things are overlooked because of what he brings on the defensive end.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    I'm sorry Seth ... I'm sorry we're not all as intelligent as you. I'm sorry we're not as "open minded" as you. I'm sorry we're all idiot homers, because of your undeniable fact that Artest is overrated and how we just can't comprehend it .....

    Do us all a favor, get over yourself.

    Got to be kidding me.

  23. #23
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    What's a monkey boy?

  24. #24
    Member larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    i used 2 cringe when he put up 3s. and he was the worst passer. still kobe/ron would be alot like mike/pippen. artest doesnt need 2 couldnt carry a team. l.a. would be rons best fit. odom is a downgrade 4 us tho. ginoblia is top 15 & a few pistons 2. i voted OVERrated.

  25. #25
    SjA3837
    Guest

    Default Re: Is Ron Artest Overrated?

    Every Pacer is overrated by Pacer fans, every Heat player if overrated by Heat fans. There are exceptions though... I don't think any of us overrate Eddie Gill.


    Most people will show some homerism, even if it's just a little.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •