Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawks to open up Harrington talks

Default Hawks to open up Harrington talks

August 18, 2006

Hawks to open up Harrington talks

Star report
    In yet another twist in the ever-turning saga surrounding Al Harrington, the Atlanta Hawks expect to start negotiating possible sign-and-trade deals with other teams.

“At this point we don’t have a deal with the Indiana Pacers or any other team,” Hawks president Bernard Mullin said earlier today.
    The Pacers and Hawks have discussed several deals for Harrington. At issue is the length of Harrington's new contract.

The Pacers had offered their $7.5 million trade exception and a future first-round draft pick for Harrington and center John Edwards.

Read tomorrow's Indianapolis Star for more details about this story.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/60818029

Sorry if already posted.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hawks to open up Harrington talks

This is getting comical.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

At issue is the length of Harrington's new contract.
    Isn't that what T-Bird was saying?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't that what T-Bird was saying?
    That can't be it, Al agreed to his terms a long time ago. The problem has been between the PAcers and Atlanta, not Al.

Why don't the PAcers show some backbone and just admit they don't want to pay the cost Atlanta is charging. I bet its that 2007 pick and not Al's salary.

Its too bad Al has to wait this long, sounds like he really did want to come home.

Length of contract would be between the Pacers and Al, Atlanta wouldn't care. My guess is the Simon's didn't want Al for six years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damn it. Now what did that guy on channel 13 say we could do to him if Al didn't end up a Pacer?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Jer_Freak

I don't think we're getting Al anymore it's time to move on.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

I just hope someone else signs him really soon so that we all can get used to the idea of the lottery. I for one am not looking forward to the season for the first time since I have been a Pacers fan.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Whoever we get with the draft pick we would have sent to Atlanta would likely be as good as Al at some point, and possibly better. And wouldn't cost 10 million to start, either.

I'm not opposed to getting Al, but it's not the end of the world either.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Yeah, we're not getting Al. We'll just have to get over it. Although I believe not getting him will cause more bad than good.

Feels good being able to be on here again.

With that all said, with the team the way it is now, and basically no one else of Al's talent on the market, looks like the team we have now will be the team that opens up training camp. I believe that team is not very good, either.

The team we have now, with the usual 7,000 injuries will be lucky to win more than 40 games, and I'm being nice. JMO, though.

I think Al is pissed we weren't willing to pay for him.

Default Harrington deal to Pacers dies

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...arrington.html
    Harrington deal to Pacers dies

By SEKOU SMITH
    The Atlanta Journal-ConstitutionSubhead goes right here
    Published on: 08/18/06
    The Hawks' proposed sign-and-trade deal with the Indiana Pacers involving Al Harrington is dead, the free-agent forward told the Journal-Constitution Friday.

That could open the door for the Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves, all teams that have been in the mix from the start to land the highest-profile player left on the free-agent market.

"The Indiana deal is something that I wanted to do, but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen," said Harrington, an urestricted free agent. "There comes a time when you have to move on and find a place where you are wanted."

more to come

Jer_Freak

I hope that dude on Ch.13 gets fired

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

So we are really stuck holding the cards. We have a useless trade exception, a team full of really young small forwards and no second option. We are not going to be bad enough to be in the Oden hunt but not good enough to compete for a playoff spot. Also, we don't have a lot of young promissing players that give us hope for the future. It would be better to be a Hawks fan now. Well, I guess the return to the 1980's Pacers had to happen at some point. Everything comes full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    So we are really stuck holding the cards. We have a useless trade exception, a team full of really young small forwards and no second option. We are not going to be bad enough to be in the Oden hunt but not good enough to compete for a playoff spot. Also, we don't have a lot of young promissing players that give us hope for the future. It would be better to be a Hawks fan now. Well, I guess the return to the 1980's Pacers had to happen at some point. Everything comes full circle.
    I hope your wrong.

At this point I'd rather be lottery bound than first round fodder.

It's been a devastating pipe dream.

Default Re: Harrington deal to Pacers dies

I must say I am surprised. Al would have been a good addition and would have helped chemistry. The fans would have liked the move. I can only guess he was not worth the $.

Exactly what I was thinking, I hoped I never had to see what the older fans had to...looks like it's coming in 3 months....

This really sucks.

Granted not all the pain from the 80's will just reappear at the start of the season, but it isn't going to be pretty with the roster we have now.

you forgot to add that the world ends next year.

Oh and that the sky is falling

If anybody tought that Al would be the answer to everything and then some, sorry, but there are some here who have been less then luke warm about Al coming, not seeing how he would fit in to begin with, except being a friend of JO.

IF he is indeed not coming then we do not lose that much, it is ATL and Al who are losing, ATL now has to take on contraccts, on which all partners have to sign off ( ) and will not improve with that, Al is again going somewhere with even less influence on where he's going, unless he decides to sign for the MLE, but then again "the P's didn't want him bad enough".
    Seems to me he still has the grandeur he had when he left here, did anyone consider that the Simons' might have been hesitant to OK the deal because he already had a history here of making a trade demand, that maybe they do not like it when someone does what Al did?

I guess now the value of the TE will really be explored.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

So at the end of the day - we screwed this up. Let's call it what it is - we blew it because DW thinks he is smarter than everyone else. He thought we were the only option. We clearly aren't.

And now Al even feels like he is not wanted! Is that Billy King's fault or TPTB?

This team is the most unlikeable bunch and now - as the person you all hate wrote a month ago - we are lotto bound.

And a word about the lottery - just because Cleveland got lucky and got LBJ, does NOT mean we will get Oden. They were the worst team and still only had something like a 20% chance of landing him. WSe will not be THAT bad to get that many ping pong balls... but bad enough to miss the playoffs.

I am so fed up with TPTB - I have no faith that they have a plan at all.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    you forgot to add that the world ends next year.

Oh and that the sky is falling
    Good, I was beginning to think I was the only one that didn't feel like this was all THAT bad.

Donnie said there are backup plans for the TE if this didn't work, I'm very interested to see what they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216 View Post
    Good, I was beginning to think I was the only one that didn't feel like this was all THAT bad.

Donnie said there are backup plans for the TE if this didn't work, I'm very interested to see what they may be.
    Erick Strickland!

(I kid.)

In all of my years watching sports, I cannot remember any pending trade being so magnified, and so positive that it was going to happen, and then it doesn't happen......this has been a strange summer!!! I'm sure it happens all the time behind closed doors, but why did this get so public?

This just in! The deal is 99% done! Woo-woo!

That's too bad. With the Knicks being a blasted wasteland, I was really looking forward to next January once people started to realize that Harrington isn't a good fit for this team.

Sometimes the best move is the one you don't make.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire