Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacers better get some inside scoring for Artest

Diesel_81

Default Re: Pacers better get some inside scoring for Artest

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I kind of felt like that was what we were doing with the Jalen trade, re-building without re-building.

That trade was good short term, but not so good long term.

Maybe we can have better luck the second go around.........
    Thats actually what I had in mind when I said rebuilding. I don't think we'll be in the lottery. I just think with the players we'll get back it will probably take us a couple years to get back to championship caliber again.

Inside scoring/low post moves, good enough to occasionally draw a double-team or otherwise create some havoc:

Peja-no
    Al-yes definitely
    Odom- yes
    MoPete-not really
    Bonzi-yes
    Stromile Swift- sort of
    Dunleavy- no
    Diogu- maybe
    Dalembert- not really
    Marbury-no
    Richard Jefferson-no

If that's the main criteria then Al may be the best fit.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_81
    I think we all knew he wasn't a good second option on a championship contender and we now know he's not a 3rd option either on a championship caliber team because he needs so many shots to get his points.

Guys I have a feeling we are about to see this team blow up. I would not be surprised to see a Jamal Tinsley, Steven Jackson , David Harrison or Freddie Jones involved in any deal that includes Ron Artest.If there not shipped with Artest then I expect at least 3 of them to be on different teams before the trade deadline. In a sense I think were in rebuilding mode again.

If the trade is for youth, Donnie/Larry have given up championship hopes.
    Otherwise you would fill in a veteran to help us get back to that level.
    I do not think we are anywhere close to a championship team right now
    and that between now and End of Summer we will be looking at a completly different team. Jack/Tins/DH are for sure going, Pollard will be gone as a FA.

Question becomes do you want to once again try to build a team around JO?
    or do you completly start over.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think we're rebuilding.

Maybe re-stocking, but rebuilding would imply that we're going to trade all of these guys for lottery picks or projects.

If these other guys are involved, we'll get pieces that are *at least* ready to play and *should* fit together nicely.

This is like a puzzle, and since you can't trade Ron for a puzzle piece shaped just like Ron, its going to take a creative solution.

Jermaniac - I've got to agree solidly with your point as well. The outcome of this trade/ these trades is that this may no longer be a good match with Rick (it probably wasn't a good match with Rick in the first place).

With Ron, our "window" was never really this season anyway. Now, once these moves are made, we need to be thinking of making a deep playoff run next season, not having the best possible record in January 2006. So we need a coach that's willing to live with some rough spots while the young players we've got develop. (And we're going to need the same attitude from our fans - none of us 'get rid of Ron' advocates promised that it would be a smooth transition, just that it would be better in the long run.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204

Jermaniac - I've got to agree solidly with your point as well. The outcome of this trade/ these trades is that this may no longer be a good match with Rick (it probably wasn't a good match with Rick in the first place).

With Ron, our "window" was never really this season anyway. Now, once these moves are made, we need to be thinking of making a deep playoff run next season, not having the best possible record in January 2006. So we need a coach that's willing to live with some rough spots while the young players we've got develop. (And we're going to need the same attitude from our fans - none of us 'get rid of Ron' advocates promised that it would be a smooth transition, just that it would be better in the long run.
    Of course a key may be management telling Carlisle what is expected (and more importantly, what is not expected).

Last year was about winning each game to keep the team in contention for the fans (IMHO) and nothing else. No thought about the future at all. This year was to be 'the future'. We'd tread water, apply band-aids, win for Reggie as best we could, and just get the thing thru the season and be ready to aim for this season (which was simply last season delayed).

But if management decides we are at all in a rebuilding mode then IF they tell Carlisle they don't care as much about wins 'this year' as developing young talent for next year, could he do it? Would the existing players fall in line?

Or is Carlisle never the right coach for developing young talent or seeing potential?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The topic of this thread was never more obvious than tonight.

Oh, and somebody who can block out and get a freakin' defensive board.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Magette gets to the line a lot. So does Pierce.

Sports Logo

Assuming that we want to clear salary....as someone said before....the intent was not as much to make space to sign a free agent...but to resign players that we would want to keep....such as Granger.

Other then him...who are we looking to resign? Freddie is the only one that I can think of....and I don't think that they are going to resign him for the money that he is likely to command or demand.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Magette gets to the line a lot. So does Pierce.
    Yes....but Maggette is also injury prone.....the guy has a tendency to get injured in some way.

I don't doubt his skills....but I really want a guy that isn't going to miss an average of 16 games a season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

If we need a Inside scorer then we must hope for Al.