Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artest distastefully responds to Magic Johnson

Default Artest distastefully responds to Magic Johnson

Mods, please delete this if it's been posted already.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports...21/detail.html

Artest Goes To Radio To Explain Himself, Slams Magic Johnson

POSTED: 3:55 pm EST December 16, 2005
    UPDATED: 6:10 pm EST December 16, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest took to the radio airwaves in an effort to defend his reasons for wanting to leave the team.
    Speaking to WIBC radio Friday, Artest expressed hints of regret about how the trade talk started.
    Artest spoke with WIBC's Vince Welch and admitted he might have handled the situation poorly, RTV6's Wil Hampton reported.

Previous Images: Pacers React To Artest's Trade Demand

"I kind of messed up. I kind of did it the wrong way," Artest said
    Artest told the radio audience that he should have talked with coach Rick Carlisle before going public.
    "I should have done that. It's important to have a relationship with the coach. Ever since coach got here, I never had a close relationship with him," Artest said.
    Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh has tired of Artest's antics.
    "I haven't heard any of the interviews, so I don't know what was said," Walsh said. "When I spoke with Ronnie, I said, 'Look, you've asked for a trade. I'm going to go forward with that.' It'd be in our interest if we both didn't say a whole lot about this."
    Artest doubted there is any chance he could ever get back in good graces with the Pacers.
    "I think I've dug myself in a hole and there's no grip. I can't get back up," Artest said.
    Artest said some of the criticism he has received has been unfair. Former NBA great Magic Johnson said Artest doesn't deserve a second chance in the NBA.
    "It's like saying, 'Magic, should your wife give you another chance?'" Artest said "He's saying Ron Artest should have no more second chances. What's worse -- me saying I want to be traded or you cheating on your wife?"

Mood

Default Re: Artest distastefully responds to Magic Johnson

Naptown Seth

Yes! Now that is awesome. Funny, I was thinking that before I clicked this thread. So many people questioning Ron's character, yet how many skeletons do these people have in their closet? Magic Johnson sits on plump booty with a big goofy smile on his face, puts on such a good guy image, yet this is a guy who admitted to cheating on his wife. And it wasn't just once, it was many, many times.
    What's worse - stupidly coming out and asking for a trade, or cheating on your supposed life partner?

As the saying goes - let he who is without extramarital-induced HIV cast the first stone

Harmonica

Yow. It just keeps getting uglier. Ron is right though. Those in glass houses...but still...

"It's like saying, 'Magic, should your wife give you another chance?'" Artest said "He's saying Ron Artest should have no more second chances. What's worse -- me saying I want to be traded or you cheating on your wife?"
    That's a pretty nice quip from Ron - I'm impressed!
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Wow. I didn't take the trade demand personally, but I take that personally. You don't knock a man's marriage. I hope we do trade him to LA, so Magic can kick his ***.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Ron is right as far as Magic is concerned. Who is he to say someone doesn't deserve a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron is right as far as Magic is concerned. Who is he to say someone doesn't deserve a second chance.
    Do you really think this is only Ron's second chance? I haven't read through Jay's list recently, but I think it's more like his 158th.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Do you really think this is only Ron's second chance? I haven't read through Jay's list recently, but I think it's more like his 158th.
    Whatever "chance" you want to make this, the point remains the same. Who is Magic Johnson to determine that Ron should be out of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Magic Johnson = proven NBA legend who is well respected.

Cant say the same for Artest

Oh, and Magic gets paid to offer his opinion. He never brought Ron's family into it. BUt Ron just felt the need to attack the mans family....
    While I don't contend that the remark was warranted, Magic does open himself up to critical comments by the very fact that he gets paid to offer his opinion on others. If Artest would have limited his response to Magic's HIV and its effect on his team/play I think he wouldn't be out of place (though I'm not all that firm on this conclusion).

Ron clearly got personal which wasn't called for.

What was Magic's exact quote. I heard him say that Ron can't mess up again or he will be out of the NBA. But I didn't hear him sat he doesn't deserve a second chance.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

He is telling the truth

sweabs

Classy.

Not that I would have expected Ron to be the bigger man.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    What was Magic's exact quote. I heard him say that Ron can't mess up again or he will be out of the NBA. But I didn't hear him sat he doesn't deserve a second chance.
    Is it this?

--
    Magic on Ron Artest’s request to be traded from Indiana: “This is the last incident that (Ron Artest) can have, and I want him to understand that. Anything follows this and he won’t get a contract in the NBA. He cannot do anything after this if he gets his trade. T hat’s it, because anything after this two-year contract is up, trust me, he won’t be in the NBA.”

Barkley on whether or not trading for Ron Artest is worth taking the risk: “You can’t put (Ron Artest) on a young team because he’s going to corrupt your young guys…(Teams should only trade for him) if there’s a slight chance that he can put you over the hump, so there’s about five teams that should be trying to get him.”

Smith: “You can’t depend on him to build your team around, so (teams that need a lot of help) don’t have an opportunity. It’s got to be a team who says we’re trying to win (a championship), and we’re trying to win it now. We need Ron.”

Barkley: “I’d send him to Vancouver if I was the GM.”
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. Artest speaks of digging a hole with the Pacers, now he's working on the NBA as a whole. Magic, regardless of his issues, is a well respected guy in the league, not to mention a legend on the court. I don't have a problem with using basketball topics in wars-of-words, but, that, IMO, is uncalled for. It may be true, but it does not belong in a basketball conversation.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Yeeahhh..... bye Ron. That's just stupid.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three
    Who is Magic Johnson to determine that Ron should be out of the NBA.
    Only a vice-president and co-owner of one of the most respected teams in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Is it this?

--
    Magic on Ron Artest’s request to be traded from Indiana: “This is the last incident that (Ron Artest) can have, and I want him to understand that. Anything follows this and he won’t get a contract in the NBA. He cannot do anything after this if he gets his trade. T hat’s it, because anything after this two-year contract is up, trust me, he won’t be in the NBA.”
    That is what I heard Magic say. If this is what Ron is responding to Ron is in the wrong.

Also it is nice to see Ron raise his trade value by going after a co-owner of a team interested in him.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Tim

He brought someone's personal life into his professional screw up. At this point expiring contracts are starting to look good.

One talks away his career, the other screwed away his career.
    If you have egg on your face you should stay out of the sun.

I care neither way.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

In his interview, Magic went a little further than what is paraphrased above. He also stated that if he were a GM, he wouldn't gamble on Artest. I think that statement is just another way of saying that "I wouldn't give him another chance" but probably doesn't go as far as saying that he "doesn't deserve another chance."

But if the statements above are the sum total of what Artest said in the interview, then I don't see anything wrong at all with what he said. And, I can imagine that the interviewer paraphrased what Magic said and asked Artest is if he had anything to say about it.

But come on, let's fess up. Artest is a man playing a game for a living, and made a very serious mistake in the manner in which he went about seeking a trade. Had he gone about it in an appropriate manner, the end result would have been the same... he still would have been traded.

And, with all of the attention drawn to the fact that he is up for sale, it may even have enabled the process to go a little quicker than normal. The only consequence is that the Pacers may not get quite as much for him.

But, at the end of the day Artest's "crime" was that he shot off his mouth and in so doing, hurt a lot of people's feelings.

Magic, on the other hand, calls out Ron for what he did, stating that he personally would not give Ron another chance.

In my opiniion, Magic is not only a cheater, he's a hypocrite. What the hell? What's fair for him is not fair for Artest?

I've been an Artest fan since the was first acquired from the Bulls. But no more. I'm done with him. But Magic? After his recent words, even though his charming personality makes him difficult to dislike, well... he just makes my blood boil.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Yow. It just keeps getting uglier. Ron is right though. Those in glass houses...but still...

Ron's right? Well Magic was referrin to his antics and Ron should've have known to stop causin so much BS. Magic was critical and besides Magic said if Ron messes up one more time after he gets traded then he doesn't get another contract. Actually Ron has had tons of chances and Magic saying that isn't even a surprise. Seriously Artest is an idiot how can he be right? He should stop trying to be a philospher and just act right if he doesn't want anybody criticizing him. He's just totally disrespectful and an absolute IDIOT to even bring up Magic's wife. Magic is a paid analyst now, he just gave his opinion. Ron on the other hand is just an attention whore looking for an open mic and an audience.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, any and all chances of Ron going to LA just died a horrible death....

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Work issues ... personal issues.

Magic ended up out of the league because of the HIV, so no one can say he didn't pay for what happened to his career based on his personal life.

Ron didn't attack that, he attacked only the personal life. Kind of the equivalent of someone saying Ron doesn't deserve to be in the NBA because he got involved in domestic violence situation.

WTF does that have to do with the basketball court?

Someone criticizes you for your work behavior, don't go after his personal life.

No class at all.

I'm beginning to feel used for defending this guy for so long.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Well, any and all chances of Ron going to LA just died a horrible death....

I think Magic is more of a figurehead part owner (2% or whatever) with the Lakers. I don't think he has that much clout to veto any deal for Artest to the Lakers. I could be wrong, I am just surmising.

That comment that Ron made is true and funny. What Ron did is nothing compared to one repeatedly cheating on your wife.