Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Journal News } Vince Carter may be on the block for "an impact defensive player"

Default Journal News } Vince Carter may be on the block for "an impact defensive player"

Powered by Topix.net

(Original publication: December 15, 2005)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.

The Nets have been beaten in back-to-back games in embarrassing fashion over the last nights.

So today, they're left to wonder if their next loss will be a player.

The Nets' 91-83 defeat to the lowly Charlotte Bobcats before 13,363 angry fans last night came on the eve of when all NBA players who signed new contracts over the summer are eligible to be traded.

And the underachieving Nets are definitely shopping, according to several league sources. Rightfully so.

While the Bobcats saw the end of their eight-game losing streak, the Nets dropped their third in a row and fell to 9-12.

The Nets were slightly better than their ugly 94-74 loss to the Washington Wizards on Tuesday night.

But chemistry remains an issue as center Marc Jackson took a DNP and angrily declared he would welcome a trade. The remaining Nets are left to answer what the Nets are missing the most.

"Our willingness to win," Vince Carter said.

Brevin Knight led Charlotte with 25 points and, once again, the Nets' Big 3 of Richard Jefferson (25 points), Carter (22 points) and Jason Kidd (eight points, 10 assists, eight rebounds) were not enough.

And while the job security of Nets coach Lawrence Frank was not believed to be in immediate jeopardy, Nets president Rod Thorn was meeting with the third-year coach in his office nearly two hours after the game.

The Nets led by 11 in the first quarter, but fired 14 for 44 in the second half.

A Melvin Ely 3-point play and Emeka Okafor free throw with 3:22 left gave Charlotte a 76-66 lead and that was all she wrote.

Jackson, Jeff McInnis, Lamond Murray and Scott Padgett — all signed during the summer — are now trade-eligible.

The Nets are also believed to be dangling guard Zoran Planinic and their two first-round draft picks in order to procure a big body. Planinic was put on the inactive list and did not play, while Jackson and McInnis, the Nets' two main free-agent signings in the offseason, did not play.

Frank said he was searching. Jackson was steamed, nonetheless.

"If (Frank) don't think I can help the team, then maybe get rid of me for somebody you think can help the team," Jackson said. "That DNP is real crazy, man. That DNP, only happens since I've been here."

Players that would become available today who the Nets would have an interest in include Ely, Milwaukee's Dan Gadzuric and the Clippers' Chris Wilcox. Even Houston's Stromile Swift, who the Nets coveted in the off-season, would become available

But whether the Nets are willing to make a bigger deal depends on their patience level. There is a growing sentiment in the organization that Carter could be expendable if it can return an impact defensive player.

"We definitely can turn this thing around and all of the sudden, everybody will be like, 'Wow, this is a great team,' " Carter said.

The Nets haven't had that defensive enforcer since Kenyon Martin was traded to Denver two summers ago. Ironically, the Nuggets are said to be shopping Martin - who comes to the Meadowlands tomorrow night.

Collins update: Nets forward Jason Collins will undergo more tests today to gauge the inflamed peroenal nerve in his right leg. Collins has played the last two games, but continues to feel discomfort. If it continues, surgery may be an alternative.
    Hmm too bad there is no impact defensive player to trade for Carter

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...512150344/1108

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Journal News } Vince Carter may be on the block for "an impact defensive player"

.....and we all saw how Vince just LOOOOOVES playing in structured halfcourt offense......

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Journal News } Vince Carter may be on the block for "an impact defensive player"

Vince?

If he plays hard for us stays healthy and doesnt choke come playoff time...... hell yes.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vince?

If he plays hard for us stays healthy and doesnt choke come playoff time...... hell yes.
    In other words....

hell no?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Never been a VC fan, but in his defense he's always been forced to be "the man" when I don't think he wants to be. He might be at his best being the 2nd option to JO.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

hmm Vince Carter .. Devean George
    VC or... MO Pete
    VC or... peja
    VC or ...hmm I can see the dilemma

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Man, Ron and Kidd together can be scary if they are allowed to run........
    Perhaps .. but what do you think about Vince..

Now I will admit I am not the biggest Vinsanity fan.. but what better offer is there?? I will take it ... I know I know structured offense.. Carlisle... .
    Hey....just like in the movie "Risky Business": sometimes ..you just have to say what the F***....

Why Not Us ?

Yeah it's kinda scary how well Ron would fit on that team. I like the idea of Vince. He'd be a more reliable 2nd option scorer than Jackson. I think his ability would actually be a big help for our offense and actually help make things flow a bit. Not to mention it would sell tickets. Makes sense for both teams imo. I give it a thumbs up. We really can't do much better.

So Carter would start at SG and Jax shift over to SF...or start DG at SF? That would be a fortunate turn of events, but what does VC make...like 15 mill/yr?

sweabs

Oh God NOOOOOOOO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That is one of the last people I want on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    So Carter would start at SG and Jax shift over to SF...or start DG at SF? That would be a fortunate turn of events, but what does VC make...like 15 mill/yr?

Vince is $13,843,157.

Artest and Croshere work, or Jax, Foster.. although we do have the TE to use for a portion

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Vince is not afraid (unless my concept of his game is totally wrong since I don't really watch the Nets very often) to take the ball to the hoop. That is really something this offense needs. We've got plenty of guys willing to stand around, go one-on-one and shoot 3's. Not all of them are good at it either. VC would be a very nice addition to our team, IMO. Not to mention, it would create some excitement among the fanbase because Vinsanity is an exciting player.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good point about driving to the hoop.

And just think of the dunk competitions we'd have in pre-game warm-ups between Vince and Fred. Hell that might be worth the price of a upper level tix right there.

But no....I wanna rebounder.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I could live with this deal.

VC in indianna

Vince Has Changed Back to the way he played earlier in his career. I would love to trade for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    Never been a VC fan, but in his defense he's always been forced to be "the man" when I don't think he wants to be. He might be at his best being the 2nd option to JO.
    I think that this is the most significant point of the thread, and why Vince could succeed here. Has he ever played with a significant big man? I'm not sure that Bosh counts as Vince didn't really have his heart in it the last year in Toronto (which certainly is a knock against him, to be sure).

He seems like he would be a good fit with JO, though.

Somehow couldn't you see Freddie being included in this trade and just high-flying all over the place in NJ? Someone said in the last day or two how much happier (and a better player) Fred would be in a run-n-gun system. I definitely agree.

cracktower

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Oh God NOOOOOOOO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

That is one of the last people I want on this team.
    Too much Raptor memories

Diesel_81

I also could live with this deal. Your not going to find a better second option than Carter. He's one of those few guys that I put into the catagory of being unguardable.The problem with him is he makes alot of money but if he plays to his potential then he's worth every cent and a even bigger problem is he tends to coast at times. We saw it last year in Toronto then he went to New Jersey and really was on his game. This year he seems he's holding back and not being aggressive. Carter is not a perfect player but we all know we aren't going to get a perfect player back for Ron.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Random Mr. T "Fact of the Day":

Quote:
    Mr.T once punched Chuck Norris at the exact moment he roundhouse kicked Mr.T in the chest. the result was the 80's.
    Probably the funniest one I've seen.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

OK, so, just for kicks and giggles, I went to RealGM to check this out. Artest+Pollard works for Carter. In a freaking heartbeat guys. The blink of an eye.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    OK, so, just for kicks and giggles, I went to RealGM to check this out. Artest+Pollard works for Carter. In a freaking heartbeat guys. The blink of an eye.
    I did the same thing, I also tried to throw Aj in along with those two and it still works

Mood

OK, I need to keep reminding myself "think small" in terms of what we'll get for Ron, but damn this idea has me excited. I can't let myself believe it's what's on deck, but it's hard for some reason. Just imagining him stepping in with JO is very exciting to me. No way does this happen... right?

I doubt that it'll happen, but 15 for 15 makes near perfect sense for both teams.