Thread: Did Reggie Have Motive For Picking Pistons?

Default Did Reggie Have Motive For Picking Pistons?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_051104.html

Q. My stomach churned a bit when I heard Reggie said the Pistons were the "team to beat," and further, "that any little thing can set Indiana off." Although I can not and do not expect Uncle Reg to be biased, I found the latter statement a bit brazen! Over the years he has chosen his words very carefully, knowing exactly how to get under the skin of an enemy with choice statements. Could there be more behind his season-beginning statement lurking below the surface, or am I just a fan being too sensitive to what appears to be quasi-treason? (From Derek in Indianapolis)

A. I do believe you're onto something. In the latter phase of his playing career, Reggie developed a habit of choosing his words very, very carefully. In fact, he restricted his availability to the local media, talking only after selected practices, no more than twice a week. He also would not talk before games. After games, when required to be available, he always went through a long ritual of slowly getting fully dressed before commenting. Invariably, he was the last player in the locker room to take questions. Maybe he was being meticulous. Maybe he was being a little ornery. Or maybe he wanted as much time as possible to gather his thoughts and consider the difference between what he wanted to say and what he needed to say.
    It's entirely possible that his selection of Detroit as the team to beat in the Eastern Conference was calculated. Picking Miami, after all, wouldn't have nearly the same effect on the Pacers players. There isn't a rivalry there. There's little history between the teams. But to pick the rival Pistons, as you mentioned, could be viewed as treasonous. He then took things a step further, talking about chemistry problems that could keep the Pacers from achieving their potential. Those are the sort of comments that could serve to motivate a team for a long time.
    Was he simply offering objective (as possible) analysis, establishing from the outset with the TNT viewing audience he would not be a Pacers homer? Or was he attempting to continue to inspire his former team, in his own way, from afar? Only Reggie knows for sure, but it would not be difficult to believe he was endeavoring to do both.

-----------

Interesting. I could believe that. It fits. And whether he meant to do it or not, it could pay off for the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Did Reggie Have Motive For Picking Pistons?

It's pretty obvious to me, especially after his comments last night, that Reggie is just poking at the Pacers, warning them that they need to stick together if they want the title. He knows as well as anyone that we can beat the Pistons. But he also knows, if we lose our cool (ala Tins last night), that we can beat ourselves, as well.

Whatever helps you sleep at night

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I did notice Reggie was backpedaling last night when calling the Pacers/Heat game. What he said is true when he picked the Pistons. Until we knock them out in the playoffs, they are (and should be) the favorites. You have to remember that the best team doesn't always win. Look no further than 1998 for proof of that.

The season is a long one and the playoffs are a completely different animal. The Pacers are playing well right now, and they still aren't near 100%. Injuries could dramatically change everything. What is Shaq is out for 2 weeks? The Heat will still be damn good, but not as good as they would be with Shaq. They might lose a couple of games that they would have won with him.

The Pacers have limped into their playoff-ending series the past two seasons. In 2004, Tins, Freddie and JO were all injured. In 2005, JO and Foster were injured, Tins wasn't 100% and there was no Ron-Ron. "If" the Pacers can stay healthy all the way through the playoffs, they will be playing in the Finals against the Spurs. This is an unbelievably deep team, by far the deepest team in the east. They will have an easier time of overcoming injuries than they did last season. But come playoff time, they need to be healthy if they are going to get by the Pistons and/or the Heat. Don't be too hard on Reggie. He has a motive for saying what he said. He is and always will be a Pacer IMO, so I am reading his statements to be not only the truth, but a motivational statement as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pretty obvious to me, especially after his comments last night, that Reggie is just poking at the Pacers, warning them that they need to stick together if they want the title. He knows as well as anyone that we can beat the Pistons. But he also knows, if we lose our cool (ala Tins last night), that we can beat ourselves, as well.
    I agree with that as well. After listening to Reggie last night, it seemed, at least to me, that there were two motives for him in picking the Pistons:

1. Credibility
    2. To pump up his team.

Maybe Reggie just got caught up in the emotion of seeing his former team last night, and was subconciously unable to make unbiased observations. That's another reason why it was a really bad idea by TNT to have Reggie announce a Pacers game this season, and hopefully it will never happen again.

Whatever the case, Reggie lost a lot of credibility as an analyst to me. If he really believed the Pacers were the best team, there's nothing wrong with that. Just say it. Many, many other NBA analysts believe that.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Sports Logo

What Reggie says is true....the Pistons are the team to beat. But it does seem like he is egging the Pacers on to "prove him wrong....cuz if you do...you will win it all".

One thing I would like to comment on is what he says about keeping their emotions in check.....especially the Big 4. We know what Artest is about....we know that JONeal can fly off the handle. I'm more concerned about SJax and Tinsley.....Tinsley did it yesterday when he punched the ball that got Payton another FT shot due to his technical that either tied the game of brought them closer to the Pacers ( the prime example of one of the Big 4 doing something retarded at the worst possible time ). I don't even want to imagine what SJax could do this season.....he's the one I fear the most....yes...even more then Artest....cuz SJax still seems like he has the potential to become a loose cannon and do something stupid that will cause the Pacers to lose a critical game. He's like Artest....he wears his emotions and his "proverbial" mouth on his sleeve.....simply put...he doesn't know when to shut the EFF up.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I thought he didn't want to be called a homer. Detroit's a safe, solid pick.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Harmonica

Well, and considering they won the East last year, they are the team to beat.

He hasn't contradicted himself. He said he's picking Detroit, but that if Indiana gets its act together, they can beat anybody. However, Indiana has to prove they can, and Detroit already has proven they can win, so ultimately he's expecting them to win as of now.