Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay's Random comments on the Heat game and TNT

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jay's Random comments on the Heat game and TNT

Not to steal Peck's thunder, but I had a few mostly unrelated thoughts to post and I haven't had time to see if any of these are covered somewhere else ...

I liked the way David played against Shaq - except for that one debacle of a play in which David tried to front him (I bet that never happens again). I'm so happy to see David back on the court, considering the way last season kinda fizzled away for him. He's going to be a real impact player for this team. Which leads to my next point...

I like how Croshere is playing, but that's not really anything new. I don't miss Foster at all, by the way. Regardless, how much longer until David assumes the starting position? Yes, I know, he's still a foul magnet, even Reggie called him a rookie last night (oops). But he's going to be a foul magnent until he learns what the officials are looking for and the officials learn his game, and that's not going to happen sitting on the bench. We should be maximizing his minutes (once he's in shape, of course), which means he should be playing until he fouls out. No reason to pull him just because he gets his fifth foul if you're not going to bring him back later.

Tinsley. I caught some flack last season for saying that Tinsley had developed into our second-most-important player. But Reggie's comments took that one step further last night, and I think I agree. Tinsley IS the most important player on the Pacers. It doesn't matter if JO and Ron play well if Tinsley is hurt or loses his concentration. Saras is very good offensively, but Tinsley is the heart-and-soul of this team. Saras is going to compliment Tinsley nicely, but he's not going to replace Tinsley.

Ron. Why can't Ron just be a basketball player? Because there's no doubt in my mind that he's an absolute stud on the court. Its a shame there's always so much more (and usually negative) stuff to talk about with him. But when he just shuts up, and plays within the team concept, damn...

Danny Granger is already about to replace David Harrison as my favorite Pacer. He's another guy that's got to get more minutes.

Bender. Street clothes.

AJ vs. FJ. I think Fred's being showcased. He's not playing well, and he hasn't earned the minutes he's getting. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Lastly, and clearly most importantly:

According to my attorney, Charles Barkley and TNT did not ask for permission for Charles to describe the Mavericks as "This team is built for the regular season." Even if it was a well-intended pot-shot at Mark Cuban. I would've granted permission if asked, but I don't like hearing my catch-phrase used like that without some recognition. It would be like me saying Three-peat (tm) without paying Pat Riley a nickle. And that's just not right. This great country and our free enterprise were built on the notion of protecting artists and inventors rights. Charles & TNT will be hearing from my lawyers soon. By the way, Steve Kerr's quoting of Reggie was 100% accurate, Chuck Person was the greatest player in Auburn history.

I've got to call a client, so fire away and I'll check back in later....
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: Jay's Random comments on the Heat game and TNT

Well despite the fact I aint Peck, nor you, I will chip in a bit (with kind permission of)

Not only the "this team is build for the regular season" but hrmph (tm) "Cabbage" was used, now doesn't that make you wonder where these guys "source" their "knowledge" ?

As for Tins, I am simply a fan of him I can't help it, I know he's fragile, but by
    What was a very pleasant amazement was how JO took over in the last minutes, after he scored 2 times in a row to sink 2 FT's after that my thought was "and that is what really great players are made off"

He had a great "reposte" with Ron and if that can sustain through the season (and Tins stays healthy) then to quote Reggie "there is noone in the league that can stop them"

2nd game in, 80 to go, but I like what I have seen big time

And while everyone talks about Granger's block of Wade from behind (it was great true) everyone forgets the oh so important swat JO had with less then a minute to go.

As far as Granger, Hulk and Sa are concerned, I could not have said it better.

But jay; isn't it a pleasure to watch this team play like that ?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Harmonica

*sigh* I sure do miss Peck's thoughts on the game.

Just kidding, Jay. Good post. Not the heroin I craved this morning (Peck's thoughts), but methadone works for now.

Since I've seen it mentioned so many times, I have to finally ask: What was so important about JO's block? IIRC it landed right into another Heat player's hands, and they scored the ball or got fouled.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But jay; isn't it a pleasure to watch this team play like that?
    The first two-and-a-half quarters were sublime. I was buzzing watching them play, thinking there's not a team in the league that can beat us if we continue to play like this. Then it pretty much came to a grinding halt. Sarunas looked a little lost out there, as did the rest of the team, and they never really seemed to be able to get it back. Carlisle reminds me a little of Marty Schottenheimer, head coach of the San Diego Chargers. He builds a nice lead, then gets conservative and tries to protect the lead versus staying aggressive. That hasn't served the Chargers well. Especially in the playoffs.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Another guy invented Newtonoian physics about the same time Isaac Newton did. The time was ripe for such an idea.

"Cabbage" and "Made for the regular season" just may have actually been thought up by those commentators.

P.S. Last night, my girlfriend called him, "Yassa, where are my cabbages?"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked seeing Freddie out there. I think he did pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by able
    -snip-
    But jay; isn't it a pleasure to watch this team play like that ?
    This was the one point I didn't get in before I had to run earlier.

I took some grief (probably deservedly) for saying that I just wasn't that excited for this season to start the other day.

Now that I've watched two games, my position has changed.

I'm 100% pumped up to watch this team play basketball.

I still have 0% enthusiasm or optimism for the between-game and offcourt crap that this team does that drives me nutz.

But for 48 minutes a night, 82 nights a year, this will be fun.

I do believe this team is going to win a lot of games this season. And maybe they'll grow up and maybe they won't. I need to quit worrying about championships and just watch the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    I liked seeing Freddie out there. I think he did pretty good.
    I was disappointed in freddie's play. He just didn't seem to be on the same page as everyone else especially on the offensive side.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I do believe this team is going to win a lot of games this season. And maybe they'll grow up and maybe they won't. I need to quit worrying about championships and just watch the games.
    Very Zen, Jay. Live in the moment. The here and now. The past and the future don't exist. Shows a lot of personal growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Since I've seen it mentioned so many times, I have to finally ask: What was so important about JO's block? IIRC it landed right into another Heat player's hands, and they scored the ball or got fouled.
    I agree. It was a nice block but they scored right after it which makes it easy to forget.

Jay coming over to the sunny side

I think Fred is taking a little too long to find his flow, but I still like the guy and he's still good but is a page behind the team.

As I said elsewhere, Fred was running the sets in the first half, and did a fine job at it.

Also, since this seems to be the defacto Peck thread, I just want to say that I was really impressed with Austin's passing tonight. IF we continue to play the up-tempo game we did the first half ( ), and IF Austin's level of play stays the same, than I can live with Austin starting and Jeff providing the Energizer bunny role off the bench he excels at.

And since it's Jay's thread, does anybody else wish we'd just call JO a center from now on? Even if it would put him behind Shaq in All-Star and All-NBA voting?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Jay coming over to the sunny side
    There has been a shift in the force...

I am now waiting for someone to suggest trading Croshere ..

Why Not Us ?

Trading croshere makes sense now more than ever, but it wont happen and I don't want it to happen.

He is playing like Cro of 2000 and he has become a wily veteran. Taking charges and all that good stuff.

I like Croshere in the starting spot all season. Jermaine should be center also.

Playing Jermaine at Center will always keep the other teams center away from the basket a little bit. Especially if he can start knocking down three's with consitency. (i can dream right?)

It was great to see lots of guys playing. We're going to need that depth this year to keep everyone healthy. But you can also see why Rick is going to have about a 7 man rotation come May. The team that started and finished played like monsters, and everyone else almost gave it back.

5 men in double figures, held our own on the boards, not bad. My favorite stat? Ronnie's 1-1 from the 3-point line. When he hits one, that usually means he takes about 7 more just to see if the first one was a fluke. By the way, the only starter that hit less than 50% of his shots? SJax with 3-13, erp.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ball
    -snip-My favorite stat? Ronnie's 1-1 from the 3-point line. When he hits one, that usually means he takes about 7 more just to see if the first one was a fluke.
    Excellent point.

Freddie needs to be more active on offense, it will make him look like he's actually doing something.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

I want to see AJ at SG some, but he's got to shave that hair first. It freaks me out.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    The first two-and-a-half quarters were sublime. I was buzzing watching them play, thinking there's not a team in the league that can beat us if we continue to play like this. Then it pretty much came to a grinding halt. Sarunas looked a little lost out there, as did the rest of the team, and they never really seemed to be able to get it back. Carlisle reminds me a little of Marty Schottenheimer, head coach of the San Diego Chargers. He builds a nice lead, then gets conservative and tries to protect the lead versus staying aggressive. That hasn't served the Chargers well. Especially in the playoffs.

yeah, nothing drives me nuts more than when we dominate for 3 quarters just to hand the game right back to em' by going prevent. Keep doing what got you the damn lead.

i understand wanting to limit the number of possessions late in the game when you have a lead, but wait till the 2 minute mark or later.

You know what I liked? The degree to which Jermaine was passing down low.

It wasn't always from a back-to-the-basket post-up position, but several times he passed from the block out to the wings. The best thing was, it looked natural. Sometimes last season, Jermaine looked uncomfortable passing the ball. He looked good the season before, so I suppose the problem last season could have been familiarity with his teammates. Regardless, that's what JO needs to keep doing. Keep passing the ball, Jermaine.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Since this is the random thoughts on last nights game.......

Was it me, or did AJ have a faded mohawk? I could of sworen I saw the back of his head in the background when he was trotting off the floor and he had a mohawk strip, but when I saw him from the front it looked like his head was completely shaved.

Didn't know if it went from shaved in the front, and gradually got thicker(?? maybe longer??) as it went towards the back.

On a more serious note.......

I was impressed by three things last night.

1) Granger running the ball down in the corner after Wade(?) stole the lazy pass that Saras threw. Instead of retreating back and getting in position to defend, he gave Wade a race and came up with the ball. I really liked that hustle.

2) The flow of the offense through the first 2 1/2 qtrs., until they played not to lose instead of playing to win. Pressing the ball down the floor was really effective, even if they pulled back out and setup the offense after it was understood there wasn't going to be a layup. Not necessarily playing an up/down tempo, but it put pressure on the Heat to get back and (I thought anyways) it affected their offense by creating weaker legs, and they weren't able to crash the boards for offensive rebounds.

3) I was impressed seeing them huddle together a couple of times during dead balls. What really impressed me, was noticing Ron called for the huddle two or three times. Those little things create the difference in teams. Just to make sure everyone's on the same page, and it creates team communication in other aspects.

Hey now. It is the "random comments on the Heat game" thread.