Thread: Saras over AJ, but Kenny Anderson over Tinsley?

Default Saras over AJ, but Kenny Anderson over Tinsley?

You might see where I'm going with this but I'm very curious.

Why is it that when Carlisle came to Indy (as head coach), JT ended up being benched until he could earn his time on the floor, yet he lets Saras come in and immediately get time over AJ even though AJ showed us a lot last season and Saras hasn't done anything in the NBA [since he's a rookie]?

Wouldn't it only be fair to give AJ the minutes since he stepped up so big towards the end of last season for us when we really needed him to do so? I like Saras and all but when it comes down to playing the point, wouldn't some of you agree that AJ should get the first call?

Default Re: Saras over AJ, but Kenny Anderson over Tinsley?

Supposedly he had hemorrhoids. Seriously.

AJ has shown that he's a good basketball player, but (except for a 3-week spurt of brilliance late last year) he hasn't always shown that he's the guy you want running the team.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AJ has shown that he's a good basketball player, but (except for a 3-week spurt of brilliance late last year) he hasn't always shown that he's the guy you want running the team.
    But how has Saras shown that? Sure he did it in Europe, but this is the NBA. Tinsley had shown he's the man to run this team when Carlisle came in, but still got benched. Thats my point. AJ's "3 weeks brilliance" in the NBA > Saras European brilliance, but no NBA experience as far as I'm concerned.

ekedolphin

I think this early in the season, Rick's still trying to figure out exactly who he'll use in each situation. Obviously Jamaal's the #1 guy, no question. Saras struggled last night, though he did contribute some three-pointers, and AJ... (well, I'll admit I don't remember exactly how AJ did). But there'll be times that Saras struggles, which is why we've got AJ. If Jasikevicius makes a habit of it, I imagine AJ'll get more playing time.

Playing against different teams, there'll be a need to use a slightly different rotation. And the circumstances of the game, like the fact that Tinsley got in some foul trouble last night, will mean more playing time for Sarunas and Anthony.

I'd say it's a bit too early to jump on the "Anthony's getting screwed!" bandwagon.

The main problem is that both AJ ans Saras have the same weaknesses: Trouble guarding quick guards, below average ball-handling ability. The difference is, overall, AJ is a far better defender against big point guards, while Sarunas is a far better shooter and passer. I think you'll see a lot of AJ against physical guards, otherwise, you'll be seeing a lot of Sarunas, because his weaknesses are the same, but the strengths are much stronger.

Mood

u don't test a player you signed for $12 for 3 years by benching him.

Well in both cases the new guy was/is playing over the guy who'd been here a while.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

good point. and the only reason they'd get a new guy is probably because they weren't completely satisfied with the old one.