Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...about Detroit's new offense...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default So...about Detroit's new offense...

Only 83 points tonight against arguably the worst defensive team in the league last year?

And about those Sixers...they gave up 110 points tonight on their home floor to the BOBCATS.

*Sorry, Kstat, I couldn't resist.*

Default Re: So...about Detroit's new offense...

You might want t add that the bench played a collective 12 seconds and Rasheed's focused and dominant performance consisted of going 1-24 all from the 3 point line (or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might want t add that the bench played a collective 12 seconds and Rasheed's focused and dominant performance consisted of going 1-24 all from the 3 point line (or something like that).
    Why did the bench play so little? I thought this was the year Darko and co. were going to get some PT. If Flip continues to ride his starters like that, things could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade

And about those Sixers...they gave up 110 points tonight on their home floor to the BOBCATS.
    The Sixers are a complete mess right now. They are giving about 112 points per game. They miss Dalembert and their bench is just awful.

If they lose by less than 20 tonight to the Pacers i'll be amazed.

I didn't get to see Harrison play much last season but I was really impressed with his defense against Miami. That kid is strong and is tough to move Shaq couldn't even dislodge in the post like he does to most other defenders.

I also liked Granger's style of play; its nice to see a young player who has that type of passion on defense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good lord. Some people need to get off the ledge....

Flip's using almost an entirely-new bench. The'll play more at home and less on the road. My goodness.

Not to mention: THEY STILL OUTSCORED BOSTON'S BENCH.

As for Boston: they arent as bad defensively as they used to be. Delonte West is a freakin defensive stud at PG. He can't run the offense well, but he defends the crap out of his position.

I thought Darko looked much better in the little time he got tonight. He'll get plenty more tomorrow I'm sure.

AS FOR THE OFFENSE, shade. I'm a firm believer in Flip's offensive scheme. We got a ton of good looks, we just weren't in synch with a lot of the quick cuts that the motion offense requires. Guys got open, we just didnt complete passes or hit the good looks we got. Some are adjusting much more quickly than others, but the point is we're still playing very good defense despite playing a much faster tempo. Eventually, the offense will click.

Rip Hamilton is a monster in this scheme. He moves without the ball even more than before, and there are a lot more picks to run around. Of course he's used to this kind of set, so he picked this scheme up faster than the rest.

Actual Pistons fans remember the horrendous start we had to last year, geinning the 2nd game of the season when Toronto pummelled us by 20 points. Compared to that awful stretch, I'll take even the close wins.

A win's a win, especially on the road. I'll worry about details come playoff time. Right now, I just want to stay in the division hunt until we turn it on around March.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Good lord. Some people need to get off the ledge....
    I assume this one is aimed at me.

Actual Pistons fans remember the horrendous start we had to last year, geinning the 2nd game of the season when Toronto pummelled us by 20
    I hope that one isn't.

As for the first, I'm not on any ledge but I definately don't share your sunshine-esque perspective about an offense that appears to be one long string of screens that lead to what appear to be only jumpshots. While I acknowledge that the Pistons will undoubtably settle into the scheme and this defense that is allowing uncontested layups and dunks off of back-picks will stiffen. Chauncey will stop shooting 3s while the team is down by one, Rasheed will ... eventually ... make a shot, and the bench will possibly get some burn.

However, right now thats not happening and if someone wants to make a "look how bad the Pistons are playing thread" I have no problem with helping them by pointing these things out. Also, I think saying "its better than last year" is a complete cop out as we can all agree that last year was a "worst case scenario" of sorts as far as good starts go.

I watched most of this game last night and my opinion was simply that Boston is a much better team this year than last. The Pacers will have their hands full when they play them.

I not sure the Pistons are going to be the powerhouse they have been in the past. They are good but I think the Pacers have improved more than they did.

I guess thats why they play the games to find out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Only 83 points tonight against arguably the worst defensive team in the league last year?

*Sorry, Kstat, I couldn't resist.*
    It's a game in November for crying out loud. It's foolish to surmise how anything will turn out based on games in November in any season, especially for the elite teams. The Bulls were 0-9 starting last season. The Sixers are 0-4 (or at least they will be after tonight), but I'm not going to count them out.

As for the bench, they played a combined 42 minutes out of 240 last night. And I think that's going to be normal in close games. I don't see them combined playing more than 60 minutes. Flip's got a lot of pressure to win, and playing the best starting lineup in the league a lot of minutes is the best way to do that.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    It's a game in November for crying out loud. It's foolish to surmise how anything will turn out based on games in November in any season, especially for the elite teams. The Bulls were 0-9 starting last season. The Sixers are 0-4 (or at least they will be after tonight), but I'm not going to count them out.

As for the bench, they played a combined 42 minutes out of 240 last night. And I think that's going to be normal in close games. I don't see them combined playing more than 60 minutes. Flip's got a lot of pressure to win, and playing the best starting lineup in the league a lot of minutes is the best way to do that.

The most important part was Boston scored one less than the Pistons, which means Pistons get the W. Nothing better than watching a team celebrate like it is a game 7, the crowd going crazy, and then total silence. At least the Pistons showed they can score when it matters.

Sheed's killing me... I picked him up in the fantasy league.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I understand the idea of playing the best starting 5 big minutes, but all summer the talk has been how Flip will change that, that it NEEDS to change, the players get tired, and everyone was happy about it. Time for them to show their deep bench. Time for Darko!, etc.

Now two games in I'm seeing without it actually being typed, "Larry Brown did it right," in terms of a rotation.

Just FYI to everyone, the main point of this thread was just to rib Kstat a little. After the Pistons put a whoopin' on the Sixers, Kstat said I wasn't giving credit to Detroit's new offense. I simply reminded him that the Sixers' defense was atrocious. It's really too early to see how good/bad Detroit's offense is going to be this year.

Now watch us score less than 90 points tonight. We always have trouble against Philly for some reason.

Last year we really had a problem with them. It's a new season so I think we'll do a lot better against them this year.

sweabs

Good thing for Detroit: Tonight they get to test things out against the stiffling Toronto Raptors defense!

I'll be watching. Wallace & Wallace are going to have an absolute fielday down low. If Flip is smart, he'll keep pounding it down there every single time. Araujo? The undersized/underweight Charlie V or Chris Bosh? Please...

Do I sense a little tension between the Pistons fans of the board?

If you actually watched the game you'd see that Boston was treating it like game 7 of the finals. I haven't seen a team put forth that much energy at this point in the season in a LONG time. Chauncey and Sheed missed at least 10 combined shots from about 2 feet-in.

Boston is young though, so if they can put that much effort out on a nightly basis, they could make some noise. It was clearly 2 teams playing at 2 totally different levels, and I don't think Chuancey was expecting the kind of defensive intensity from Delonte that he got, so it threw him off a bit. He still racked up 8 assists on 1 TO though.

And who cares about the offense anyways. We have never been a great offensive team, but we are better this year. And the defense... Both teams we have played so far averaged over 100ppg last year. Combined, they scored 84.5ppg on 41% shooting on us. So, the defense is just as good, if not better. But, we'll have to wait and see come March-April before we really know what these teams are about.

Naptown Seth

You all can accuse me of being a troll all you want, but I'll say it one last time - you can't go from a Hall of Fame coach in Larry Brown to a proven average coach like Flip Saunders and honestly believe your team will stay level, or dare I say, even improve. That's just blind homerism or ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    That's just blind homerism or ignorance.
    I may have to start using that word.

You all can accuse me of being a troll all you want, but I'll say it one last time - you can't go from a Hall of Fame coach in Larry Brown to a proven average coach like Flip Saunders and honestly believe your team will stay level, or dare I say, even improve. That's just blind homerism or ignorance.
    First of all, Flip is not a "proven" average coach. He has only ever coached 1 NBA team, untill now. And if you didnt realize, LB never won a title untill he came to the PISTONS. It's not like he was a proven NBA Championship coach. That's why I never got the argument that LB has won a title and Flip hasn't. Give Flip a couple years with us and he'll have one or two as well.

Second, Larry was a great coach who helped our core players improve their own games, and got us to play together. But, now, these guys know how to play together. They need someone who can come in and shake up the offensive strategy. None of that predictable crap LB used to use over and over. These guys know defense. You couldn't get guys like Ben, Sheed, Tayshaun, and Chauncey to not play defense if you paid them.

And if Flip is an average coach, what is Carlisle? Carlisle couldn't muster up a Finals berth in the EAST with 2 very talented teams. Flip got just as far as Carlisle, but in the West, with a one man team.

Before the T-Wolves fallout last year Flip was looked at as one of the top coaches in the league according to GMs. Just look at this GM Poll before the 04-05 season where Flip was voted 3rd best coach in the league (behind Sloan and LB): http://www.nba.com/preview2004/gmsurvey_coaches.html

Chuck Daly was average until he took over the Pistons in the 80's. Larry Brown didn't win a championship until he came to Detroit. Indian improved going from a hall of fame coach to unproven Larry Bird. Will the Pistons be better or worse? Based on the 2 games I've seen, I have no idea. And neither do you. To say otherwise is just blind haterism and ignorance.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoner
    Chuck Daly was average until he took over the Pistons in the 80's. Larry Brown didn't win a championship until he came to Detroit. Indian improved going from a hall of fame coach to unproven Larry Bird. Will the Pistons be better or worse? Based on the 2 games I've seen, I have no idea. And neither do you. To say otherwise is just blind haterism and ignorance.

Peace

Don't feed the troll.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

We just put up a 38 point first quarter against toronto Wow do they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
    We just put up a 38 point first quarter against toronto Wow do they suck.
    They're the worst team in the NBA, dude. Its nice to see but not celebration-worthy.

Justa sign of our new offense clicking vs a bad team.

They're the worst team in the NBA, dude. Its nice to see but not celebration-worthy.
    That's why i did the "laugh" icon, and said "wow, do they suck". Hence, crediting Toronto's suckiness more than our offense.

Naptown Seth

How is Flip Saunders not a proven average coach? 7 consecutive 1st round exits, while coaching the most unique and gifted player in the league, and other All-Stars. He's not a horrible, Isiah Thomas-level coach, but he's done nothing to deserve to be called anything above average.