Thread: What's up with Ron's Free Throw Shooting?

Default What's up with Ron's Free Throw Shooting?

He's 1-4 so far. He's historically been decent, at worst, but this year he's just leaving a lot of points at the line. His other shooting has been fine, it's just the free throws.

Is he just not used to shooting from the line? I'm expecting this to get better, but then I also expected he'd be up to speed by now.

Anybody got a good explanation?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: What's up with Ron's Free Throw Shooting?

I hate to use this word but I think it is accurate:
    It's a 'mental' thing. He's just psyched himself out at the line.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate to use this word but I think it is accurate:
    It's a 'mental' thing. He's just psyched himself out at the line.

-Bball
    I agree. It's sort of like going up in front of a class to give a speech or dance or whatever. Everyone's focusing on only you and if you think about it too much your're bound to mess up.

Mood

maybe from bulking up... but it hasn't affected his 3s or jump shots so i don't know. maybe he just needs to find his rhythm again from the line. like what RIP does, and most other players. it's all about finding the rhythm and sticking with it.

Ronnie will figure it out.

I haven't bought into the idea that Reggie's absence is the reason for every problem we've faced this season, but it could be that not having Reggie around to talk to guys about free throw shooting has been a factor. Over the past few years I noticed Reggie sometimes made it a point to briefly chat with guys who were going to the line. Free throw shooting is more confidence and focus than anything else. Players have to learn how to do the same thing at the line each and every time. Uncertainty at the line is a recipe for disaster.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm not so sure it's primarily mental.

His body changed a bit during his suspension, which would definitley change his mechanics and his touch for something so intuitive. A new body requires all new training to rework how to get the ball in the hole.

I'm also not entirely convinced that he practiced at the line all that much during his time off (especially if game performance is an indicator).
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

I don't know about you all....but my performance is ALWAYS exceptional......did i go too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    A new body requires all new training to rework how to get the ball in the hole.
    Well, his new body hasn't hurt his outside shot. Missing easy free throws when unguarded is more mental than physical, I'd still argue. Ron will figure this one out; It's costing him at least a point a game average.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    Well, his new body hasn't hurt his outside shot. Missing easy free throws when unguarded is more mental than physical, I'd still argue. Ron will figure this one out; It's costing him at least a point a game average.
    I'm betting he practiced his outside shot more than his free throws.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Maybe we could all chip in and get him a SmartBall for Christmas.......

http://www.thesmartball.com/ProdDetl.aspx?ID=2&SecID=25

This is probably worth bumping. Ron's 1-4 so far tonight.

Enjoy your time at PD!

he finished 5-7 last night which is better. as a team they were 13-19.