Thread: Fisher: Colts' attempt to rush back onto field ``absurd''

Default Fisher: Colts' attempt to rush back onto field ``absurd''

ed:

Fisher: Colts' attempt to rush back onto field ``absurd''

By TERESA M. WALKER, AP Sports Writer
    December 5, 2005
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher thinks the undefeated Indianapolis Colts might want to spend a little time on their football etiquette.

Fisher wasn't happy about the way Peyton Manning and the Colts concluded the first half of their 35-3 victory over the Titans on Sunday. With 24 seconds left, Manning knelt down, then handed the ball to an official and started toward the locker room.

Then Manning and the Colts reversed field, seemingly hoping for one last play. That set off confusion on a field filled with players and coaches, and Fisher said Monday that he thought it was "absurd" and "ridiculous."

"That should fall under the category of unsportsmanlike conduct. Nothing positive to gain from that situation other than push and shove and those kind of things on the field, and I don't understand it. They don't need to explain it to me, but I don't understand it," Fisher said.

The Colts led 14-3 at the time and finished with their sixth straight victory over their one-time AFC South rivals in a game that showed just how much work the NFL's youngest team really has left in its rebuilding project.

Fisher said it appeared as if the Colts were trying to catch the Titans (3-9) for a penalty with what he called "75 guys, 10 trainers and four doctors on the field rather than 12. A lot of benefit from that."

They're unusually strong comments from Fisher that could be prompted by his Titans' 8-20 record over the past two seasons. But he's also a veteran coach with a firm grasp of football rules -- both written and unspoken -- as co-chairman of the NFL's competition committee.

This is a topic that likely will be up for discussion by the committee this offseason if Fisher has anything to do with it.

"You asked me my opinion. I thought it was ridiculous," Fisher said. "To me, it should fall under some category, or there's going to be problems, you know. Maybe I'll put a rule in this offseason."

Titans rookie cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones ran and hit Colts running back James Mungro to try and disrupt any play. Fisher said he doesn't have a problem with anyone on his club reacting as they did.

"Somebody should've taken the ball and thrown it in the stands. By all indications, they took the snap, kneeled down, flipped the ball and left the field. Half's over," Fisher said.

"Ask them."

Updated on Monday, Dec 5, 2005 7:05 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

It's always different when the trick play is on the other Foot isn't it...

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Fisher: Colts' attempt to rush back onto field ``absurd''

Geez, does EVERY team we beat have to b!tch about SOMETHING?

So wait go back on the field is unsportsmanlike conduct. But hitting one of our players isn't. STFU

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Geez, does EVERY team we beat have to b!tch about SOMETHING?
    As I have began to say in response to every team we beat who is crying, "Take your loss, and shut up."
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

It's just funny more than anything. And there was an Indystar article with him complaining about low hits, too.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS03/512050407

Titans claim Colts guilty of illegal hits
    McNair, Hartwig say they were trying to injure players by going for their legs

By Mike Chappell
    mike.chappell@indystar.com
    While the Indianapolis Colts were celebrating their 35-3 lacing of Tennessee on Sunday at the RCA Dome, the vanquished Titans were grumbling about questionable tactics.
    Center Justin Hartwig accused the Colts' defensive line of "going out of their way'' to leg-whip quarterback Steve McNair.

"They were using some shady tactics,'' Hartwig said to reporters in the Tennessee locker room.
    McNair agreed. He went down on two of the Colts' four sacks, including one by Dwight Freeney that resulted in a fumble and a 60-yard TD return by Larry Tripplett, and was hit on several other occasions.
    McNair left the Dome with shin and ankle injuries. He temporarily was forced from the game in the third quarter after a hit by tackle Corey Simon.
    "I think there was a couple of illegal hits, not only (on) me, but when three guys have Ben Troupe standing up and you have guys coming 10 yards and going straight for his legs, that is uncalled for,'' McNair said. "I think there were a couple of shots they did that were illegal.''
    The Titans' accusations came to light after the Colts had departed their locker room and were unavailable for a response.
    After the Colts defeated Jacksonville at the RCA Dome on Sept. 18, CBS analyst Boomer Esiason questioned the tactics of the defensive line, which sacked Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich six times.
    "I got leg-whipped on one (play) and kicked,'' McNair said. "The guy rolled twice and rolled right into me and rolled up on one ankle.''
    Hartwig said the Titans will remember how they were treated.
    "You don't forget stuff like that, when they were intentionally trying to injure our players, not only on offense but special teams for sure,'' he said.
    Cheap shot by Jones

Colts running back James Mungro had nothing nice to say about Titans rookie cornerback Adam "Pacman'' Jones. The two had a scuffle just prior to halftime after quarterback Peyton Manning took a knee to run out the clock.
    "We were going back to run a play and he was being real dirty,'' Mungro said of Jones. "He came back and blindsided me; took a cheap shot.
    "I didn't like it at all, but he'll get his sooner or later. Rookies make dumb mistakes and he makes a lot of mistakes. That's why we won big like that.''
    Jones was victimized by receiver Reggie Wayne in the third quarter for a 27-yard touchdown that gave the Colts a 21-3 lead.
    Big play by Freeney

The defense made several key plays, perhaps none bigger than the one by Freeney early in the second quarter.
    With the Titans trailing 7-0 and facing a third-and-3 at the Colts 20-yard line, Jones lined up in the backfield for the second time in two games. He was supposed to throw an option pass.
    Freeney detected something in Tennessee's formation and signaled frantically prior to the snap. As McNair pitched the ball to Jones, end Robert Mathis and two other Colts got to Jones, tackling him for a 13-yard loss.
    Forced to attempt a 51-yard field goal, Rob Bironas pulled it wide left.
    Statistical milestones

Although the Colts finished with just 292 yards of total offense -- their second-lowest total of the season -- several players managed to post significant numbers.
    Marvin Harrison became the 12th player in NFL history to surpass 12,000 career yards (12,040) and caught his 10th touchdown of the season. He's now had at least 10 touchdowns in seven straight seasons, extending his NFL record.
    Edgerrin James (28 carries, 107 yards) pushed his career rushing total to 9,067 yards in 93 games. The only players who reached the 9,000-yard mark quicker were Hall of Famers Eric Dickerson (82) and Jim Brown (88).
    The 100-yard game was the ninth of the season and 49th of James' career, the latter extending his club mark.
    Manning has 25 touchdowns in his eighth straight season, extending his NFL record.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sounds like Jeffy is sore. Seems to be bad PR for him to put down Peyton, a man beloved in the home state of the Titans... I'm sure Peyton had some reason for doing that. He's a classy guy and I don't know that he's not a terrific sportsman.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I think because of PM's killer instinct he was trying to keep the Titans completely off balance. You know they had to be thinking what will he do next.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think because of PM's killer instinct he was trying to keep the Titans completely off balance. You know they had to be thinking what will he do next.
    Peyton knows how to get into the heads of the opponent. After seeing the various Titans' comments, he was apparently quite effective at it.

Well, it probably was absurd but so what. I think Fisher is an ok guy. Now as far as the comments by the others STFU!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.