Thread: LA Daily news: Lakers and Knicks in hunt.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default LA Daily news: Lakers and Knicks in hunt.

Good quote about IT not wanting to part with young players and other tid-bits.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3309731

Lakers interested in Artest
    Jackson thinks highly of Artest
    By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

The Lakers have interest in Pacers forward Ron Artest, who has alienated many in Indiana by his request to be traded. (Getty Images)

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Lakers - and coach Phil Jackson, in particular - have strong interest in acquiring troubled Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest, a source close to the team said Wednesday.
    But the Lakers are not willing to part with forward Lamar Odom in a trade package and are uncertain whether they even will be among the league's leading contenders to land Artest, who demanded a trade over the weekend.

The Lakers have come together recently - winning five of six games on a long road trip that ended with a 94-79 victory at Memphis Wednesday - but Jackson is said to believe the team could advance deep in the Western Conference playoffs with Artest.

Although Artest was suspended 73 games last season for his part in the NBA's most infamous brawl, Jackson spoke in positive terms about the 26-year-old forward - a former All-Star and defensive player of the year - before Monday's game in Dallas.

"I don't see how you're going to get value out of this player who in my estimation is one of the most valuable players in the league," Jackson said. "Of course, I estimate him perhaps higher than other people. But I think he's a terrific player. He adds a big dimension to every game he plays in."

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak would not comment Wednesday on any player under contract to another team or address trade rumors. He added that Jackson probably would speak similarly about 15 to 20 other players across the league.

The Lakers are not even sure the Pacers ultimately will decide to trade Artest, though Indiana CEO Donnie Walsh said Monday the team would try. The problem comes in getting comparable players for Artest, who will make $6.8 million this season.

Most NBA stars are paid nearly double what Artest is making and the league's salary-cap rules require teams to approximately match player salaries in a trade.

In a Saturday interview with the Indianapolis Star, Artest said in a "perfect world" he would go home and play for the New York Knicks. Isiah Thomas, the Knicks' president of basketball operations, is believed to have coveted Artest for some time.

Speaking before New York's game Wednesday against the Orlando Magic, Isiah Thomas said he contacted the Pacers, but he won't trade any of his young players - such as Channing Frye, Nate Robinson and David Lee - for Artest.

What the Lakers could best offer for Artest - if they refuse to trade Odom - probably would be either forward Kwame Brown or forward Devean George and teenage center Andrew Bynum.

Brown could play center for the Pacers and allow Jermaine O'Neal to play power forward. George could replace Artest at small forward and is a talented defender. Bynum was the Lakers' first-round pick and has shown potential despite being only 18.

The Lakers might stand a better chance of winning during the three years Jackson is under contract to coach by moving Bynum, though the franchise's long-term future might be best served by keeping the 7-foot-1 big man.

Odom, meanwhile, is the last player remaining from the trade that sent Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat and is averaging 15.9 points, 9.4 rebounds and 5.6 assists in one of the best seasons of his career.

Jackson has said he returned to coaching with the belief that he could use Odom much as he once did Scottie Pippen in the triangle offense.

The possibility of an Odom-Artest pairing is intriguing because the two are friends from New York. Odom spoke out in support of Artest following last season's brawl and said Monday the two crossed paths a couple of times during the summer.

"He seemed like he was just ready to play," Odom said. "I was surprised by (the trade demand). You never know. ... My grandmother always said, 'You don't know what's going on in somebody else's house.' "

As coach of the Chicago Bulls, Jackson found a way to reach Dennis Rodman, the player in whose honor Artest used to wear No. 91. Jackson praised Artest on Monday as possibly being the best two-way player in the league and values his defense highly.

But trouble seems to follow Artest, and the question is whether a simple change of scenery is enough. The Lakers would ask only that Artest not be a disruption and seem to agree with what the seventh-year forward told the Indianapolis Star.

"I still think my past haunts me in this place," Artest told the newspaper. "I think somewhere else, I'm starting fresh. I'm coming in with baggage but people already know about it and how I'm going to be. Either they're going to be for me or they're not going to trade for me."
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: LA Daily news: Lakers and Knicks in hunt.

"Perfect World" riiiiiiigggghhht!

Well, no Channing no trade huh?

Banned

I'd freak out if the Lakers gave up Bynum to get Artest....completely freak out.......but I could live with Artest + Foster for Brown + Bynum...I guess.. blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd freak out if the Lakers gave up Bynum to get Artest....completely freak out.......but I could live with Artest + Foster for Brown + Bynum...I guess.. blah.
    Foster and Artest for Brown/Bynum, thats horrible.

Sports Logo

Are you frickin kidding me? I would do the MoPete deal beofre that......let's see.....trade Artest and Foster for 2 projects? Kwame is a bust.....if Phil Jackson can't coax anything out of him....there is no way that Carlisle can.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Are you frickin kidding me? I would do the MoPete deal beofre that......let's see.....trade Artest and Foster for 2 projects? Kwame is a bust.....if Phil Jackson can't coax anything out of him....there is no way that Carlisle can.
    Just because you don't like the deal from the Pacers end, that doesn't mean I should like the deal from the Lakers end. Just as you wouldn't like it, I wouldn't like it. One does not have much to do with the other except to say that the lakers and Pacers are a bad fit for a trade, which is what I've been saying all along.

Just because you don't like the deal from the Pacers end, that doesn't mean I should like the deal from the Lakers end. Just as you wouldn't like it, I wouldn't like it. One does not have much to do with the other except to say that the lakers and Pacers are a bad fit for a trade, which is what I've been saying all along.
    As far as Lakers fans go, I think you're in the minority - I'm not saying you're wrong - just outnumbered.

Everyone should take a look at LakersGround.net . That place is giddy with dreams of Artest in purple and gold.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

PTI and Around the Horn have been talking about Artest going to the Lakers all day long and Cold Pizza also had a segment about Artest going to the Lakers I guess thats what big market citys do to your attention...

Anubis04

yea...well w/o giving up odom...theres not a snowball's chance in hell LA is getting Artest...Brown, Mihm, etc are all busts...

I posted this in the trade rumor forum but I figure it also fits here.

This is from LA "insider" emplay:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewt...hlight=#297153

My latest news - though not entirely encouraging - is that LA's original offer was Mihm + George + Miami Pick for Artest and I believe Samaki Walker for salary balance.

It was rejected.

The Lakers have since - allegedly - offered Kwame straight up (not sure if the Miami pick is involved) - although Samaki could be part of that package too.

I hear the offer is being considered but is probably 5th out of the top 5 offers the Pacers have - and they're not sure yet which direction they'll go.

Pacesetter

I personally don't like anything the Lakers have to offer, they're a scrub team as it stands, why would we want any of their scrubs? Yeah Odom is ok, but his personality scares me off. No, "peanut" is in good shape in LA where he needs to stay. I think the Lakers are just trying to throw different combinations at the Pacers to wear on them, and then when they feel they've gotten the Pacers weakened they'll throw out Odom and try to close the deal. I know alot of folks here like Odom, but I really don't believe he fits here, and Jacko will fight vehemently with him, imo. It'll really "jack" up the chemistry.

Priceless:

Artest Lakers Jersey on sale:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...421546.2098404

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Priceless:

Wow. Somehow the Lakers and Ron Artest are just made for each other. Have fun getting your touches with Kobe around.

Gamble

[quote=Los Angeles]
    But the Lakers are not willing to part with forward Lamar Odom in a trade package and are uncertain whether they even will be among the league's leading contenders to land Artest, who demanded a trade over the weekend.[quote]
    Does no mean yes? SO what your saying is, i got a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Priceless:

That's not an actual jersey the site is selling. Someone just went to a custom jersey order site, put in Artest for the name and 91 for the number. Scroll down a little bit.

Pacesetter

Quote Originally Posted by TheHotShot31
    I agree totally!

Just my personal opinion here, but, I'd be really upset, and I mean REALLY upset if the Pacers put Foster in ANY deal with Artest.

Foster represents what Indiana basketball means to me. He hustles and scraps like Artest does, he oftentimes follows JO with double doubles and he's a natural leader with few vices. He's a solid troop, imo. His locker room presence is big.

Foster's a Pacer for life as far as I'm concerned! He's the feisty one, man!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacesetter
    I agree totally!

Just my personal opinion here, but, I'd be really upset, and I mean REALLY upset if the Pacers put Foster in ANY deal with Artest.

Foster represents what Indiana basketball means to me. He hustles and scraps like Artest does, he oftentimes follows JO with double doubles and he's a natural leader with few vices. He's a solid troop, imo. His locker room presence is big.

Foster's a Pacer for life as far as I'm concerned! He's the feisty one, man!
    Amen!
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by TheHotShot31
    Yeah - and I don't know how the Knicks are in the hunt. Unless DW decides he wants cap relief, we're dead in the water. But we could trade AD or Penny for Artest and Croshere. I'd take that over the Brown/Bynum offer if I was the Pacers but there have to be better offers out there.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire