Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Insider request-Potential Ron trades on BSPN

Attention everyone: this is how it's supposed to look INCLUDING THE LINK:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...26id%3d2257708

How can your team get Ron Artest?

By Chris Sheridan
    ESPN Insider
    Archive

Ron Artest wants to be traded, and the Indiana Pacers say they'll accommodate his request.

But what can Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh get for their All-Star caliber player now that everyone knows he's on the block? Here are 44 purely speculative trade scenarios, one for each of the other 29 teams, all of which would work under salary cap rules.

We are assuming that each team would try to get Artest, who earns $6,842,105 this season, as cheaply as possible. Rules require that the total salaries of players traded by one team not exceed that of players traded by the other team by more than 25 percent plus $100,000.

Each trade scenario is rated on a plausibility scale, from 1 (highly unlikely) to 5 (makes perfect sense), taking into account the potential interest of both the Pacers and the other team to make the deal.

ATLANTA HAWKS
    Al Harrington is a perfect match salary-wise, but the Hawks will likely hold onto him until it's closer to the trade deadline, then move him if they feel he'll leave as a free agent. For now, they could offer Tyronn Lue ($3.5 million) and Tony Delk ($2.925 million). Plausibility rating (Harrington): 3
    Plausibility rating (Lue/Delk): 1

BOSTON CELTICS
    The chances are almost zilch that Danny Ainge would offer Paul Pierce ($13.8 million) for Artest and another player. Instead, the C's could combine Brian Scalabrine ($2.6 million), Dan Dickau ($2.25 million) and Marcus Banks ($1.724 million). Plausibility rating (Pierce): 1
    Plausibility rating (Scalabrine/Dickau/Banks): 1

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS
    The second-year franchise is about $3.5 million below its salary cap of $37.1 million, so the Bobcats would not have to match Artest's salary. They could offer Jumaine Jones ($1.875 million) and Kareem Rush ($3 million). Plausibility rating (Jones/Rush): 1

CHICAGO BULLS
    Back in the days of Jerry Krause, they traded Artest and Brad Miller for Jalen Rose. To get Artest back, they could offer Tim Thomas ($13.975 million) and take Austin Croshere ($7.8 million). Plausibility rating (Thomas): 3

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
    Ron-Ron said he wouldn't mind being LeBron James' backup. Danny Ferry could offer Donyell Marshall ($4.8 million) or Eric Snow ($5.48 million) and a throw-in, but Ferry would more likely try to lump together Luke Jackson ($1.95 million), Sasha Pavlovic ($1.274 million) and Ira Newble ($2.95 million). Plausibility rating (Marshall/Snow): 1
    Plausibility rating (Jackson/Pavlovic/Newble): 1

DALLAS MAVERICKS
    Plenty of possibilities, the most amenable of which (for Dallas) would be Keith Van Horn ($15.7 million) for Artest and Croshere, or a straight-up offer of Jerry Stackhouse ($8.37 million). Plausibility rating (Various Mavs options): 4

DENVER NUGGETS
    One player agent told Insider on Monday that the Nuggets were listening to offers for Kenyon Martin ($10.89 million). If Denver tried to get Artest at a cheaper price, an offer of Voshon Lenard ($3.5 million) and Nene ($3.04 million) would work. Plausibility rating (Martin): 1
    Plausibility rating (Lenard/Nene): 4

DETROIT PISTONS
    They wouldn't dare bring in the player most people blame for igniting The Palace brawl last season, would they? Only if they could get him for Darko Milicic ($4.13 million) and Maurice Evans ($1.5 million). Plausibility rating (Milicic/Evans): 2

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    Artest could be a piece of the puzzle that would lock up a postseason berth for the Warriors, but would Chris Mullin be willing to part with a key reserve, Derek Fisher ($5.4 million), who's shooing nearly 50 percent from 3-point range? Plausibility rating (Fisher): 2

HOUSTON ROCKETS
    If Artest is looking for offensive freedom, he won't find it here behind Tracy McGrady. But Carroll Dawson could still try to get him on the cheap by offering Jon Barry ($1.8 million) and Moochie Norris ($4.2 million). Plausibility rating (Barry/Norris): 1

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS
    Artest could turn the Clippers from an upstart into a powerhouse, but would they part with Corey Maggette ($7 million)? More likely is an offer of Chris Wilcox ($2.8 million) and Zeljko Rebraca ($3 million). Plausibility rating (Maggette): 3
    Plausibility rating (Wilcox/Rebraca): 1

LOS ANGELES LAKERS
    If they could get Artest for Kwame Brown ($7.5 million), they'd do it in a second. If they could get him for Devean George ($5 million) and Stanislav Medvedenko ($3 million), they'd do it in a nanosecond. Plausibility rating (Brown): 1
    Plausibility rating (George/Medvedenko): 2

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
    Jerry West reportedly tried to acquire Artest last season in exchange for Bonzi Wells. Indiana would probably trade Artest for Shane Battier ($4.9 million) and a throw-in, but West is not likely to make such an offer. But he might propose Brian Cardinal ($5.4 million) and a throw-in. Plausibility rating (Battier): 3
    Plausibility rating (Cardinal): 1

MIAMI HEAT
    Indiana has always liked Antoine Walker ($6.88 million), who hasn't fit in all that well with his new team. If the Heat could acquire Artest, they'd have little need for James Posey ($5.9 million). Plausibility rating (Walker): 4
    Plausibility rating (Posey): 3

MILWAUKEE BUCKS
    An offer of Bobby Simmons ($8 million) might get the job done, but general manager Larry Harris would first make a lowball offer of Joe Smith ($6.35 million) or a package of Dan Gadzuric ($4.75 million) and Jiri Welsch ($2.18 million). Plausibility rating (Simmons): 2
    Plausibility rating (Smith): 1
    Plausibility rating (Gadzuric/Welsch): 2

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
    Could package a strong defender, Trenton Hassell ($4.35 million), with spare parts Mark Madsen ($2 million) and Nikoloz Tskitishvili ($745,000). A better offer would include Wally Szczerbiak ($10.5 million), but Indiana would have to send back another player. Plausibility rating (Hassell/Madsen/Tskitishvili): 3
    Plausibility rating (Szczerbiak): 2

NEW JERSEY NETS
    Rod Thorn is trying to find a power forward, not a small forward, and Artest would have a hard time fitting in with Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter manning the two and three spots. But if the Nets would be willing to move Carter ($13.8 million) to shake up a team in a funk, they could take back Artest and Jeff Foster ($5 million). Plausibility rating (Carter): 3

NEW ORLEANS HORNETS
    Almost $6.5 million below the salary cap, the Hornets would not have to match salaries. Bostjan Nachbar ($2.5 million), Arvydas Macijauskas ($2.5 million) and Rasual Butler ($1.3 million) are all expendable. Plausibility rating (Nachbar/Macijauskas/Butler): 3

NEW YORK KNICKS
    This is the team Artest would prefer to play for, but the Pacers are loathe to make any deals with former coach and Bird adversary Isiah Thomas, who could offer Jamal Crawford ($6.48 million) or Quentin Richardson ($6.95 million). Plausibility rating (Crawford or Richardson): 3

ORLANDO MAGIC
    For a franchise going nowhere, an infusion of Artest might get the folks in central Florida interested again. Hedo Turkoglu ($5.4 million) and Stacey Augmon ($1.14 million) would help replace some of what Indiana will be losing. Plausibility rating (Turkoglu/Augmon): 2

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
    Willie Green could be sent to Indiana in a sign-and-trade deal if the Pacers want to take a chance on his surgically repaired knee, and the Sixers could combine his salary with that of Kyle Korver ($3.63 million), who would be expendable if Artest came aboard. Plausibility rating (Green/Korver): 4

PHOENIX SUNS
    Raja Bell ($4.25 million) and Jim Jackson ($2.64 million) would work, and if Bryan Colangelo was willing to throw in Leandro Barbosa ($930,000), he might just be able to get a deal done. Plausibility rating (Bell/Jackson/Barbosa): 3

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
    Ruben Patterson ($6.35 million) will likely be traded somewhere sooner rather than later, but general manager John Nash is wary of bringing in any head cases -- a category in which Artest definitely qualifies. Plausibility rating (Patterson): 1

SACRAMENTO KINGS
    The trade that everyone seems to feel makes most sense would be a straight-up swap for Peja Stojakovic ($7.5 million), but the Kings insist there have been no discussions about trading him. They'd rather move Corliss Williamson ($6 million), Brian Skinner ($4.95 million) and/or Kenny Thomas ($6.5 million). Plausibility rating (Stojakovic): 4
    Plausibility rating (Williamson/Skinner/Thomas): 1

SAN ANTONIO SPURS
    Another team awash in spare parts. Indiana has always liked Argentine center Fabricio Oberto ($2.35 million), who could be combined with Brent Barry ($4.7 million) to make the salaries match. But could coach Gregg Popovich live with Artest's act? Probably not. Plausibility rating (Oberto/Barry): 1

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS
    Vladimir Radmanovic ($3.17 million) has the right to veto any trade, and he'd give up his Bird rights if he accepted one. That leaves Danny Fortson ($6.2 million) and Ronald Murray ($895,000) as the best package the Sonics would likely care to offer. Plausibility rating (Fortson/Murray): 1

TORONTO RAPTORS
    Morris Peterson ($4.55 million) would be a fit for the Pacers, but GM Rob Babcock would first try to move the dreck (Eric Williams, $3.9 million; Aaron Williams, $3.38 million) he received in the Carter trade. Plausibility rating (Peterson): 4
    Plausibility rating (Williams/Williams): 1

UTAH JAZZ
    Hard to imagine a worse pairing than Artest and coach Jerry Sloan, and the guess here is that Jazz owner Larry Miller would want no part of Artest -- even if the price was only Greg Ostertag ($4.4 million) or Matt Harpring ($5.02 million) and a throw-in. Plausibility rating (Ostertag/Harpring): 1

WASHINGTON WIZARDS
    Still kicking themselves for letting Larry Hughes get away, they'd gladly cut their losses with Antonio Daniels ($5 million). But they'd also have to include a small forward, either Jared Jeffries ($2.43 million) or Jarvis Hayes ($2.01 million). Plausibility rating (Daniels and Jeffries or Hayes): 3
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

What only 29 teams have a chance at Artest?

• Where are all the Division 1 Schools?
    • JR Colleges?
    • CBA ?
    • YMCA League local 137 ?

You call this an insider report....

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Attention everyone: this is how it's supposed to look INCLUDING THE LINK:
    I guess maybe I'm slow or something, but I don't know how to make it look like that either....I don't post articles very often, so hope I haven't been doing it wrong.

I usually just copy the text and paste it, so maybe I'm doing it right?

Sorry if I'm part of the problem!

Thanks for the article, and thanks for your post LA....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Naptown Seth

Default Re: ESPN Insider: Possible Trades

Horrible article. Artest's value certainly is below his skill level, however not that far below his skill level. I mean, this moron says Golden State would probably decline an Artest-for-Fisher straight up deal.

Yeah, now that I read it, it is pretty useless....All I originally saw was the Atlanta mention...

Sorry everybody!

I still would take that bag of ****ty salt & vinegar chips that were run over by a truck for Artest though...It would be nice to get something MORE, but if push came to shove....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I came over here after I saw the link on ESPN and agree that this is pretty bad. As another person wrote, we have had better ideas on this board.

If the thread was deleted because of the missing link, I apologize. Honest mistake, I forgot.

If it's because of the way the html was coded and the graphics were in the post, then I will remember to paste in plaintext only. IMO it is much more reader-friendly to keep the article how it is originally formatted.

I've read the rules numerous times, but I do not understand why the entire thread had to be deleted. Simply editing the post to include the link seems a lot more logical.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrm7one
    I've read the rules numerous times, but I do not understand why the entire thread had to be deleted. Simply editing the post to include the link seems a lot more logical.
    Because the mods do have real lives and shouldn't have to edit it when they find it. Because leaving it the way it is, with copyright material not referencing the original source exposes the Digest to action by copyright holders. Because deleting the thread gets people's attention and maybe they'll do it right the next time.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sorry, but we don't have time to clean it up for you. The policy has been to cover our (mostly able's and Hicks') butts from a technical and legal point of view.

The coding weighs down the servers - lets not forget this website is free for us to use but it does cost somebody something to let us have this corner of cyberspace. Of equal importance, the lack of a link could get somebody sued - not that they'd win but fan sites like this one probably don't have the financial strength to challenge a cease-and-decist letter from a cash cow like Mickey Mouse & Co.

Its nothing personal. But partial compliance just isn't good enough given the risks and costs involved.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    Horrible article. Artest's value certainly is below his skill level, however not that far below his skill level. I mean, this moron says Golden State would probably decline an Artest-for-Fisher straight up deal.
    You have to read it the other way.....its the offer that this guy thinks the Warriors will offer....although the Warriors would do this deal in a sec......the Pacers will decline it hence a lower probability that it will happen.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't see LB pulling the trigger on any of those deals. Everyone who called it a horrible article... I agree. I could have come up with better and have, and many of you have. Sorry if anyone paid for that piece of crap. Chris Bosh is not happy in Toronto and has said publicly that he would not sign a new contract when his rookie contract is up. It wasn't even mentioned. What about a Bosh/Mo Pete for Artest and a 1st rounder. I expect the Pacers to get a quality player or a first round pick + expiring contract at the minimum.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Pacesetter

Chris Sheridans ideas are certainly not favorable to the Pacers in my opinion.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    I don't see LB pulling the trigger on any of those deals. Everyone who called it a horrible article... I agree. I could have come up with better and have, and many of you have. Sorry if anyone paid for that piece of crap. Chris Bosh is not happy in Toronto and has said publicly that he would not sign a new contract when his rookie contract is up. It wasn't even mentioned. What about a Bosh/Mo Pete for Artest and a 1st rounder. I expect the Pacers to get a quality player or a first round pick + expiring contract at the minimum.
    Please find me the article where he publically said that.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrm7one
    If the thread was deleted because of the missing link, I apologize. Honest mistake, I forgot.

If it's because of the way the html was coded and the graphics were in the post, then I will remember to paste in plaintext only. IMO it is much more reader-friendly to keep the article how it is originally formatted.

First, thank you for sharing the article it's great that PD has a record of articles about the team stretching back over the last few years, so it is a great contribution to the site.

I don't think that the problem was the lack of a link. It was the lack of a link AND a post full of code that pulls pictures and table settings off of the ESPN servers. The web guys at ESPN can track who's taking thier content this way. That's VERY dangerous business.

You have to remove the cookies and tags before you post something you've copied in, and offer the link as a friendly "thank you" to the original source.

Able has issued several warnings about using someone else's formatting, and that he would delete the thread entirely if tracking info was posted here, not as punishment but as the fastest and easiest way to avoid trouble.

I'd say fair warning was given.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

ALWAYS include the link. And avoid the HTML as well, matter of fact. I think Jay already nailed it.

With NO under the cap I find myself thinking of Ron straight up for their #1 next year. Problem is, NO is showing signs of being a team this season and next year's draft may just be the weakest in NBA history.

Some of those were goofy though - he rates Green/Korver a 4?

Nene's intriguing but with a major knee injury?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

1. I deleted the first one, and would have simply done the same with the second one had I been online.
    2. As LA so eloquently states, ample warnings have been issued, not once or twice but numerous times
    3. LA explains the reasons most apt, copying an article and refering (including link) to the IP rights holder of the article is "sorta" legit, not really but close, since this is a "closed" forum and therefore it kinda falls under non-commercial news flash, to put it simple.
    4. Neither Hicks nor I should be exposed to the simplest to solve IP rights problems that go round, by using all the data from the ESPN servers (where every hit is tracked and referers are printed in logs (like on ALL webservers)) when you can simply copy to a text program like notepad and then paste the article, with a link, to this site.
    5. There's a sticky titled "on posting articles from other sites" or something like that in the top of the forum, it is also mentioned in the rules, which are on every page, so no mea culpas, jails are filled with people who "didn't know it was illegal".

I am sorry to be so rude as to delete such posts, but not only is it even ruder to ask of the administrators of this forum to make your post compliant, it is outright ridiculous to not care about those people, who invest a lot in this site, and their livelyhoods.

On top of that it is protection for yourself, since it is an "insider" post, your username and passwd are hidden in the links, and yes, every hit from the format in which it was posted can be tracked back to the poster.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

"Yeah... We need to talk about your TPS reports..."

I understand. I apologize. I just... forgot.

No harm, no foul. I understand, and will comply.