Thread: Thoughts on remaining Big Men to trade for?

Sports Logo

Default Thoughts on remaining Big Men to trade for?

Despite Foster returning......I stil think that we should try to upgrade the backup Center in the frontcourt......especially in light of the lingering health issues of all 3 of our Centers.

IMHO...we still need a guy that can be effective ( who can rebound and block shots ) on the floor without having the balls in his hands. All of our Centers now are capable of doing that......the only problem is that they are often injured in some way and therefore not as productive as they could be to the team.

To me....the best Center / PF / Big Man that we should trade for should do something similiar to what Foster is able to provide:

- hustle
    - sufficient defense against Big Men
    - rebounding
    - ( hopefully ) some additional shotblocking
    - relatively healthy
    - good locker-room guy ( that immediately excludes Fortson )

Although scoring is always a plus....I don't think we need another scorer on the team ( and therefore not a requirement ).

Going through the rosters of the NBA....the only players that I feel that we can possibly get this season before the trade deadline are:

- PJ Brown ( PF/C - Hornets )
    Easily the best player that we should get that would fill the "Dale Davis" role that we lost last year. He's a player that can backup both PF/C positions, provide veteran leadership, doesn't complain, provides consistent play, some shotblocking, solid rebounding and some decent scoring for a Big Man. The only problem is that its unclear whether the Hornets would want to part with him as he is their only Big Man left next to David West.
    - Kelvin Cato or Tony Battie ( PF/C - Magic )
    Both are players are the type of rebounding/shotblocking type players that I wouldn't mind having. But same problem here.....I don't konw what the Magic would want or if they would want to part with what makes up a acceptable but solid Center rotation.
    - Theo Ratlif ( PF/C - Blazers )
    Outside of Ben Wallace....in his younger years.....Ratliff is exactly what we would need.....an above average defender that can rebound and blockshots like crazy. The problem with him is that he has a huge contract over the next 2 years and does have a tendency to get injured.

Pollard ( despite being the Center that we pull out when we play Shaq ) along with his expiring contract....is the most logical Big Man to ship out alongside any combination of Freddie, AJ and Gill. I'm trying to figure out what backup Center / PF ( if possible ) that the Pacers can reasonably get based off of who I feel that we can trade by this years deadline. I know we would have to give up the only player that we can that can defend Shaq.....but when trading Big Men...you usually have to give up one in return. Also....I know its not desireable....but I think that if we were to go to the Magic or Hornets and offer any 2 combinations of the players above and include our 1st round draft pick for the next season.......we may have a good chance of getting Brown, Cato or Battie.

If you can come up with any other Center/PF that you think we can reasonably get....then let me know. We're essentially looking at upgrading Pollard who is a solid...but injury prone Backup Center.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on remaining Big Men to trade for?

IMO, Ratliff is the least-intimidating shot-blocker in the NBA. The only reason Ratliff gets such high praise is because there's no individual stat for goaltends.

He's a heck of a leaper, but (A) he's a poor rebounder and (B) He goaltends nearly as much as he blocks.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Agree. Ratliff definitely isn't what the Pacers need. The only person he mentioned that might be nice is PJ Brown.

Problem is, as long at the hornets keep winning, they'll hold on to PJ.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Sports Logo

Ratliff isn't all too bad...but I do see your point...and considering that his contract is huge and he has a tendency to get injured....he may not be the best choice.

Did I miss anyone else? I can't really think of any decent Center that could probably play some PF minutes that would be an upgrade over Pollard.

Don't get me wrong....but if Pollard wasn't injured in some way...then I wouldn't suggest upgrading him....but we are lacking alot of frontcourt help next to JONeal and Croshere now and I really think that we need to figure out some way to address that.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I would love to have P.J. Brown on this team. I think he would give us a veteran presence that we need to get this team in check.

I think that a trade for P.J. would require Pollard plus a filler and maybe a pick. I think that it is likely P.J. will be dealt to get into a better situation so I can't see New Orleans asking for to much.

Here are a couple other names to conside:

- Mark Blount: A solid veteran center. I feel like he defentily should do more rebounding but I think he can give us some post defense and a little scoring. I believe he is pretty avaliable too. The only problem is he is signed through 09/10 and do the Pacers really want to commit that long to Mark Blount?

- Melvin Ely: Not exactly a league veteran but has been around for a few years. Would give us a nice athletic body on defense in the post, something we don't really have aside from Jermaine.

- Brian Skinner: Another good athletic defender down low who may be avaliable. Nice contract as he is signed until 06/07 with a team opition in 07/08.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I believe that Cato and Battie are both expiring contracts so you ain't gonna pry them loose for pocket change. You'll have to give them something worth making them blink over.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Naptown Seth

Chris Mihm is a very underrated center. Wouldn't mind seeing us try and make a push for him.

Dikembe Mutombo is still arguably the best defensive center in the league, and a nice rebounder with great experience. I think he could come cheap.

Lorenzen Wright is another underrated center with some talents. He's a fine scorer, solid shot blocker and rebounder. His contract is expiring which makes him a bit harder to obtain.

Dan Gadzuric, a great rebounder and shot blocker who plays both front court positions. I doubt Milwaukee would be too keen on trading him off to a decision rival though, especially with how disappoing Jamaal "I Told You He Was Massively Overrated Back When You Were All Still Calling Him An All-Star Center" Magloire has been thus far thus year.

Rasho Nesterovic isn't that bad is.....nevermind.

Then there's still a few overpaid players who could go for far lesser talent due to their contracts, guys like Carlos Boozer, Erick Dampier etc.

Sports Logo

Okay....so the running tally so far ( just a list...regardless of their pros/cons ) is:

PJ Brown
    Ely
    Cato
    Battie
    Blount
    Skinner
    Mihm
    Mutombo
    Wright
    Dampier
    Gadzuric
    Boozer

Looking at who we will likely have to part with....I'm thinking that we would have to package Pollard ( cuz he's an acceptable Big Man going out and his expiring contract ) and Freddie ( cuz he's a young defensive minded backup SG ). I still think that if we want a decent player in return ( possibly 2 ) that we would have to include our 1st round draft pick.

sweabs

Reggie Evans.

Joel Pryzibilla from portland is the center I want to trade for..

but no way we can gat him cheap....

David Harrison
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David Harrison
    Do you like David Harrison?

I just want foster back, Tins to be happy and a 20 Game Win streak

that will be a good regular season...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Yeah, I hear he's a pretty good banger inside, and a very nice young talent, but the Pacers would never part with him...... so I guess there's no point in wanting him on the team. -sigh-
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo

He's not the greatest option...but anyone have any thoughts on Francisco Elson? Despite being the guy that took out JONeal last season.....he seems like one of those players that "bang around inside the paint" type of players that would complement JONeal, Foster and Hulk. Since its unlikely that we would be able to get a starting quality Center that is better then Foster.....the best we can settle for is a Center/PF that can complement a decent Frontline of JONeal/Foster/Hulk.

Despite his salary, I'd take Blount from Boston if they'd throw in Pierce.

They OWE us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Although I am not sure at this point if we really do need another Big Man It's still too early to tell....

For the sake of discussion if you are willing to take on 30 year old Blount's 5 year 33 million contract

Why not
    Etan Thomas 5 years 30 million (At 27 3 years younger than Blount)

A guy who is only playing 14 minutes a game.
    Aggresive on the Boards and blocking , changing shots.
    Put ups comparable numbers to Blount when he actually gets significant playing time.. Better rebounder and enforcer than Blount but really does not have near the offensive game, but then again is that really what we need in a big Man ?

Just throwing that out there...Although I don't think the Pacers would wan't to take on any Big Man's salary right now..

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo

Etan Thomas ain't bad....but I don't think that the Wizards would want anything that we have that we can offer.

Our best pieces to trade with are Pollard ( cuz of his expiring contract ) and Freddie ( cuz of his defense and potential as a solid backup SG ) are players that the Wizards don't have any need for.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    For the sake of discussion if you are willing to take on 30 year old Blount's 5 year 33 million contract

Why not Etan Thomas 5 years 30 million (At 27 3 years younger than Blount)
    Because I'd only take Blount if we get Pierce as well. Can't say I'd be as willing to do the deal if we took back Caron Butler.

As CableKC says, the Wizz just aren't a natural trading partner for us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Naptown Seth

I've been singing Etan Thomas' praises for a while now. He's really a rock solid big man, whose only been held back by lingering injuries. If he could stay healthy, and so far this year he has, he and Foster would make an awesome duo to compliment J.O.
    As for what it would take to land him, I don't know. I do know he's only playing 14.1 minutes per game this year, so it's not like he's a major player for the Wizards. Wizards have anothger really nice young(er) center in Brendan Haywood, but he'd be much harder to get. But then again, Washington's been prone to practically giving away talented big men in the past (Webber, Sheed, Howard, Big Ben etc.) so who knows?

Sports Logo

Do we want a Center / PF that can play ahead of Foster / Hulk?

or

Do we want a Center / PF that can play behind or next to the Hulk?

If we want Foster and Hulk to get the bulk of the minutes ( or at least as many minutes as the Hulk ), then I think a player like Blount....although solid as a 2nd PF option...is too expensive.

The only exception would be someone like Brown that should start ahead of Foster....but only get a slight edge in minutes over him.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Tim

Why can't we give David and Scot more time?

If Scot isn't in our long term plans then play Harrison a little more.

I think talking about trades for bigmen at this point is the last thing LB/DW are interested in, but for the sake of throwin' out a few other bigmen in the league...

Brian Grant-- Good role player/rebounder.
    Brendan Haywood-- A big body, limited skills.
    Kwame Brown-- Kiss of death w/ small hands, worthless player.
    Johan Petro-- Good up and comer, check him out on Sunday.
    Vlad Radmonovich-- Wants out, great swingman def. knows how to play.
    Mehmet Okur-- Probably overpaid, but you always overpay for size.