Thread: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Does Ron being gone kill our rivalry with the Pistons?

It only kills it if you fails to meet us in the playoffs. That's all that matters.

You are correct in saying that the national media won't care as much, but they only cared to begin with for all the wrong reasons.

The important thing is, you need to BEAT the Pistons in the playoffs at some point in order to make it a true rivalry. It didn't become a true rivalry with the Knicks until you beat them in 1995.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Yes it does. The Pacers will go nowhere without Ron.

IMHO, it clears the muck that would be present when we played the Pistons this year with The Artest formerly known as a Pacer.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

It's kind of dissapointing we will never see that re-match at the Palace with Artest there. Part of the rivalry was also LB vs. Rick (because Rick was canned for LB to step in), and Reggie vs. Rip. Those 2 are gone as well. It wil still be good though. There's always JO vs. Sheed, and Stephen Jackson is always fun to boo.

If everything else changes.. We will always have the dustpan.. they can't take that away from us....

Why Not Us ?

sweabs

Does the team Ron is traded to, become automatic rivals with the Pistons?

I doubt it, but it will:

a) Make their first appearance that much more interesting at the Palace (they weren't prepared to get booed that badly).
    b) The Pistons will encounter Ron before they originally expected!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does the team Ron is traded to, become automatic rivals with the Pistons?

I doubt it, but it will:

b) The Pistons will encounter Ron before they originally expected!
    Knowing how the NBA works they'll probably force your hand to send him to Sacramento for Peja after v (we don't play them again till next year after Wednesday). Or Denver, because they've already played at the Palace.

Yeah, we've already played most of the western conference already, so we'd only get ron once, if at all this season.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

After all the hype about the "Return to The Palace" game, it's interesting to think that Ron will never play in Detroit in a Pacers uniform again.

Sports Logo

Nope....I used to hate the Pistons cuz of the brawl....but given the last 3 days.....I now hate them because they are the hurdle that we have to overcome to win it all.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

sweabs

Who do you dislike more? Ron Artest or Ben Wallace?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    It only kills it if you fails to meet us in the playoffs. That's all that matters.

You are correct in saying that the national media won't care as much, but they only cared to begin with for all the wrong reasons.

The important thing is, you need to BEAT the Pistons in the playoffs at some point in order to make it a true rivalry. It didn't become a true rivalry with the Knicks until you beat them in 1995.
    I disagree. An example would be the Colts vs the Pats (before we beat them this year). I think it was and is an intense rivalry. Personally, I will always be more pumped up for a game with the Pistons than any other team in the league.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's a bunch of crock. Ask the Colts who was their biggest rival, the Jags or the Patroits. I bet you every Colt player will say the Patroits were bigger.

Check out the definition of the word rival.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
    2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

It doesn't say is equal too says ATTEMPTS to equal or ALMOST equal. Falling to Det. two years makes it a rivalry due to the fact that they're the one team that is their main EC competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I disagree. An example would be the Colts vs the Pats (before we beat them this year). I think it was and is an intense rivalry. Personally, I will always be more pumped up for a game with the Pistons than any other team in the league.

Great point. Just happened to beat me by a minute

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    That's a bunch of crock. Ask the Colts who was their biggest rival, the Jags or the Patroits. I bet you every Colt player will say the Patroits were bigger.

Check out the definition of the word rival.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

It doesn't say is equal too says ATTEMPTS to equal or ALMOST equal. Falling to Det. two years makes it a rivalry due to the fact that they're the one team that is their main EC competitor.
    ...so by your estimation, the pistons don't consider the pacers rivals, since they don't fall into either definition of "rival?"

I mean, I'd rather it not be considered a rivaly at all, than say that one team considers the other a rival while the other team isn't good enough to be CONSIDERED a rival..... That's pretty condacending.

If you ask me, your definition demeans the Pacers a lot more than mine does.....

...so by your estimation, the pistons don't consider the pacers rivals, since they don't fall into either definition of "rival?"

I mean, I'd rather it not be considered a rivaly at all, than say that one team considers the other a rival while the other team isn't good enough to be CONSIDERED a rival..... That's pretty condacending.

Not good with reading comprehension huh? There's two words, attempts and almost, that play a pretty important role in those definitions.

Ask yourself some simple questions to determine whether or not the Pistons should consider them a contender.

Are the Pacers ATTEMPTING to be equals to the Pistons?
    Do the Pacers ALMOST equal the Pistons?

I'd say that winning alteast two games every series, not to mention wins during the regular season, qualifies as attempting and almost.

Or are you trying to say that the almighty Pistons have no eastern conference rivals, and only the mightier Spurs can legitamately challenge Det's supreme hold on the league?

EDIT: I think you consider the Pacers rivals, or why else would you be on a PACERS forum? I doubt you spend a lot of time on a Knicks board, or hell even a Cavs board. Maybe not even a Spurs board.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    Not good with reading comprehension huh? There's two words, attempts and almost, that play a pretty important role in those definitions.

Ask yourself some simple questions to determine whether or not the Pistons should consider them a contender.

Are the Pacers ATTEMPTING to be equals to the Pistons?
    Do the Pacers ALMOST equal the Pistons?

I'd say that winning alteast two games every series, not to mention wins during the regular season, qualifies as attempting and almost.

Or are you trying to say that the almighty Pistons have no eastern conference rivals, and only the mightier Spurs can legitamately challenge Det's supreme hold on the league?

By your definition, yes.

The Pistons aren't attempting to surpass Indiana. They already have.

Unless you consider "who pursues the same object as another; a competitor" to be a rival, in which case every team in the NBA are "rivals" with the Pacers. Doesn't work.

Same as the above: the Pacers have not equaled the Pistons.

Just playing by your rules

When the Pacers prove that they can eliminate the Pistons, I'll consider it a rivalry. You can have you definition,and I can have mine.

EDIT: I think you consider the Pacers rivals, or why else would you be on a PACERS forum? I doubt you spend a lot of time on a Knicks board, or hell even a Cavs board. Maybe not even a Spurs board.
    Haven't you been here a TAD too long to be asking me that question?

Unless you consider "who pursues the same object as another; a competitor" to be a rival, in which case every team in the NBA are "rivals" with the Pacers. Doesn't work.
    Every team in the NBA are rivals, to an extent. The Pacers, and Heat, are the only true EC title rivals to the Pistons, because they're the only ones with a legit shot at surpassing them. Not even team is capable of that, there inlies the difference.

Same as the above: the Pacers have not equaled the Pistons.
    Also, see above.

Just playing by your rules

When the Pacers prove that they can eliminate the Pistons, I'll consider it a rivalry. You can have you definition,and I can have mine.
    Too bad my rules go my world accpeted definitions. Please let me know when I can expect a dictionary with your defintions that's as widely accpeted as Noah Websters.

Although I don't hold a running tab of why everyone's here, I can safely assume as to why most are. Other fans reasonings range, but from most I can assume that they're here because they respect the Pacer Org, and honestly it doesn't make a difference to me why anyone is here. I'm not going to change anyone's hobbies/or the sites they view.