Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Benders career may be over....

Default Benders career may be over....

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    Indiana Pacers forward Jonathan Bender is awaiting word on MRI results that could determine whether he'll be able to continue his NBA career.
    Bender, the fifth pick in the 1999 draft, has a loss of cartilage in both knees and has missed a significant number of games in each season since 2001-02.

He has played in just two games this season for a total of 21 minutes, and for the first time has not accompanied the team on a trip.
    "We're going to see," Bender said when asked whether he thinks he will play again.
    "I'm not going to even talk about that yet."
    Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Tuesday that the results of Bender's latest MRIs have been sent to his agent in Los Angeles, and that a meeting with Bender and doctors is scheduled for next week. Bender's agent, Thaddeus Fucher, did not return phone calls Tuesday.
    "Right now, we're putting his tests in front of people to get opinions on where they think he is," Walsh said. "When we have enough information, we'll make a statement."
    Bender said he remains optimistic, but he has little medical evidence on which to base that hope.
    "That's just the way I am," he said.
    "I'll see what the MRI shows compared to last year."
    Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal expressed sympathy when asked whether Bender might have to retire.
    "That's up to him to talk about," O'Neal said Tuesday in Salt Lake City, where the Pacers played the Utah Jazz. "Whatever his decision is, I wish the best for him.
    "He's talked to his teammates to let us know what's going on. It's a hard thing and my heart goes out to him because he's worked so hard and he's not getting that opportunity."
    Bender said he has dealt with painful and swelling knees since high school, and has had to take anti-inflammatory medication. After playing 78 games in the 2001-02 season, he played in just 46, 21 and seven games in the three succeeding seasons.
    "It's been happening over and over," Bender said.
    "It looks like it's catching up with me."
    Bender said his injuries aren't frustrating.
    "God moves in mysterious ways," he said.
    Bender has two seasons, including this one, remaining on a four-year, $28 million contract. He is due $7,175,000 this season and $7.7 million next season. Insurance would cover his salary if he's forced into retirement by injury.
    Bender -- a 7-footer with a 39-inch vertical jump and an accurate perimeter shot -- has shown flashes of potential.
    But his constant absences have made him a target of frustrated fans.
    "I know it's a hard time for him," O'Neal said. "He has so much ability and people from the outside are hard on him because he hasn't played. He hasn't (not) played because he doesn't want to play. He hasn't played because he physically can't play."Anybody who has seen J.B. play knows what type of player he is. He has unbelievable ability and it's just unfortunate that it's an issue that was given to him from a higher level."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...94/1004/SPORTS

I thought I would go ahead & highlight that part before somebody else did. All I will say about it is this. Let's hope that whatever happens is in the best interest of Jon & the Pacers.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Benders career may be over....

This was the first thing I saw when I was able to log onto the new board.

Great to be back & great to get some good news too.

Hopefully we can save some serious money. That coupled with Pollard, Gills, and Reggies contracts coming off the Books. Is a good situation

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully we can save some serious money. That coupled with Pollard, Gills, and Reggies contracts coming off the Books. Is a good situation

I saw this on the Star before I came here. Even though this doesn't surprise me it was shocking to read the headline.

To bad for Bender, I wish him well!

As for saving money it depends, this is from Larry Coon's FAQ on the CBA.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#58

53. How do retired players count against the cap?

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired. For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Teams are not allowed to trade for disabled players and then apply for this salary cap relief. Only the team for which the player was playing when he was disabled may request this relief.

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.
    -------------

What I've bolded means if Bender retires before the end of the year (without playing any more games) the Pacers will probably get to strike his salary from counting against the cap this year since his injury is more than a year old. (He played in 7 games last year, and 2 this year)

He was due $7,100,000 this year and $7,810,000 next year.

Yeah but just the fact that he is meeting with Execs means he is going to be negotiating a buy out.

That's too bad for Jon. He's a good guy...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

More on the possible ramifications.

Hoopshype has the Pacers with salaries of $79,324,205 this year. That doesn't include Samaki Walker. This is Walker's 10th season, and he is probably making the minimum so his salary for a 10 year vet would be $1,138,500. If Walker plays for the Pacers beyond JAN. 10, he will be due his full salary. If he is cut before that time his salary won't count against the luxury tax. So we have two possible figures for the Pacers, $79,324,205 without Walker, and $80,462,705 if we keep him.

The Luxury tax starts at $61,700,000. Anything over that amount and the Pacers have to pay a dollar for dollar tax.

There's adjustments though. Reggie Miller's salary of $6,100,000 doesn't count. So right now the Pacers are due to pay a tax of either, $11,524,205 without Walker, or $12,662,705 with him.

If they can lop off Benders salary they would still be above the luxury tax threshold, but the hit wouldn't be as severe, $4,424,205 without Walker, or $5,562,705 with him.

I doubt Samaki makes it past Mid December. Once Fiesty is ready for 25+ minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    Yeah but just the fact that he is meeting with Execs means he is going to be negotiating a buy out.
    If he retires because of a medical condition insurance will pay his salary so there would be no need for the Pacers to buy him out.

While this maybe frustrating for Jon and the Pacers all I can say is thank goodness. Really all anyone wanted on this was some type of resolution I think.

Maybe it's my imagination but it seems some of the questions or discussions we have in the Digest or Star forums seem to be answered/commented on earlier than years past?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe Jon can buy Marsh Foodliners and make commercials with Larry and Peyton.

(EDIT) IF JB leaves, I wonder who our next whipping boy will be??? I nominate Freddie Jones...prolly a very nice kid. I just see zero contribution on his part.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

pacerlife

Wink Re: Benders career may be over....

Do you think they will retire his number??

With this happening it does seem Jon is exhibit B on why many teams may have passed on Danny Granger and taking a chance on his injury.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Wait a minute, where are all the Bender jokes, where are the comments about Bender being physically able to play but either just not wanting to or just not being tough enough to get out there.

Well I guess there was one joke.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Wait a minute, where are all the Bender jokes, where are the comments about Bender being physically able to play but either just not wanting to or just not being tough enough to get out there.

Ahem..."Maybe Jon can buy Marsh Foodliners and make commercials with Larry and Peyton."

Ok, so it ain't all that great, but dernit, it's early in the AM.

BTW, when I read the article this AM I noted JO's tone (and others)...it sounds like they are talking in the past tense as if it were a done deal that JB is gone.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

One more observation on the Pacers and the Luxury tax.

Since all teams now share equally in the luxury tax proceeds the Pacers should get some money back.

I did a rough and quick calculation of how much teams over the tax would have to pay, then divided the result by 30. I had each team getting back $5.4 million.

It appears if the Pacers lose Jon to medical they could get back just about what they pay in, that is if they keep Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

UB, because we have finally received an answer to what's going on. The joke has been on the fans for a long time don't you think?

On a side note....Please don't let Jon's Doctor treat me or read my MRI films. Kind of like going to the Drs. office for tests and being told come back in two years for the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    If they can lop off Benders salary they would still be above the luxury tax threshold, but the hit wouldn't be as severe, $4,424,205 without Walker, or $5,562,705 with him.
    If you read the new cba language cited by D4G, you will see that there is now a one year waiting period before his salary won't count against the luxury tax {it used to be two years}.

To me that means it is a lock that Jon's salary will count in the luxury tax totals this year. Next year, however, would be a different story.

I also think it is a lock we will keep Samaki Walker, if we can't replace him with someone better.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    If you read the new cba language cited by D4G, you will see that there is now a one year waiting period before his salary won't count against the luxury tax {it used to be two years}.

To me that means it is a lock that Jon's salary will count in the luxury tax totals this year. Next year, however, would be a different story.

Coon says, "There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief."

Bender has been injured for more than a year. I read a discussion about this somewhere and it was said in Benders case if he doesn't play in a given number of games (12?) the Pacers could apply right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Bender has been injured for more than a year. I read a discussion about this somewhere and it was said in Benders case if he doesn't play in a given number of games (12?) the Pacers could apply right away.
    I hope that is correct as that will take a lot of pressure off Walsh and Bird to do something about the luxury tax this year. But I'm not convinced it's true.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. The details will eventually come out.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    With this happening it does seem Jon is exhibit B on why many teams may have passed on Danny Granger and taking a chance on his injury.
    Why is that?

Bender never had a knee surgery or anything before he was drafted that I was aware of. He played 3 years without any problems. Then without blowing out his knee, or hurting himself on the court he suddenly had problems.

That's not even remotely close to what happened with Granger.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Let's hope that whatever happens is in the best interest of Jon & the Pacers.
    Well said.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

I think the fact that they sent his X-Rays to his agent clearly shows he is about to go.

Good riddance.