Thread: Are the Pacers better than their record?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Are the Pacers better than their record?

As you may recall, the Pacers began the season 14-2, and are currently 12-1 in their last 13 games. They hit a slump that could now be considered "growing pains" in which they won only 7 of 15 games.

If you remove the slump, the Pacers are an amazing 26-3.

Default Re: Are the Pacers better than their record?

26-3????

ok. We legitly lost to SA, Portland, Boston, Lakers, SAC, Milwaukee

Mood

I think we're as good as our record. No more, no less. And I'm not talking philosophically here, I mean that we're not better than a 33-11 team, nor worse in this particular case.

Couple of points:

Keep in mind the Pacers will go through another "bad stretch" Hopefully it is shorter than 15 games, but they will go 3-3 or 4-5 during a stretch, I guarantee it. Every team goes through a few bad stretches a season, the difference is the good teams go 5-5 during a bad stretch the bad teams go 1-9.

To get back to your question. Tough to say.

If you look at all the Pacers team stats, you would say the pacers are not as good as their record. But if you look at the really tough shcdule they have played and how few tough road games they have left you would say they are better than their record.

Yeah, take away a few games here and there where we didn't score as much as the opposition and we're like 44-0

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, take away a few games here and there where we didn't score as much as the opposition and we're like 44-0

-Bball

And Buck has a great point. The Pacers, unlike last season, have played a very tough schedule this first half and posted a great record. They've played a ton of back-to-backs and a google of road games. The backstretch is a cakewalk in comparison.

By the season's end they should realistically have the best record overall. If they can make it to the Finals with homecourt advantage... they could really make some noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Take away a few games where we perform well in the final minute...and we're...uh..... .500

Sports Logo

Actually I think you have a point here I think they are better than their record. Some of those losses would be wins if it were this team. This is a different team than the one that went .500 for 16 games.

We score more and defend better than that team. The Pacers have clearly been energized by both Tinsley's play and the re emergence of Reggie (no coincidence in my book but I am biased)

Now I dont think we will win every game from here one out. Unfortunatley ANY loss after these wins would be a let down.

on pace to win 62 (rounded up from 61.5)--

considering the schedule has not exactly been kind so far, even with a letdown, 60 wins is PROBABLE.

Wow.

I'd like to have the 1st Boston game and the Milwaukee games back, but there are otherwise I have no complaints. Our record is as it should be.

I especially like that, while we can make a 4th quarter comeback, most of our wins seem to be in the bank by the time the last 3-4 minutes roll around.

This is how I was hoping we'd play by March or April, and I never dreamed we'd be playing this well this soon.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

on pace to win 62 (rounded up from 61.5)--

considering the schedule has not exactly been kind so far, even with a letdown, 60 wins is PROBABLE.

Wow.

I'd like to have the 1st Boston game and the Milwaukee games back, but there are otherwise I have no complaints. Our record is as it should be.

I especially like that, while we can make a 4th quarter comeback, most of our wins seem to be in the bank by the time the last 3-4 minutes roll around.

This is how I was hoping we'd play by March or April, and I never dreamed we'd be playing this well this soon.

For every Boston and Milwaukee game we want to take back, we have to remember that Altanta would like to take our first game back, ditto for the second Seattle game, etc.

These things all even out. We have been exactly as good as our record, although we may be better over the second half of the season if Tinsley continues to play at his current level.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you