Thread: Cap Flexibility next year

cracktower

Default Cap Flexibility next year

Losing Ron Artest would not be such a big loss, if we could package one of our bad contracts( Croshere) for an expiring contract and some young talent.

Next year we would have expiring contracts of Pollard(5.7 mil), Bender(6.5 mil), Gill(min)and whoever that comes in the trade( E.g Antonio Davis 12.9 mil )

If we add the figure up, that is 25 mil coming off the books next season.
    Our current total salary is $65 mil and if we minus 25 mil that leaves our total salary at $40 mil( that would be the second lowest salary total in the league even lower then Atlanta and only the BobCats have a lower salary total. )

Even after all the salary we shed this offseason, we would still have our core players intact( team that went to the second round of the palyoffs) and enough salary cap to sign a Big name free agent( Peja, Al )

The more I think of the situation, the more I like it. Remember a few years back The suns traded away Marbury(so called super star) for basically an expiring contract of Antonio Mcdyess and a few scrubs and draft pick.

Knicks fan and the whole media was prasing Isiah Thomas for pulling a fast one at the Suns Expense, but the next off season they signed Nash a better player at a ceaper contract and Quenten Richardson and went to the conference final. The knicks on the other hand .........

cracktower

Default Re: Cap Flexibility next year

Guys, I swear I am a loyal pacer fan and not a knicks fan in disguise

Think long term gains instead of short term solution.

Not a bad idea, but I don't think getting below the salary cap is very important to DW. Getting below the cap allows you to throw a lot of money at big FAs, but 1) we already have a max player in JO and teams under the cap typically over pay for those marquee FAs, and 2) for whatever reason, free agency isn't how Pacers management builds their teams - instead working from the draft and trades.

Also, I'm not too impressed with next summer's crop of FAs.

It would be nice for a change, however, to not have to give up players like James Jones just because we can't afford to pay them $2-3M in fear of going further over the LT.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by cracktower
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our current total salary is $65 mil and if we minus 25 mil that leaves our total salary at $40 mil( that would be the second lowest salary total in the league even lower then Atlanta and only the BobCats have a lower salary total. )
    Our current team salary is a few bucks shy of 80 million. We'd still be over the cap, if we made ALL the trades you suggested.

INDIANA PACERS

Jermaine O'Neal $16.44 million
    Austin Croshere $7.9 million
    Johnathan Bender $7.17 million
    Ron Artest $6.84 million
    Scott Pollard $6.27 million
    Stephen Jackson $5.61 million
    Jamaal Tinsley $5.4 million
    Jeff Foster $5 million
    Sarunas Jasikevicius $4 million
    Anthony Johnson $2.42 million
    Fred Jones $2.32 million
    Danny Granger $1.31 million
    David Harrison $898,200
    Eddie Gill $835,810
    Samaki Walker $719,373
    Other $6.127 million

Total $79.260 million

See any salary you disagree with? These came from the Dallas columnist, David Moore, who somehow gets this information from the league.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

If you do delete the salaries of Croshere, Bender, and Artest from next year's column it would drop to 44.2 million or so for the 9 remaining players. You'd have to get nothing but expiring contracts in trading Ron/Cro and get 100% relief from Bender's salary. I don't think that retirement gives 100% relief from $$ counted toward the cap.

The cost of 5-6 more guys would drive them over the cap (48?) unless they were all rookies.

Hopefully this team is not going that route.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Atlanta, Chicago, Denver & New Orleans are all teams that have tried & failed at the "let's drop below the cap & get some free agents" game.

Indiana has never EVER been the choice location of free agents. You could almost argue that Saras is the first big name (In Europe at least) free agent that has ever just signed here without first being traded here.

I am absolutely opposed to just salary dumps. It never works.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Atlanta, Chicago, Denver & New Orleans are all teams that have tried & failed at the "let's drop below the cap & get some free agents" game.
    Actually the best two teams in the league, San Antonio and Detroit, both put their current teams together by going below the cap and using their cap space wise.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

Indiana has never EVER been the choice location of free agents. You could almost argue that Saras is the first big name (In Europe at least) free agent that has ever just signed here without first being traded here.

I am absolutely opposed to just salary dumps. It never works.
    Aggreed! Though SA has been pretty succesfull at it and I wouldn't say Denver was a total failure just yet. They just have to tweak a little IMO.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    INDIANA PACERS

Jermaine O'Neal $16.44 million
    Austin Croshere $7.9 million
    Johnathan Bender $7.17 million
    Ron Artest $6.84 million
    Scott Pollard $6.27 million
    Stephen Jackson $5.61 million
    Jamaal Tinsley $5.4 million
    Jeff Foster $5 million
    Sarunas Jasikevicius $4 million
    Anthony Johnson $2.42 million
    Fred Jones $2.32 million
    Danny Granger $1.31 million
    David Harrison $898,200
    Eddie Gill $835,810
    Samaki Walker $719,373
    Other $6.127 million

Total $79.260 million

See any salary you disagree with? These came from the Dallas columnist, David Moore, who somehow gets this information from the league.

Do you have a URL for this? Does he have salaries for other NBA teams, too?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    Do you have a URL for this? Does he have salaries for other NBA teams, too?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

yes
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)