Thread: TO REST OR NOT TO REST:... Dungy changing his tune ?

Default TO REST OR NOT TO REST:... Dungy changing his tune ?

TO REST OR NOT TO REST: The question has come often in recent weeks, and Dungy answered as he has answered all along.

Question: Would he rest his starters if the Colts clinch homefield advantage?

Answer: He just doesn’t know.

At least not yet.

“If we’re fortunate enough to win, what I’ll try to do that next week is what I do every big decision I try to make for this team – I’ll pray about it and try to get some wisdom from the Lord,” Dungy said. “If we decide to play our guys, which I’m sure they’ll all want to play, I’ll pray that that don’t get hurt, and that we can go out there and keep winning.”

Dungy was asked if his decision to play running back Edgerrin James and quarterback Peyton Manning despite a 32-point lead with four minutes remaining was indication he might play starters if the Colts clinch home-field advantage?

“That’s one theory to have,” Dungy said. “Those guys, they want to play. They want to play all the time and you have to take that into consideration. We don’t let them vote, but I do take into consideration how they feel.”

“I’ve never been in that situation before. I know what I think I’ll do, but you never know until you get there. I really haven’t spent a lot of time trying to worry about it, because we’ve got a big fish to fry this week before we get to that.”

Dungy said the decision to leave James and Manning in was made during the fourth quarter.

“We basically had set up that we were going to do one more series with those guys,” Dungy said. “We didn’t know where we were going to get the ball or how much time was going to be left. Normally, when we get into a situation like that, where we’re ahead, we say, ‘We’re going to play one more series,’ or, ‘This is it.’’’

James rushed for 10 yards on the drive to surpass the 100-yard mark for a second consecutive game, and the ninth time this season.

“We sometimes get that information,” Dungy said, smiling. “As a matter of fact, we did have that information (Sunday). I’ll ask, usually. You don’t let that interfere with what’s happening in the game, but once the game’s in control, you do think about some of those things.”

TAKING A BREAK: The Colts had a third Monday off in five weeks this week, with the exceptions being the weeks of victories over New England and Pittsburgh.

Those games were on Monday night.
    http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3381

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: TO REST OR NOT TO REST:... Dungy changing his tune ?

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's beat the Jaguars and then worry about that, since we would finally have reason to do so then.
    Now there is a unique idea...
    Next two weeks toughest games of the season.

Why Not Us ?

FWIW - Uncle Reggie was on the Dan Patrick show yesterday, and he said he was praying for his Colts to lose a game or two so they would rest the starters during the last couple of games......

No offense to Reggie, but he doesn't know jack about Football. now if this were baseball, I might take his opinion because his bro played baseball.

Play it through and see what happens. This is history ladies and gentlemen in the fact the Colts will have played perfect for the longest season in the NFL.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Explain, as I'm utterly confused.
    I'd guess he means the Broncos game last year. The Colts had locked up their playoff position then, and we sent out most of the starters for just one series.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    FWIW - Uncle Reggie was on the Dan Patrick show yesterday, and he said he was praying for his Colts to lose a game or two so they would rest the starters during the last couple of games......

this is one prayer i hope does not get answered. aim for the best Reg. dang, so Michael Jordan should've just rested once they won 60 games?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Resting your starters and then having a bye week is great way to look like a different (worse) team during the playoffs. Its amazing how quickly a football team gets rusty - even faster than a 1970s era Chevy.

Of course, losing a key player to injury in a meaningless game gets you to the same place.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you