Thread: Anybody else heard about this crap?

Angry Anybody else heard about this crap?

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127439

It's also being discussed on the Colts.com message board.

Obviously this is just a rumor!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Default Re: Anybody else heard about this crap?

Unless they consider 50+000 screaming fans to be artificial fans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, we sure do.

What morons.

Fans that are crying about that, should take their loss and MOVE ON.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's obvious ESPN is lying. The crowd noise was too loud to hear any fake crowd noise. Idiots.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

ESPN 950 touched on it.. Someone's arse is going down for this.

The Colts Front Office once they have fully reviewed the transcript of the Show ... They are going to release a statement tomorrow .. of course stating that this is a bunch of ....

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They definitley do have this in Milwaukee for the Bucks. Definitley.

I thought it was fairly well-known that the Colts did this?

Or maybe that was just back when they were bad.

IndyToad
    Not some slick big-city lawyer

Mood

EXCUSES! wow it's just simple common sense. with or without electronic amplification anything would sound louder in closed space. they can take away PA systems in domes and open fields and the results would be the same. that's why concerts sound better in closed space.

Well, I'd venture a guess this (crowd mics) has to do with the high definition televison broadcast that MNF uses.

Part of HD is the sound which is at minimum DD2.0 but can easily be DD5.1 (which I believe MNF is... if you have the equip to receive and decode the digital broadcast).

Dolby Digital 5.1 (DD5.1) is 3 front speakers (all separate), 2 rear speakers (again separate), and the .1 is the sub.

While ABC audio people could pump anything they want into those individual speakers, it seems rather obvious they'd want the crowd (and natural audio) to be the 'surround' sound. And they'd need mics for that. The more mics the better to capture a realistic ambience for the DD5.1 experience at home. Whether they'd bother to accurately capture the dome crowd, front to rear, or just randomly pipe in the audio to fill out the atmosphere at home, I don't know.

As for the dome micing and refeeding the sound into their rather insufficient house system... Uhhhhh... they wouldn't need to be nearly so obvious as what has been mentioned about these 'mystery mics'. And you'd only need one. Feed it mono into the system. It's not like stereo, or surround, or anything else is going to matter in the dome since it would be picking up and then supplementing existing crowd noise (and there'd be thousand of reflections anyway).

So while I can't say the dome doesn't regurgitate crowd noise, anyone who saw these mics and thinks THESE were for that is likely missing the boat. Or somebody way OVERSOLD Irsay on what was needed to feed the crowd noise back into the system..

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is so stupid. They can't disparage the record anymore ("They haven't beat anyone good") so someone came up with this stupid rumor.

Here's a thought - domes are louder than open stadiums... especially when they are filled to capacity and the fans are screaming their lungs out!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well unless the noise acted as a 12th blocker, how do they explain Edge running their @sses over?
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is from the Colts board:

ESPN starts ruckus over Dome noise
    Colts strongly deny radio report that team unfairly adds to clamor
    By Mike Chappell
    mike.chappell@indystar.com
    December 1, 2005

How loud was the RCA Dome for Monday night's Steelers-Colts showdown? The noise still was reverberating two days later.
    A hot topic on ESPN Radio's "The Dan Patrick Show'' Wednesday afternoon focused on the Colts allegedly enhancing the clamor in the Dome by piping in noise. The observation was made by ESPN reporter Ed Werder, who watched the Colts' 26-7 victory from the press box and shared his opinion on a Dallas radio show the following day.
    The Colts were quick to refute the claim, which, if true, could be in violation of NFL rules. An NFL spokesman, Steve Alic, said the league is not investigating whether the Colts are illegally pumping up the volume.
    In a written statement, the Colts categorically denied they "somehow 'piped in' or otherwise artificially enhanced the crowd noise'' during the Steelers game or at any other time.
    "We are doing nothing wrong,'' senior executive vice president Pete Ward told The Star. "We've got the loudest stadium in the league, with the fans naturally providing that sound.''
    Coach Tony Dungy called the accusations "an insult to our crowd. Our fans have been great. We don't need to pipe in noise.''
    When reached Wednesday evening, Werder made the distinction that he hadn't "reported'' the noise issue but offered a "casual opinion on a radio show. I think there's a difference.''
    Werder said Wednesday that the Colts play heavy bass noise through the RCA Dome public-address system to supplement the crowd noise, apparently in an attempt at disrupting the opposing quarterback's ability to communicate with the sideline and his teammates in the huddle.
    On the Dallas radio show, Werder said he "mentioned that the Colts have won 10 straight games at home and that in addition to being fabulously talented, they also have the advantage that they create by playing this supplemental noise in addition to the actual crowd noise.''
    Supplemental noise is permitted until the offense breaks the huddle. Teams can be disciplined for violating the league's policy on club-controlled stadium sound. In 2000, the Washington Redskins were fined $20,000 for using their PA system for cheerleading during a victory over Dungy's Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    Also, the home team is subject to a penalty if the officiating crew determines the crowd noise makes it impossible for the quarterback to adequately run his offense. If the crowd ignores warnings from the officials, the home team could lose a timeout or be assessed a 5-yard penalty.
    At no time in Monday's game did Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger seek noise-control assistance from the officials.
    Werder was surprised his comments stirred such a controversy.
    "I just thought it was an innocent conversation on the radio, although obviously, there isn't any such thing,'' he said.
    I had no idea that there was so such penalty.

http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=3712&page=2

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I heard about it this morning on Bob and Tom. I couldn't imagine the outrage if the official addressed the crowd mid-game and told them to silence themselves while Tom Brady is leading his Offense.

Yet somehow, I cannot convince myself that it couldn't happen.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    This is from the Colts board:

I had no idea that there was so such penalty.

http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=3712&page=2
    Me eather Sounds kinda silly if you ask me. Makes ya wonder why it's not enforced!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pacercoltfan
    Me eather Sounds kinda silly if you ask me. Makes ya wonder why it's not enforced!
    A few seasons back it would be enforced. The QB would turn to the zebras before the playclock expired and signal the crowd was too loud.

They would make an announcement for the crowd to quiet and I believe mention the potential penalties. You'd see the home team actually signalling for the crowd to quiet down (I think that pretty much satisfied the refs and I don't recall ever seeing a penalty given).

But I've not seen that in recent years. I kinda assumed the rule had went away. Maybe coaches decided it was a bad idea to stop play... a sign of weakness? Or maybe teams just worked on their silent snap counts, etc.

Dunno...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Most of the Steelers fans that were there seem to agree that no fake noise was being piped in.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/vi...er=asc&start=0