Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for our Pistons fans

Default Question for our Pistons fans

What are Detroit's weaknesses? What are their faults? What kinds of things do other teams do that hurt them the most? What kinds of things do they do to themselves that hurt them the most? What do they do the worst?

I'm being very serious, btw. Their strengths are well known. Pacers fans talk about them (:thepiston) all the time. But I don't often see their own fans talk about the bad stuff.

If anyone else replies, please ignore it and just post as if there's nothing else written.

StephanJackson1

Default Re: Question for our Pistons fans

i'm not a pistons fan but one weakness is rasheed wallace.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanJackson1
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm not a pistons fan but one weakness is rasheed wallace.
    Look, with all due respect, there's a reason I specifically said Piston fans. I only want to hear from them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, first of all, it's too early this season to know definitively what this team's weaknesses are. But since they have essentially the same group of players, I'll give it a whirl (and probably get blasted by fellow Piston fans).

1. They're still prone to scoring droughts. They don't have that one great scorer who you can get the ball to for an automatic hoop if you haven't scored in 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter. This isn't a problem usually in the 4th quarter, because Billups is a cold-blooded assassin, Hamilton's clutch, and even Sheed is at times.

2. Inexperienced bench, with Maurice Evans, Carlos Arroyo, Carlos Delfino, and Darko Milicic. Other than Arroyo's 2004 season in Utah, none of them have proven anything at this level. They're talented, but who knows how they'll turn out?

3. Cockiness and arrogance. For example, IMO the Celtics deserved to win that game. They outworked, outhustled, and generally outplayed the Pistons. But I think this group of starters loves putting themselves in situations like that, making it as hard as possible on themselves and see if they can rise and meet the challenge. In the 6 playoff series sans the first round the last two years, they've been down in 5 of them, and have won 5 of them.

I won't say coaching is a weakness, but no one knows just how much a downgrade it was from Larry Brown to Flip Saunders until May. So there's no point in bringing it up now.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kinda pointless for me to be in this thread because Indytoad's cousin is perfect for it.....

Oh well, here's an opinion from someone who thinks we might miraculously finish ABOVE .500 this year....

Its too close to call, right now. This team is getting used to the new offense, and you can see at times that it IS more effective than Larry's offense. Our drought last night was caused via 18 missed layups and 18 more passes to guys wide open in the paint that weren't completed.

Last night wasn't really a question of effort, I thought we played hard (albeit Boston came out like it was game 7 of the finals). Our problem was that we weren't quite in a comfort zone with it against their defensive pressure. Some of it was Boston's defense, some of it was just our unafmiliarity with the offense. Flip has the biggest offensive playbook in the NBA by a wide margin. It takes time to get used to all the options and counter-options there are in it.

We're going to have trouble with the higher-octane offenses this year, because unlike last year, we're more than willing to play at the other team's tempo this year. Our defense doesnt suffer, but our turnovers in transition will be a problem until we can find a comfort zone.

The bench (even as little as Flip played it yesterday) is STILL a clear improvement over our 1-man bench of last year, but it remains a weakness until we can get some cohesion out of delfino and Darko, our two most talented reserves, and at the same time our two youngest and most inexperienced rotation players. Talent-wise, our bench can play with anybody, but they need to show it on the floor when it counts.

Defensively, we haven't dropped off much, we just play at a faster tempo, so we'll allow more points, but I dont think the FG% will be any higher.

This is still all based off only 2 games, and from all this talk you'd think we were 0-2 instead of 2-0. Last night's squeaker could have been an omen or an exception. We wont know till later.

As for the coaching, I havent had a complaint about Flip in two games, and I endorsed his offensive philosophy even before he came here, so until I feel he's cost us games with a bad decision, I won't bring him up as a weakness.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Kinda pointless for me to be in this thread because Indytoad's cousin is perfect for it.....
    Ignore him. I want to hear from each of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I choose not to participate in such a petty thing as a message board argument. I'm better than that, and I'm better than you. I will NOT lower myself to your level. I created Pacers Digest, and I'm not ABOUT to let this board's reputation be ruined by an instigator like you.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    I choose not to participate in such a petty thing as a message board argument. I'm better than that, and I'm better than you. I will NOT lower myself to your level. I created Pacers Digest, and I'm not ABOUT to let this board's reputation be ruined by an instigator like you.

Hicks, there something you been keeping from the rest of us?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Weakness: The law of averages. After two straight Finals appearances, something it due to go wrong. Perhaps a key injury at the wrong time?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Weakness: The law of averages. After two straight Finals appearances, something it due to go wrong. Perhaps a key injury at the wrong time?

I'm a little disappointed in that comment, UB. NBA history says most winning teams just keep on winning until their run is over. Your theory never applied to the bulls, the lakers (either era) or the celtics, etc. They typically went through every year without worrying about injuries.

Just because the Pacers are prone to injuries doesnt mean every other team is equally as prone.

Also, as the law of probability states, let's assume that the Pistons ARENT any more sturdy physically than the Pacers. Their chances from today on out to stay healthy would be EQUAL, regardless of who had been affected by injuries in the past. If I flip a coin 99 times and it comes up heads each time, does that mean that the chances itll come up tails on the 100th flip are better than 50/50? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    That wasn't a shot at you, Hicks.
    UncleBuck:

That wasn't a shot at you, Hicks.
    OK, but where does it begin to make sense to say it?

I guess he was mocking me? I dunno....

did I ever claim to be the founder of PD?

OK, but where does it begin to make sense to say it?
    My apologies, Hicks. You asked for Pistons fans opinions on thier weaknesses, and there's really only one Piston fan who posts on this board. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

And if anyone wants to know how I think the Pistons will do, read my sig and read the predictions thread.
    UncleBuck:

I'd say the biggest thing is that we don't put teams away. We get up 10-12 and coast untill it's close again. We rarely just blast teams. And we play down to the competition all the time.

Exclamation Re: Question for our Pistons fans

Talent-wise, our bench can play with anybody, but they need to show it on the floor when it counts.
    Care to expound on that?

FredJones20

Hicks, there something you been keeping from the rest of us?
    yeah he is a pistons fan.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

This thread is a decent read, and a good idea for a topic.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
    I'd say the biggest thing is that we don't put teams away. We get up 10-12 and coast untill it's close again. We rarely just blast teams. And we play down to the competition all the time.
    Funny - I just got through talking to a client of mine and told him that this was a worry for me with the Pacers. Once you start winning, a blowout should be the ultimate goal.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Why is all this directed at Kegboy?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by FredJones20
    yeah he is a pistons fan.
    What a nice first impression.

FredJones20

What a nice first impression.