Thread: Monteith was right, we're not title contenders, and Carlisle better brace himself

Default Monteith was right, we're not title contenders, and Carlisle better brace himself

Last year, Carlisle was dragged down by the brawl. This year, he suddenly finds himself dealing with a similar situation roster-wise (save the addition of two rookies, Jasikevicius and Granger, as well as whatever new player(s) we get).

Still, fans and critics aren't going to be very forgiving of Carlisle if this team doesn't manage to remain in the top ten of the NBA.

The thing is, it's not his fault. Sure, the team struggles for shots. But he built this team to play a defense-first, grind-it-out sort of game. And it's an easy game to criticize when the team isn't winning, because it's ugly when you win, and it's downright unwatchable when you lose.

But I'm not convinced that any other coach in the league could do a better job with this team than Rick. Nevertheless, he's going to be a prime candidate for under-the-bus throwing over the next couple of months.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Monteith was right, we're not title contenders, and Carlisle better brace himself

Some of it is his fault. The stlye of play he is insiting on is wrong for these players. His reliance on AJ should get him fired but it wont.

Default Re: Monteith was right, we're not title contenders, and Carlisle better brace himself

Quote Originally Posted by flakcatcher
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last year, Carlisle was dragged down by the brawl. This year, he suddenly finds himself dealing with a similar situation roster-wise (save the addition of two rookies, Jasikevicius and Granger, as well as whatever new player(s) we get).

Still, fans and critics aren't going to be very forgiving of Carlisle if this team doesn't manage to remain in the top ten of the NBA.

The thing is, it's not his fault. Sure, the team struggles for shots. But he built this team to play a defense-first, grind-it-out sort of game. And it's an easy game to criticize when the team isn't winning, because it's ugly when you win, and it's downright unwatchable when you lose.

But I'm not convinced that any other coach in the league could do a better job with this team than Rick. Nevertheless, he's going to be a prime candidate for under-the-bus throwing over the next couple of months.
    Its either under-the-bus or coach of the year for Carlisle. Something tells me we will still be contenders when this season nears its end.

I see more movement in our halfcourt sets this year, I like that.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Why do you guys get like this after one loss

well at least our offense was more open without Artest.. rimshot..

no really give me a freakin break.. all this we are not contenders now crap.

If you start of slow and finish strong get a low seed in the playoffs and make the finals.. is that team a Title contender on day one ??

If a team has one of the best records in the league all year long and loses in the first round was that team a title cotender??

It's NOT how you are playing in November-Jan , Its how you are playing Feb- April... as long as you dont take yourself completely out of playoff contention which I dont see happening,,, what is the sense of dying after every loss for no reason....

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydawg2270
    Why do you guys get like this after one loss

Bucks lost to so we're still second in the east but 4.5 back from the pistons.

I'd like to point out that a lot of the beloved Pacers teams of the mid-late 90s started off slow, then turned it on after the all-star break.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    I'd like to point out that a lot of the beloved Pacers teams of the mid-late 90s started off slow, then turned it on after the all-star break.
    You are correct..

93-94 will alway of course be engrained in my memory

16-23 , they then go on a 7 game winning streak to finish 23-23 at the All -star break.. finished 47-35..

Why Not Us ?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This was the equivalent of the second or third preseason game for the "new" Pacers.

You're going to need a bit of patience as the kinks get worked out.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you