Thread: Saras the shooting guard

Default Saras the shooting guard

What has everyone thought of Saras playing the 2 spot (both on offense and defense)? Anyone think it could become a more frequent thing, with him playing next to Tins?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re: Saras the shooting guard

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What has everyone thought of Saras playing the 2 spot (both on offense and defense)? Anyone think it could become a more frequent thing, with him playing next to Tins?

Saras was defending the Celtics point guard all night tonight. AJ or Fred defended Ricky Davis.

Offensively, I think it limits Saras to have him play shooting guard. His passing is too good. I want him playing point guard.

Gamble

I agree. I would like AJ to not play at all and have saras play the point either
    behind Tinsley or in a wierd,,,almost unthinkable circumstance, when he
    is hurt.

Runi is okay at SG but if you dont want AJ to play then we'll have to have him come off the bench and have someone else fill in the SG spot. I thing Runi at SG is a bit tricky because he might end up having to guard the better SGs in the league, in crunch time I'd like having Tins and Runi in at the same time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Saras was defending the Celtics point guard all night tonight. AJ or Fred defended Ricky Davis.

Offensively, I think it limits Saras to have him play shooting guard. His passing is too good. I want him playing point guard.
    I agree.

However, this team is in a deep shortage of shooters. Jack is playing SF, Fred's no shooter, and neither is AJ, or Gill. It leaves just Saras as the option at SG, or playing Jack as SG and then Danny is the only one that can play SF.

The Artest trade should handle these issues.

We need to get back a good shooter for Artest - so Saras can play PG. Another option is a good SF so Jack can play SG, but I think Rick really likes Jack at the SF position, and so do I. It seems a good fit.

Another problem is that shooters need to get the ball for open looks. That's created by penetration, and neither Saras nor AJ do that very well. Tinsley is good, but he's not playing. A Tinsley-Saras back-court solves it (providing Tinsley will actually pass to an open shooter), but creates problems on the defensive end as Saras can't guard SGs like Ricky Davis.

To sum it up - I think that Tinsley is obsolete to this team, and can be traded with Artest for a shooter and a penetrator.

I said it in other threads, and I'll say it again here -

Artest+Tinsley(+Fred) for Rashard+Flip

There is one more option, of course... :
    Any chance Reggie wants to come back? I think he'd really enjoy playing with Saras...

Saras/Reggie/Jack/JO/Croshere - that's a lineup for you!

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    What has everyone thought of Saras playing the 2 spot (both on offense and defense)?
    it sucks?

although, realistically speaking the team may be having problems with shooters. the second option Jackson is shooting liek a very average Latvian (not to mention Lithuanian ) league player (percentage-wise). imho Saras always played a PG, who scores considerably, with no other PGs on court.

Sports Logo

NPFII I know you carry Sara's jock strap arround but get a life. Calling Tinsley obsolete because he is injury prone is as absurd as most of your other posts.

Yes Tinsley needs to be healthy this year durring the playoffs or he needs to be traded. I agree with that. But if you have watched ANY Pacer games you know this team mostly SUCKS when he does not play and mostly wins when he does. We have beaten exactly ONE team above .500 with him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    NPFII I know you carry Sara's jock strap arround but get a life. Calling Tinsley obsolete because he is injury prone is as absurd as most of your other posts.

Yes Tinsley needs to be healthy this year durring the playoffs or he needs to be traded. I agree with that. But if you have watched ANY Pacer games you know this team mostly SUCKS when he does not play and mostly wins when he does. We have beaten exactly ONE team above .500 with him out.
    Oh, believe me, I've seen enough games.

I saw Tinsley pout his way out of the 4th quarter against Miami while Saras hit the game winner. I saw him give the ball to Saras for the last shot against Atlanta. I saw him constantly stagnant the offense.

But mainly - I saw him on the bench, in street-clothes.

Tinsley is a great player, and a great PG. No doubt in my mind that a healthy Tinsley is a better PG than Saras is. But he has 2 main problems:
    1. His attitude. It may not be as negative as some may say, but it's definitely not positive either. Have you ever heard him say "it's all about the team. It's all about winning"? Have you seen him play like he thinks that way? He's got baggage, and it shows.
    2. He's injured. A lot. Playoff time is at least a month if you get to the higher stages. Is there a doubt in anyone's mind that he won't be there, or play hurting, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT MATTERS?

Now say what you will about the team without him - I think that after the Artest trade it will look better. I wouldn't say trade Tinsley if it was just him. I just say that in this situation you can seize the oppotunity of the Artest situation to maximize the return you get and make the team better overall, capiche?

npf; it becomes clear that you either need glasses badly or something else is wrong.

you "seen" Tins pout in the Mia game? I assume you were there sitting right behind him?
    Spoke to him, and he told you ?

he has "issues"? is that a modern word you picked up in one of the threads about Ron?
    you obviously know a lot more then most here, so please elaborate?

To say about a "pass first PG" that he's not about team play is like saying Starbury is the ultimate pg, oh wait......

Oh and once again, awesome line-up with that 40 year old colour commentator in it, to bad we used his contract for the pardon and he is not allowed to come back, even if we paid him the max. or nothing at all.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I know people don't believe me, but the vast majority of the minutes Cabbage has played has been at the 2 position. Even when he's playing with Fred, a majority of the time, while he does bring the ball up, if their are no quick opportunities, he passes to Fred and goes to the wing, while Fred runs the set.

My only concern is that when Tinsley comes back, if Cabbage stays the starter, then our backcourt defense will be attrocious. When he plays with AJ or Fred, they can take the tougher matchup (Arenas vs. Hayes, Davis vs. West, etc.) I don't even want to think about what'll happen when we play a killer backcourt like Billups and Rip.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!