Thread: In defense of Ronnie

Default Re: In defense of Ronnie

True, I'd say maybe 2 of them were bad passes, the rest were what I'd call "**** happens" moments, that aren't going to happen constantly. Foot out of bounds, a bogus offensive foul, and a questionable O foul another time, a quick double dribble with a ref staring at him, etc.

Sports Logo

His composure was good but he had a pretty bad game. He needs to learn that he is not the point guard. Just because he can occasionally bring the ball over the time line does not mean he should try and initiate the offense. It got him benched earlier in the game that helped the sixers get out to that lead.

Then late in the game where we pretty much had to play a perfect game. He brought it down started to back away and that was good but then he went and threw the damn ball away anyway in an ill advised pass.

Ron is both one of my favorite players and the one I hate the most. Last night at times he was either or. Unfortunately he was the one I hate a little too often.

I do not blame him for the loss. It is not his fault that we got destroyed on the boards. He was not the cause of ALL of the turnover even though he was the cause of a lot of them. The entire team was out of sync last night.

Sarunas (anyone still think he will be starting or finishing games any time soon?) was totally out of whack last night. He clearly needs to learn how to play against a zone and he needs to stop picking up his dribble at the drop of a hat. I dont want him to become Travis Best mind you, I just dont want him to pick up his dribble just because someone comes over to guard him.

You know, I actually watched the game, and I didn't really notice the turnovers until they were mentioned. I actually thought we lost the game because of our lousy defense early in the game, especially on the interior and weakside help. Eight is a pretty big number though, so I am sure Ronnie definitely wasn't on top of his game last night.

I just think he his going to be a little rusty this first part of the year. He has been playing and practicing alot since his suspension, but nothing really compares with actual NBA games. As long as he keeps his emotions in check, then he will be fine. His game will come to him eventually.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His composure was good but he had a pretty bad game. He needs to learn that he is not the point guard. Just because he can occasionally bring the ball over the time line does not mean he should try and initiate the offense. It got him benched earlier in the game that helped the sixers get out to that lead.

Then late in the game where we pretty much had to play a perfect game. He brought it down started to back away and that was good but then he went and threw the damn ball away anyway in an ill advised pass.

Ron is both one of my favorite players and the one I hate the most. Last night at times he was either or. Unfortunately he was the one I hate a little too often.

I do not blame him for the loss. It is not his fault that we got destroyed on the boards. He was not the cause of ALL of the turnover even though he was the cause of a lot of them. The entire team was out of sync last night.

Sarunas (anyone still think he will be starting or finishing games any time soon?) was totally out of whack last night. He clearly needs to learn how to play against a zone and he needs to stop picking up his dribble at the drop of a hat. I dont want him to become Travis Best mind you, I just dont want him to pick up his dribble just because someone comes over to guard him.
    Interesting moment from last week: When I was watching the Orlando game with Jay, there was a moment at the end of the half where Ron had the ball over the time line and wouldn't give it to Catfish, who rightfully came over to get the ball. Ron was instead looking to the coaches on the bench to see what he should do.

So many questions popped up: What's he doing? Does Ron want to be the point guard? Why isn't he handing the ball over? Is he looking for a play call?

Jay said "If that were Tinsley next to him, he would have given him the ball."

Ouch.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Interesting moment from last week: When I was watching the Orlando game with Jay, there was a moment at the end of the half where Ron had the ball over the time line and wouldn't give it to Catfish, who rightfully came over to get the ball. Ron was instead looking to the coaches on the bench to see what he should do.

So many questions popped up: What's he doing? Does Ron want to be the point guard? Why isn't he handing the ball over? Is he looking for a play call?

Jay said "If that were Tinsley next to him, he would have given him the ball."

Ouch.
    It is funny you mentioned that. I am not the most observant guy in the world, which I freely admit, but I do remember at least once last night when Ronnie did not defer to the point guard when bringing up the ball. Tinsley was doing his usual "Hey, hey, hey" when the pacers were dribbling towards the offensive goal, and Ronnie ignored him and did not pass it back to him. It wasn't like they were on a fast break or anything, because the defense was set. On that play it worked out OK, because Ronnie drove into the lane and scored.

On another play later in the game he dribbled into a double team underneath, and then he did the right thing by dribbling out of the middle. If he would have reset the offense, then everything would have been fine. Instead he wound up forcing a bad shot (I think this was Ronnie by the way...I could be wrong). His good decision was nullified by his bad decision. The positive thing is that last year I think he might have forced the shot into double coverage.

I don't think Ron is trying to be selfish, I just think he is trying to do too much. He has a lot to prove to himself and the fans, and he might be a little too impatient. Hopefully he sees what is going on in the film sessions, and he learns from it.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

I just think Ronnie was a little too excited to be playing back at home (which I cannot blame him for)...But anyways the one thing that got me mad wasnt really the TO's.But it was when he would make a great play on the D end,He then would run back and jack up a horrible shot on the other end.

But its early in the season.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One play I dont believe has been mentioned yet is the time where he gambled going for the steal with a few minutes left, and gave Igoudala a wide open lane.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Most of his turnovers and fouls were offensive. Just a little to glad to be back like some people said.

Refs sucked in that game! Especially with the call where Ron hit Iguodala in the head...ACCIDENT!

Sports Logo

Ron has been trying to play point guard more the last three years you cant tell me you are just noticing that.

The only difference is that this year I have seen Rick bench him for it. In the past I just asumed Rick was ok with it. Now that I know he is not I have more faith in Rick.

VA I am not blaming Ron. He was part of the problem but he was in no way the entire problem.

StephanJackson1

Ron Artest is the best!!!!!

HORRIBLE interior defense. That has been the most glaring weakness I've seen during preseason and now during the regular season.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    HORRIBLE interior defense. That has been the most glaring weakness I've seen during preseason and now during the regular season.
    Clearly we need Jeff back.