Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Croshere should continue to start even when Foster is healthy

Default Croshere should continue to start even when Foster is healthy

Yes I said it, and no I'm serious. Only exception is when the Pacers play Shaq, I would be in favor of starting Pollard.

The question of Foster vs Croshere comes down to this. Foster plays equally well whether he starts or comes off the bench. Croshere plays a lot better as a starter. That is a flaw in Croshere's game and perhaps he should not be rewarded for it, but I think the team would be better with Croshere starting. Not because the team is really better with Cro in there, but because Cro will fall back almost out of the rotation if he doesn't start, and there are times we need Croshere's offense at the power forward position.

As far as who finishes, it depends on the matchups and depends on the score in the last 5 minutes. If the Pacers are behind by more than 5 points, and the matchups are not terrible, then I would be in favor of Croshere finishing, if Pacers trail by less than 5 or lead then Foster should finish

Of course this end of game scenerio does not take into account the very end when the other team is fouling, in that case Cro should finish, but teams generally don't start fouling until the last 40 seconds.

Croshere it is up to you to keep up your excellent play.

I think the more difficult question is whose minutes get cut when Foster does come back. Certainly Cro's will be cut even if he starts, but that is only about 10-15 minutes and we know Jeff will play more than that.

The additional 10-15 minutes that Jeff will take away from someone other than Croshere has to either come from Harrison or Granger (or I suppose it could come from Fred as Ron could play more backup shooting guard, but I think this is highly unlikely knowing Carlisle) Whose minutes should be cut, DG and DH or maybe both. I suppose J.O could play a few less minutes but that is not likely.

Default Re: Croshere should continue to start even when Foster is healthy

Where did Unclebuck go and why are you using his name?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did Unclebuck go and why are you using his name?
    I'll be looking for a "Granger should start at small forward" thread from him next.......

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I'll be looking for a "Granger should start at small forward" thread from him next.......

I can foresee the day when Granger plays small forward and Ron plays shooting guard for stretches of games.

Something to think about, UB, but I like putting the best defensive team on the floor at the start of the game. I'd imagine that in any event Jeff will not start immediately when he comes back anyway. So, as you say, Cro will have a shot at keeping his starting position.

Don't tell Peck, but I actually agree with this to a degree.

One thing I've always said is that Foster is the ideal big man off the bench. I just haven't believed that the team could make it through a season with Croshere in the starting lineup. If he keeps playing like this (the hustle, not the stats), then I'm absolutely fine with it.

That said, if we see recurrances of Austin2001-Austin2004, then he shouldn't be a starter.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've still got a hard time believing Jeff is going to be the same player.

Two surgeries on the same hip...

He's already not very physical, if he's not very mobile either then he's not going to be very valuable.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless he proves to be physically unable to play like he used to, Foster should start. Have we all forgotten what tenacious rebounding will do for a team? Especially in dog-day December/January games? Artest and Foster in the starting lineup gives us an edge in hustle versus every team in the league - which proves to be huge over the course of a year.
    I'm loving Croshere's game this year, and he'll continue to get his minutes, but Feisty has earned his spot in the starting lineup. With the caveat that he has to be 100% healthy, I see no way Carlisle will bring Foster off the bench.
    Has everyone forgotten how well we played with Foster in the playoff lineup last year? He should have been starting that entire time - and we suffered because of the reluctance to play him early off his injury.

I'm a feisty-fluffer you could say.

Mood

Croshere usually doesn't get hurt. Foster may start now, but before the hip problem he was solid as well.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt

Of course, who on our team doesn't seem to have nagging injuries every year?
    I don't remember any injuries for Carlisle. I'd say the whole coaching staff has been fairly healthy.

I'm all for leaving Croshere in as starter altho I could see reducing his minutes somewhat as Foster returns. Even with Croshere not looking to score the other team still has to account for him on defense (because he is a threat to score). With Foster they can play us 5 on 4 when we have the ball. Foster ain't scorin'...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I totally agree with this post Buck. I like Croshere in the start line-up a lot, I just wish he could play SF and we bump Sjack out of the lineup.

This would be an insanely potent offensive/defensive lineup.

Tins/Ron/Cro/JO/Foster.

Everyone in that lineup is a solid rebounder, for a PG Tinsley is really good. Everyone can create offense besides Foster, but we don't need him for that.

But I know Cro seemingly can't play SF for whatever reasons, but damn that'd be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I've still got a hard time believing Jeff is going to be the same player.

Two surgeries on the same hip...
    I thought it was different hips?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

It was follow-up surgery on the same hip.

I would now like to thank:
    Jay
    Anthem
    and Hicks

for getting this song stuck in my head-

Hip hip
    Hip hip
    Hip hip
    Hip hip

When you’re on a holiday
    You can’t find the words to say
    All the things that come to you
    And I wanna feel it too

On an island in the sun
    We’ll be playing and having fun
    And it makes me feel so fine
    I can’t control my brain

Hip hip
    Hip hip

When you’re on a golden sea
    You don’t need no memory
    Just a place to call your own
    As we drift into the zone

On an island in the sun
    I can’t control my brain

We’ll run away together
    We’ll spend some time forever
    We’ll never feel bad anymore

Hip hip
    Hip hip
    Hip hip

On an island in the sun
    I can’t control my brain

We’ll run away together
    We’ll spend some time forever

Hip hip

No no
    No no
    No no
    No no
    -
    Weezer, Islands in the Sun

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

I don't know how to juggle the rotation....but I really liked it when Croshere and Sarunas were on the floor ( during the Cavs game )....maybe alongside Tinsley ( or SJax ), Artest and JONeal where they were left wide open in the perimeter.....they were fed the ball and they drained the open 3pt shot.

If Sarunas and Croshere are left as the 4th or 5th scoring option where they are fed the ball and they drain the open 3pt or jumpshot.......then whatever rotation or players that Croshere or Sarunas are paired up with ( Foster or not ), I would be happy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The main thing I would like to see this year is a more stable rotation by the All-Star game. Last year was crazy, and the start of this year it makes sense to try things out. We have some injuries and we want some newer guys to play. But I think this teams needs to play like a veteran title contender. And veteran title contenders play with rock solid rotations. In fact, I would like to see Rick submit all of his substitutions three days in advance to the scorekeeper, just like Bird used to do. And I would like to see an aweful lot of Harrison, Granger and Freddie now, because I don't think any of them should see more than garbage minutes after February.

I'm fine with 2005 Cro starting. He has never played better.

I would like to see Foster get 20 mins a game. If not for the need to find development time for David I would be content with a three man rotation of JO, Foster and Cro. I'd like to save Pollard's body for specific match ups and the play offs.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

This is the post I was writing the very moment that the forum went down. I saved it to email, thinking that my computer was going to lose the post. So this was me after the Clippers game:

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    Starting Foster, O'Neal & Artest is the best bet.

That leaves us with Harrison, Croshere & Granger as backups. To quote Eric Cartman, sweeeeeeeeeeeet
    I don't think so. Croshere is earning a starting job if you ask me. It's not like Foster is going to keep guys off of JO.

There's no need for legacy here. Foster earned his starts in 03/04 over Pollard and Croshere because he out-hustled and out-played them. I see no reason why Croshere shouldn't be given the same reward Foster was given, especially when his play seems even more remarkable than Fosters was then.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really starting to think that the Pacers move somone this year. There's too many players that deserve minutes based on their play, and not enough minutes a game.

I've really been surprised how many minutes Granger has been getting, and eventhough he's struggling with scoring he's a net plus with all his deflections/steals and rebounding. It would really be a shame to see him start seeing more bench and limiting his onfloor progress.

Harrison is still really raw, and just needs to play. He's actually starting to look comfortable in every aspect other than low post moves. (skaut nailed it in another thread)

Cro has been amazing, and you can't sit Ron or JO. Even Pollard has been productive, when he was actually playing.

Bender not coming back, or so it looks, kind of helps. But I'm guessing Fred and one forward gets moved. It's going to turn into a bigger logjam for minutes. I'm all for depth, but there is a thing as too much depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I'm fine with 2005 Cro starting. He has never played better.

I would like to see Foster get 20 mins a game. If not for the need to find development time for David I would be content with a three man rotation of JO, Foster and Cro. I'd like to save Pollard's body for specific match ups and the play offs.
    Cro has played well, and deserves to stay in the rotation, but Jeff is a much better defender, and rebounder. We need Jeff to start with J.O., it gives us a better defender against they type of players that have burned us this year like Webber, and Okafor. I'm still of the opinion that this is still a championship run this year for the Pacers. David hasn't proven that he can earn playing time while Foster is out, so I don't see him earning it when Foster returns. I think the vast majority of our 4/5 minutes need to go to J.O., Foster, and Cro. with Pollard, and Harrison picking up minutes in special cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This is the post I was writing the very moment that the forum went down. I saved it to email, thinking that my computer was going to lose the post. So this was me after the Clippers game:

I don't think so. Croshere is earning a starting job if you ask me. It's not like Foster is going to keep guys off of JO.

There's no need for legacy here. Foster earned his starts in 03/04 over Pollard and Croshere because he out-hustled and out-played them. I see no reason why Croshere shouldn't be given the same reward Foster was given, especially when his play seems even more remarkable than Fosters was then.
    I was thinking that if you start Croshere with O'Neal, Artest, Jackson & Tinsley, then what offense he brings will mean a lot less than if he were on the floor with what would be called, the "second unit".

He's earn a place is the rotation, no doubt about that. It just depends on what group is out there together that will determine his mpg.

I'm sorry I want Foster to start. Our rebounding sucks terribly, and that's more important to me than Cro's offense. His rebounding hasn't been bad, but Foster in my opinion is much better.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    I'm sorry I want Foster to start. Our rebounding sucks terribly, and that's more important to me than Cro's offense. His rebounding hasn't been bad, but Foster in my opinion is much better.
    I think what we have here is what happens when a 1 dimensional role player does what he does best. It creates a perception that sticks like glue no matter what the stats say in comparison.

It will be interesting to see what happens as Foster works his way back into game shape.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I think what we have here is what happens when a 1 dimensional role player does what he does best. It creates a perception that sticks like glue no matter what the stats say in comparison.

It will be interesting to see what happens as Foster works his way back into game shape.

-Bball
    The stats would imply that Foster is a much better rebounder than Cro....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    The stats would imply that Foster is a much better rebounder than Cro....
    Two whole rebounds a game for his career is now MUCH better?

BTW, stats would also imply that Croshere is much better at everything else than Jeff....