Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

  1. #1
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    It only kills it if you fails to meet us in the playoffs. That's all that matters.

    You are correct in saying that the national media won't care as much, but they only cared to begin with for all the wrong reasons.

    The important thing is, you need to BEAT the Pistons in the playoffs at some point in order to make it a true rivalry. It didn't become a true rivalry with the Knicks until you beat them in 1995.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. #2
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Yes it does. The Pacers will go nowhere without Ron.

  3. #3
    Member NorCal_Pacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,919

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    IMHO, it clears the muck that would be present when we played the Pistons this year with The Artest formerly known as a Pacer.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    It's kind of dissapointing we will never see that re-match at the Palace with Artest there. Part of the rivalry was also LB vs. Rick (because Rick was canned for LB to step in), and Reggie vs. Rip. Those 2 are gone as well. It wil still be good though. There's always JO vs. Sheed, and Stephen Jackson is always fun to boo.

  5. #5
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    If everything else changes.. We will always have the dustpan.. they can't take that away from us....

    Why Not Us ?


  6. #6
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Does the team Ron is traded to, become automatic rivals with the Pistons?

    I doubt it, but it will:

    a) Make their first appearance that much more interesting at the Palace (they weren't prepared to get booed that badly).
    b) The Pistons will encounter Ron before they originally expected!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does the team Ron is traded to, become automatic rivals with the Pistons?

    I doubt it, but it will:

    b) The Pistons will encounter Ron before they originally expected!
    Knowing how the NBA works they'll probably force your hand to send him to Sacramento for Peja after v (we don't play them again till next year after Wednesday). Or Denver, because they've already played at the Palace.

  8. #8
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Yeah, we've already played most of the western conference already, so we'd only get ron once, if at all this season.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. #9
    Member jrm7one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    After all the hype about the "Return to The Palace" game, it's interesting to think that Ron will never play in Detroit in a Pacers uniform again.

  10. #10
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,562

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Nope....I used to hate the Pistons cuz of the brawl....but given the last 3 days.....I now hate them because they are the hurdle that we have to overcome to win it all.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  11. #11
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Who do you dislike more? Ron Artest or Ben Wallace?


  12. #12
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It only kills it if you fails to meet us in the playoffs. That's all that matters.

    You are correct in saying that the national media won't care as much, but they only cared to begin with for all the wrong reasons.

    The important thing is, you need to BEAT the Pistons in the playoffs at some point in order to make it a true rivalry. It didn't become a true rivalry with the Knicks until you beat them in 1995.
    I disagree. An example would be the Colts vs the Pats (before we beat them this year). I think it was and is an intense rivalry. Personally, I will always be more pumped up for a game with the Pistons than any other team in the league.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  13. #13
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The important thing is, you need to BEAT the Pistons in the playoffs at some point in order to make it a true rivalry. It didn't become a true rivalry with the Knicks until you beat them in 1995.
    That's a bunch of crock. Ask the Colts who was their biggest rival, the Jags or the Patroits. I bet you every Colt player will say the Patroits were bigger.

    Check out the definition of the word rival.

    1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
    2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.


    It doesn't say is equal too says ATTEMPTS to equal or ALMOST equal. Falling to Det. two years makes it a rivalry due to the fact that they're the one team that is their main EC competitor.

  14. #14
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. An example would be the Colts vs the Pats (before we beat them this year). I think it was and is an intense rivalry. Personally, I will always be more pumped up for a game with the Pistons than any other team in the league.

    Great point. Just happened to beat me by a minute

  15. #15
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a bunch of crock. Ask the Colts who was their biggest rival, the Jags or the Patroits. I bet you every Colt player will say the Patroits were bigger.

    Check out the definition of the word rival.

    1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
    2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.


    It doesn't say is equal too says ATTEMPTS to equal or ALMOST equal. Falling to Det. two years makes it a rivalry due to the fact that they're the one team that is their main EC competitor.
    ...so by your estimation, the pistons don't consider the pacers rivals, since they don't fall into either definition of "rival?"

    I mean, I'd rather it not be considered a rivaly at all, than say that one team considers the other a rival while the other team isn't good enough to be CONSIDERED a rival..... That's pretty condacending.

    If you ask me, your definition demeans the Pacers a lot more than mine does.....

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #16
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...so by your estimation, the pistons don't consider the pacers rivals, since they don't fall into either definition of "rival?"

    I mean, I'd rather it not be considered a rivaly at all, than say that one team considers the other a rival while the other team isn't good enough to be CONSIDERED a rival..... That's pretty condacending.

    Not good with reading comprehension huh? There's two words, attempts and almost, that play a pretty important role in those definitions.

    Ask yourself some simple questions to determine whether or not the Pistons should consider them a contender.

    Are the Pacers ATTEMPTING to be equals to the Pistons?
    Do the Pacers ALMOST equal the Pistons?

    I'd say that winning alteast two games every series, not to mention wins during the regular season, qualifies as attempting and almost.

    Or are you trying to say that the almighty Pistons have no eastern conference rivals, and only the mightier Spurs can legitamately challenge Det's supreme hold on the league?

    EDIT: I think you consider the Pacers rivals, or why else would you be on a PACERS forum? I doubt you spend a lot of time on a Knicks board, or hell even a Cavs board. Maybe not even a Spurs board.

  17. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not good with reading comprehension huh? There's two words, attempts and almost, that play a pretty important role in those definitions.

    Ask yourself some simple questions to determine whether or not the Pistons should consider them a contender.

    Are the Pacers ATTEMPTING to be equals to the Pistons?
    Do the Pacers ALMOST equal the Pistons?

    I'd say that winning alteast two games every series, not to mention wins during the regular season, qualifies as attempting and almost.

    Or are you trying to say that the almighty Pistons have no eastern conference rivals, and only the mightier Spurs can legitamately challenge Det's supreme hold on the league?

    By your definition, yes.

    1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
    The Pistons aren't attempting to surpass Indiana. They already have.

    Unless you consider "who pursues the same object as another; a competitor" to be a rival, in which case every team in the NBA are "rivals" with the Pacers. Doesn't work.

    2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
    Same as the above: the Pacers have not equaled the Pistons.

    Just playing by your rules

    When the Pacers prove that they can eliminate the Pistons, I'll consider it a rivalry. You can have you definition,and I can have mine.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. #18
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    EDIT: I think you consider the Pacers rivals, or why else would you be on a PACERS forum? I doubt you spend a lot of time on a Knicks board, or hell even a Cavs board. Maybe not even a Spurs board.
    Haven't you been here a TAD too long to be asking me that question?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. #19
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless you consider "who pursues the same object as another; a competitor" to be a rival, in which case every team in the NBA are "rivals" with the Pacers. Doesn't work.
    Every team in the NBA are rivals, to an extent. The Pacers, and Heat, are the only true EC title rivals to the Pistons, because they're the only ones with a legit shot at surpassing them. Not even team is capable of that, there inlies the difference.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same as the above: the Pacers have not equaled the Pistons.
    Also, see above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just playing by your rules

    When the Pacers prove that they can eliminate the Pistons, I'll consider it a rivalry. You can have you definition,and I can have mine.
    Too bad my rules go my world accpeted definitions. Please let me know when I can expect a dictionary with your defintions that's as widely accpeted as Noah Websters.

    Although I don't hold a running tab of why everyone's here, I can safely assume as to why most are. Other fans reasonings range, but from most I can assume that they're here because they respect the Pacer Org, and honestly it doesn't make a difference to me why anyone is here. I'm not going to change anyone's hobbies/or the sites they view.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •