Default Toronto? Greg Oden

From the Toronto Star

Raptors might dangle top picks
    Club could use No.1s for trades
    Sixers have made some inquiries
    Dec. 13, 2005. 10:35 AM
    DOUG SMITH
    SPORTS REPORTER

Rob Babcock admits he has been in "meaningful" trade discussions with other NBA general managers in the last few weeks as the league braces for a wave of speculation and perhaps some deals later this week.

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, any player who signed as a free agent before the season began can't be traded until Thursday, but once that moratorium is lifted and about 100 players flood the market, there might be some movement.

And the Raptors could be involved.

"I don't know if we're that close in any of our talks, but we have had some very meaningful discussions," the Raptors' general manager said in a telephone interview yesterday. "We're always looking."

For the first time, Babcock said the team's future first-round draft picks could be moved in the right package.

"Nothing's untouchable," he said. "We could move one of those picks if we need it to facilitate a very good trade for our team."

As Babcock sees it, the fact there are so many more players on the market isn't the sole reason for making trades later this week because teams aren't likely to have already completely soured on free agents they signed just over two months ago.

However, having those contracts to throw into a mix — and financial concerns drive every trade made in the NBA these days — makes doing a deal much easier.

"Generally, it's only going to happen to balance a trade out; if you've been talking to a team about a certain player and you need someone involved who's been playing under the Dec.15 rule," Babcock said.

The Raptors have only three players who will be eligible to be traded Thursday — free-agent signees Jose Calderon, Matt Bonner and Pape Sow. Rookies Charlie Villanueva and Joey Graham have been tradable for more than a month.

And while it's inconceivable Babcock would deal Calderon, Sow might fetch something because he's leading the D-League in rebounding. And Bonner has a manageable contract that might be attractive as cap ballast in a multi-player deal.

As for other Raptors who might be shopped, it's no secret that Eric Williams is attractive — Philadelphia called early in the season but there was no equitable arrangement — and the Raptors could easily be persuaded to part with Jalen Rose if any team wanted to take on his substantial contract (this year and next at more than $32 million U.S. dollars) along with his diminishing scoring skills.

Williams could hold the key. He isn't being used now — coach Sam Mitchell is loath to take him off the inactive list and steal minutes from Morris Peterson and Graham — but he is coveted by some teams.

A veteran who can defend and make shots is a commodity in high demand and his contract — this year and next at a total of less than $8 million (U.S.) — makes him even more attractive.

But, if Babcock gets an offer for Peterson or Bonner that he can't refuse, Williams is more than capable of filling that void on the Raptors. His health is not an issue. He has fully recovered from pre-season knee woes, so there is no worry that he'd break down playing extended minutes.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the 4-17 Raptors need help at nearly every position.

But Babcock's desire to add someone won't mean anything if he doesn't have anything substantial to offer and that's where one of those future first-round picks might come in to play.

Toronto gives us next years 1st....Ron goes up there and absolutely destroys their season....we get 1st pick in draft and take guess who (lessee...he's from LN)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Toronto? Greg Oden

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He can't go into the draft. New CBA. Have to be 20.

Sorry I picked the wrong years draft pick.....1st pick for 2 years from now.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer

Toronto gives us next years 1st....Ron goes up there and absolutely destroys their season....we get 1st pick in draft and take guess who (lessee...he's from LN)

Ogden can't enter the draft next year. He'll have to either go to college for a year or sit out for a year. Remember the rules changed with the new CBA.

Actually a player only has to be 19 or graduated from HS for a year. Stern wanted an age 20 limit but had to settle on the 19/1 year rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

ask for the 2007 pick instead of 2006.

Having Ron for the ENTIRE year next season assures them MANY MANY ping pong balls.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Oden won't be in the next draft.

You have to be 19, not 20.

And Oden should stay away from a basketball court except for individual practices IMHO until he is old enough to enter the draft.

He has everything to lose and nothing to gain by playing. From injury to simply losing some luster by giving everyone a look at him against stiffer competition and more media exposure.

By sitting out his legend would grow. By playing he puts it all in jeopardy on several fronts.

JMHO... I could be wrong... but I'm not...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Something tells me 2007's draft, Toronto will have a very high pick still
    They have a protected top five pick this year but I think they owe it to another team...

Why Not Us ?

hahaha ..Greg was just talking about the Raptors at lunch

What, do you sit at his table?

Yeah. For the first 15 mins then the other 15 I go walk around the commons and just hang out with some other people.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    Yeah. For the first 15 mins then the other 15 I go walk around the commons and just hang out with some other people.
    Ok now, did he mention anything about the Pacers and a certain frozen lottery draft envelope?

Oh wait I have said to much....

Why Not Us ?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see the article now...

Pacers Gurl has been fined $200,000, and suspended for 5 days on the Pacers Digest forum for tampering with Greg Oden about possibly joining the Pacers.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

!

but Frank, he did say that he'd love to play for us but it'll be impossible since we can't get that high in the draft and he was bein funny and said that he'd be too good to slip down to our pick.

!

but Frank, he did say that he'd love to play for us but it'll be impossible since we can't get that high in the draft and he was bein funny and said that he'd be too good to slip down to our pick.
    Oh yea no doubt he is a top pick if he comes out after his first season.
    Only chance would be to haved traded for a lottery team's pick.

Why Not Us ?

!

Tell him to pull an Eli Manning and demand a trade to Indy.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

!

Well, both sides are doing their parts....
    Pacers are self-destructing and can't get in gear after last season and Oden going to college has nothing to gain and everything to lose (as far as draft position) by going to college even for a year.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

But if you got Oden, what would you do with David Harrison? Harrison clearly has more upside!!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
    But if you got Oden, what would you do with David Harrison? Harrison clearly has more upside!!!!!!

Writerman doesn't post here, FP22. At least I think that's what you're referencing.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Writerman doesn't post here, FP22. At least I think that's what you're referencing.
    I thought I heard footsteps

BTW, Josh McRoberts own Oden. (PS. I'm graduate of Carmel) Lets leave it as it is, hey, maybe we can get McRoberts out of Duke