Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artest distastefully responds to Magic Johnson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Artest distastefully responds to Magic Johnson

You're right and yet wrong.

Magic is the face of the LA Lakers. You insult him, you insult the franchise, as well as their fan base.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron's right? Well Magic was referrin to his antics and Ron should've have known to stop causin so much BS. Magic was critical and besides Magic said if Ron messes up one more time after he gets traded then he doesn't get another contract. Actually Ron has had tons of chances and Magic saying that isn't even a surprise. Seriously Artest is an idiot how can he be right? He should stop trying to be a philospher and just act right if he doesn't want anybody criticizing him. He's just totally disrespectful and an absolute IDIOT to even bring up Magic's wife. Magic is a paid analyst now, he just gave his opinion. Ron on the other hand is just an attention whore looking for an open mic and an audience.
    Hey listen, if you've been here for any length of time, you know that I'm not one to defend Ron. That said, I stand by what I said: Those in glass houses... Who is Magic to indict anyone because of their destructive behavior? If you really want to get into the dark side of the NBA and sports in general, you have only to examine Magic's behavior while he was an NBA player.

Um, guys is my memory that bad???

I, for some reason, remember that Magic got Married to Cookie after he announced he had H.I.V. or am I totally off base with that?

Also let's not get into cheating spouses with Ron, because he has no rights to throw stones either.

So, IMO, that makes him a two time loser in this debate.

Not only did he F up in his job, but Ron has had a little extra on the side as well.

As far as I know Magic was never ever ever close to being booted from the NBA let alone the Lakers.

BTW, does anybody really believe that Magic was any worse than any other baller back in the day with the women?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

I, for some reason, remember that Magic got Married to Cookie after he announced he had H.I.V. or am I totally off base with that?
    No, he was married, and she was pregnant. He said the worst part was waiting for the results on the child.

BTW, does anybody really believe that Magic was any worse than any other baller back in the day with the women?
    Well, there was A.C. Green.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Harmonica

Also let's not get into cheating spouses with Ron, because he has no rights to throw stones either.

So, IMO, that makes him a two time loser in this debate.

Not only did he F up in his job, but Ron has had a little extra on the side as well.

As far as I know Magic was never ever ever close to being booted from the NBA let alone the Lakers.

You know for certain that Ron has cheated on his wife? And all ballers were unfaithful to their partners "back in the day?" Quite some generalizations there, Peck.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    That comment that Ron made is true and funny. What Ron did is nothing compared to one repeatedly cheating on your wife.
    As Peck said, Ron certainly shouldn't be criticizing how one treats the women in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    You know for certain that Ron has cheated on his wife? And all ballers were unfaithful to their partners "back in the day?" Quite some generalizations there, Peck.
    To answer your first question. Yes.

To respond to your second statement, no you are correct I don't know about all of the ballers.

I should have said "some of the ballers" not all.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Peck,
    I know they were together when he announced his HIV issue but I don't know if they were yet married. I'm trying to find the info just to confirm it one way or the other.

Meanwhile... I did find this (which seems somehow relative to the thread):

Johnson and the Lakers rebounded in 1981-82, winning their division and defeating the 76ers in another six-game NBA Finals in which Johnson repeated as MVP. The season also had its share of ugliness. Early on, Westhead wanted to restructure the offense in a way that Johnson believed would have reduced his role. In a widely reported incident, Johnson exploded in the lockerroom after a game in Utah. "I can't play here anymore. I want to leave. I want to be traded," he was quoted as saying. Reporters waited for the signal that Johnson was joking. It didn't come.

Westhead was fired the next day and replaced with assistant coach Pat Riley. At Riley's first home game, fans at the Forum booed Johnson during introductions. In Seattle he was jeered whenever he touched the ball. He paid the price in the All-Star balloting and was not selected as a starter for the only time in his career other than his injury season. It took Johnson's stellar playoff performance to silence the hecklers.
    http://www.nba.com/history/players/johnsonm_bio.html
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    No, he was married, and she was pregnant. He said the worst part was waiting for the results on the child.

Well, there was A.C. Green.

Yes, you are correct about the pregnancy.

But I guess I was just under the impression that they either weren't married that long or something.

I'm just remembering this stuff off of the top of my head so I could be totally wrong here.

I'm not saying Magic was a saint, but to compare one to the other is just beyond my ability to comprehend.

Johnson was so successful that he became really famous. He played on the Los Angeles Lakers and everywhere they went there were fans waiting for his autograph. Women found Johnson attractive and he was never at a loss for a female companion. In 1991, Johnson married his longtime girlfriend, Cookie. Only weeks later he found out he was HIV positive. So Johnson did one of the hardest things he says he has ever done—he told Cookie. He then decided that he wanted to tell the world. “There was never any question that I would go public,” he said. “I’ve always lived straight up and faced up to whatever happens.” That year Johnson told the world and retired from basketball. He started to speak out about HIV/AIDS and educate youth about the disease. He created the Magic Johnson Foundation so he could raise money to fund AIDS research, care and education. Johnson’s popularity resulted in his being voted as a starter in the 1992 All-Star Game and, later, chosen for the 1992 U.S. Olympic Basketball Team.

http://www.livepositive.ca/positive-heroes-magic.asp
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm not saying Magic was a saint, but to compare one to the other is just beyond my ability to comprehend.
    Oh, I'm most definitely with you there. And I think you're right, that they'd been together for a while, but had not been married long.

Here's an article: http://www.aegis.com/news/lt/2001/LT011102.html

The former Earleatha Kelly, Cookie had been with Johnson since college. She had endured the Showtime years, when the line of women willing to have sex with Johnson rivaled the line of autograph seekers. When Johnson told her, he said he would understand if she left him.

He says she slapped him for making that suggestion. "We just cried and held each other. The greatest thing that ever happened to me was that she stayed. I think that's why I'm alive today."

Harmonica

Yes, you are correct about the pregnancy.

But I guess I was just under the impression that they either weren't married that long or something.

I'm just remembering this stuff off of the top of my head so I could be totally wrong here.

So you place Magic over Ron because the NBA has annointed him? Get outta here. Magic is the very personification of the debauchery that goes on in the NBA. From his own admission, the guy would send his posse out to fetch him "the rainbow" (a white woman, a black woman and an Asian woman). I'm sorry, but the guy should just keep his mouth shut when it comes to judging others. Ron's actions are contemptable, no doubt, but Magic certainly didn't take his wife's or his baby's health into consideration when he was "lining them up."

Wow Ron needs to turn off the tv...
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

I'm still not sure where Magic is judging Ron Artest. He just said that he wouldn't take Ron and that he is close to ending his NBA career. Neither statements are that shocking or mean spirited.

But since I have never cheated on anyone is my opinion more informed when I say I wouldn't take Ron on my team?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

So you place Magic over Ron because the NBA has annointed him?
    Magic was never charged with making threats to the mother of his child.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Magic was never charged with making threats to the mother of his child.
    I guess if you don't consider passing HIV onto your partner and unborn child a threat, okay.

cracktower

"Well, there was A.C. Green. "

A.C Green the real 40 year old virgin.

The dude said "he was saving it till he got married"

We should all learn from him.

A.C you are the man

Mood

Hey listen, if you've been here for any length of time, you know that I'm not one to defend Ron. That said, I stand by what I said: Those in glass houses... Who is Magic to indict anyone because of their destructive behavior? If you really want to get into the dark side of the NBA and sports in general, you have only to examine Magic's behavior while he was an NBA player.

nah dude you listen. Ron's cooments were out of line while Magic's was relevant to the subject at hand. Ron got criticized because of his actions that have been currently the talk of basketball country and Magic is a paid analyst and what was wrong with what he said? he said that one more incident from Ron after he gets traded then he doesn't get another contract. SERIOUSLY Ron is lucky to be still in the league after all the BS he's done. had he not had his talent trust me he'd be playing in a third world country now. and whatever grudge or history or whatever snot you have on Magic does not interest me. Ron was wrong so for you to say he's right makes me think you're a knucklehead yourself

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron's an idiot. As for Magic, his behavior did hurt his team because he probably would have played 2 to 3 more years had he not had to bow out because of the AIDS scare.

So you place Magic over Ron because the NBA has annointed him? Get outta here. Magic is the very personification of the debauchery that goes on in the NBA. From his own admission, the guy would send his posse out to fetch him "the rainbow" (a white woman, a black woman and an Asian woman). I'm sorry, but the guy should just keep his mouth shut when it comes to judging others. Ron's actions are contemptable, no doubt, but Magic certainly didn't take his wife's or his baby's health into consideration when he was "lining them up."

I have no idea why we are even debating this.

What does Ron's actions in basketball world have anything to do with Magic Johnsons actions in the real world.

If you don't lke that Magic works at TNT ok, but I just can't even see why we are comparing the two.

If Magic would have complained about Ron's mental stability & not taking his meds. then ok, but Ervin was talking about Ron's job. Which is what he is being paid to do.

Do you have a problem with what Barkley saying anything about Ron? If not, why not? Chuck has had his fair share of off court problems.

Again, I'm not sure why we are even talking about this.

Here let's change the subject matter to something we both can actaully understand.

I hear that the Pacers want to send Ron to Sactown for Brad.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that most of you guys are totally missing the point. Everyone seems to think that in one instance we are talking about a man's career and in the other instance, we are talking about a man's personal life.

Bull*****!!!

If you tell me that you will not take a chance on me, you aren't saying a word about my career.

You are talking about my character, clear and simple.

Magic Johnson makes a statement about a man's character, the back, the man (Artest) responds back, and you somehow think the two are not the same? I suppose the only thing Artest would be guilty of is not putting himself above it all and simply "turning the other cheek".

Now I don't know about you guys, but the most important things to me are the health/safety of my family and our reputations.

In the workplace, the only thing of importance that I take to work and come home with every day is my reputation. If you attack that, then it forces me to defend it.

In Ron's case, the mistake he made really couldn't be defended. And he said as much in his interview. So, human nature being what it is, he did what he thought was the next best thing. He reduced the power of the attack on his character by pointing out the hypocrisy of the one who made the statement.

Bottom line is that when you attack the character of someone else, then by default your own character becomes fair game to the one you attacked.

In this regard, I don't think Artest is any different than any of us.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I think that most of you guys are totally missing the point. Everyone seems to think that in one instance we are talking about a man's career and in the other instance, we are talking about a man's personal life.

Bull*****!!!

If you tell me that you will not take a chance on me, you aren't saying a word about my career.

You are talking about my character, clear and simple.

Magic Johnson makes a statement about a man's character, the back, the man (Artest) responds back, and you somehow think the two are not the same? I suppose the only thing Artest would be guilty of is not putting himself above it all and simply "turning the other cheek".

Now I don't know about you guys, but the most important things to me are the health/safety of my family and our reputations.

In the workplace, the only thing of importance that I take to work and come home with every day is my reputation. If you attack that, then it forces me to defend it.

In Ron's case, the mistake he made really couldn't be defended. And he said as much in his interview. So, human nature being what it is, he did what he thought was the next best thing. He reduced the power of the attack on his character by pointing out the hypocrisy of the one who made the statement.

Bottom line is that when you attack the character of someone else, then by default your own character becomes fair game to the one you attacked.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    In this regard, I don't think Artest is any different than any of us.
    Except for this.

So if your boss ever fires you then a perfectly valid reply would be to say that his wife should divorce him because he's cheated on her? After all, your boss has just said that you are unfit to work for him, and you have to defend your reputation.

Maybe Ron should challenge MJ to a duel, you know to protect his honor.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    So if your boss ever fires you then a perfectly valid reply would be to say that his wife should divorce him because he's cheated on her? After all, your boss has just said that you are unfit to work for him, and you have to defend your reputation.
    Magic is Ron's boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Maybe Ron should challenge MJ to a duel, you know to protect his honor.

It would probably look something like this.