Thread: Sports Guy: P's should trade for Bucks' Bobby Simmons -- "Artest Lite"

Default Sports Guy: P's should trade for Bucks' Bobby Simmons -- "Artest Lite"

From today's mailbag:

Q: Can you please break down some Artest trade scenarios. It's been days since the trade demand went down and I'm tired of seeing Peja for Artest talk. I need something fresh; Odom, Maggette, Igoudala. You can play the GM game with real salary cap dollars.
    --Zach D., Fort Collins, CO

SG: I'm glad someone asked me this. I keep reading these Artest trade scenarios that make no sense -- really, is he more crazy than some of the other lunatics in the league? For instance, I still maintain that Stephen Jackson was the craziest guy on the court that night -- he challenged the entire Pistons team to a fight, charged into the stands throwing haymakers like he was fighting the Baseball Furies in "The Warriors," then left the stadium shirtless and waiving fans to dump beer on him. That was less crazy than anything Artest did? Throw in how he's only 25 years old, as well as one of the top-25 players in the league, and I can't imagine why Indiana would give him away.

So where could he go? Remember, they have a genuine chance to win the championship -- they need to get someone back who can score from the swingman position. They're not getting Jefferson, Igoudala, Lewis, Maggette or Deng for him, and they would never take on those Antwan Jamison/Wally Szezcerbiak-type contracts. The Kings don't work because Peja is a free agent this summer (too big of a risk). The Rockets and Suns don't match up. Cleveland would never risk inadvertently sabotaging the LeBron Era when he could bolt in 2-3 years. The Knicks would only work if they included Channing Frye -- even Isiah isn't dumb enough to do that. Lamar Odom is too much for Artest; Ricky Davis, Josh Howard or Shane Battier isn't enough. Any non-playoff team knows that Artest would flip out in a losing situation.

Anyway, here's the team that makes sense: Milwaukee. They have Bobby Simmons, who could be best described as Ron Artest Lite -- good teammate, good defender, reliable shooter, plays 3 positions, and he's decidedly un-crazy. They also have two big men (Dan Gadzuric and Jamaal Magliore) who could be intriguing for the Pacers -- possible upgrades over Scot Pollard and Jeff Foster. Just feels like something could work here. Plus, the city of Milwaukee has already survived Jeffrey Dahmer -- Artest would be a breeze by comparison. I think that's where he ends up. And if that gives him a chance to hang out on Latrell Sprewell's yacht during the summers, all the better.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/051216

Default Re: Sports Guy: P's should trade for Bucks' Bobby Simmons -- "Artest Lite"

Yea, no. Replace Simmons with Artest on that team and all of a sudden you create another legit contender in our division.

Naptown Seth

Default Re: Sports Guy: P's should trade for Bucks' Bobby Simmons -- "Artest Lite"

Simmons production is down across the board. He's still a very solid player, but I wouldn't be surprised if his last year in L.A. ends up being the best season of his career.

Sports Logo

The only way I can figure this out is a Simmons + Joe Smith for Artest+Pollard.

But I doubt that Walsh send Artest to a Central division team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Simmons + Magliore

for

Artest -Pollard- AJ

works after 12/26 (Magliore was traded 3 months before then)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Naptown Seth

That Magloire trade is actually reasonable. I doubt Donnie would do it because....
    ( A ) Artest makes the Bucks a lot better than Simmons and Magloire do
    ( B ) Simmons is overpaid, Magloire's about to become overpaid
    ( C ) Magloire has been on a downward spiral ever since his All-Star appearance

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Folks keep throwing AJ in as filler.

You DON'T trade Saras or AJ without a PG coming back in return. If you do, we're at risk because Tinsley misses a ton of games during the course of a season and/or playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simmons production is down across the board.
    Bill, or Bobby?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    Folks keep throwing AJ in as filler.

You DON'T trade Saras or AJ without a PG coming back in return. If you do, we're at risk because Tinsley misses a ton of games during the course of a season and/or playoffs.

You can always substitute Fred Jones, if you want to give away more talent.

I'd rather give away crap, and AJ=crap, and play Fred as 3rd string PG.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Bill, or Bobby?
    Bill's -- although he claims its because of his book tour.

I met him when he came to Denver several weeks ago. Really nice guy and I like the book so far and am by no means a Red Sox fan... for any Simmons fan I say it is a "must-read."

At any rate, I always enjoy reading him because its frequently our teams that are matched up with one another -- Pats/Colts, Celts/Pacers -- and I think he does a good job of an "enemy scouting report." So anyway, I told him this and he said that the thought that the Colts would beat the Pats. I asked him if that could be his signature for my book...

He wrote,

"Brian, I will NOT write down what I am thinking about the Colts/Pats this year. Best, Bill."

you can all keep Maggy in this trade, I'd take Gadza any minute, young, inexpensive, promising rebounding big C though it will never happen, I would love to see him on the P's
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Gadzuric isn't that inexpensive, but I agree he does have promise. Great rebounder, who isn't afraid to bang with the bigger guys.

Trading Ron to the Bucks tho...unless your counting on Ron being destructive with them aswell then its pretty risky.

Quote Originally Posted by flakcatcher
    From today's mailbag:

Q: Can you please break down some Artest trade scenarios. It's been days since the trade demand went down and I'm tired of seeing Peja for Artest talk. I need something fresh; Odom, Maggette, Igoudala. You can play the GM game with real salary cap dollars.
    --Zach D., Fort Collins, CO

SG: I'm glad someone asked me this.

The Knicks would only work if they included Channing Frye -- even Isiah isn't dumb enough to do that. Lamar Odom is too much for Artest; Ricky Davis, Josh Howard or Shane Battier isn't enough. Any non-playoff team knows that Artest would flip out in a losing situation.

Disagree there!

Ricky Davis - excellent!
    Josh Howard - welcome!
    Shane Battier - in a heartbeat!

Maybe they're all rated under Ron talent-wise, but at least they're not crazy, and they ARE very good players.