Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reggie

Default Re: Reggie

Hopefully Cubes will blast TNT about it, so they can rip the idea to shreds on the air yet again.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who says it's not for them to call? Any idiot knows he's not giving a medical diagnosis, but when an 18 year pro, not to mention one who's HAD THAT INJURY gives an estimation, I listen. And read the other thread just posted, he was pretty close. Shaq's out 2-4 weeks.
    Even if he was right, I still don't want to hear a commentator make that estimation. You run the risk of looking like an idiot if the guy gets back in the game 2 minutes later.

Otherwise, like I said before, he did a good job - an above average job.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Maybe people looked like idiots before because they were bsing the audience, or they don't know what they're talking about. Reggie won't do that.

Personally, I loved Reggie calling this game. I honestly think it gave us a psychological edge against Miami. Almost like the Pacers wanted to play well for Reg and show him how "mature" and well we can play without him. I also agree with some of the guys on here that mentioned that Reg saying Det. was the team to beat and that we may not have the chemistry to beat them as a perfectley positioned and motivational comment to help us. As for his commentating, I thought it was hilarious when they called him out on his cracking voice, sounds like the man has been going through puberty for a couple decades. Just my 2 cents.

-J

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I don't think it was a good plan for TNT to make his first game a Pacers game.

I enjoyed it, but the rest of the world has probably already labeled him as a "homer" despite all other evidence that he won't be a homer.

TNT has many more "hits" than "misses" - which is exacerbated by the fact that ESPN just plain sucks, but that one was probably a "miss" from a national viewpoint.
    This was a definite "miss" by TNT. One of my biggest pet peeves about national broadcasts is when any of the announcers definitively root for a team (the #1 reason I can't stand Billy Packer).

Well, when Reggie Miller is live at a Pacers game, sees the players and coaches he worked with and played with just months earlier, it's going to be impossible for him to not root for them, no matter how much he tries. He's even admitted that.

TNT should just stop that problem by not assigning him to announce any more Pacer games. I completely blame TNT, not Reggie. They should have known this was going to happen.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    When I was watching, I found myself asking this question "Whose more biased: Tom Heinsohn announcing the Celtics or Reggie Miller announcing the Pacers?" I don't ever remember him being once critical of the Pacers.

But I don't blame Reggie for that. I blame TNT. When I'm watching a nationally broadcast game, I expect completely unbiased announcers. It is simply too much to ask Reggie Miller to be completely unbiased about the Pacers at this point in time.

I think Reggie will be fine broadcasting other teams, and even analyzing the Pacers from the studio (him picking the Pistons to win the East was completely for credibility, btw). But he should never be allowed to broadcast another Pacer game unless Al Albert & Quinn Buckner are his partners. IMO.

I thought he was very unbiased. For you to compare Reggie to Heinsohn is just sad and ignorant. He was crtical of the Pacers offense getting stagnant, he called Shaq's offensive foul( his 4th or 5th) a bad call, he called out the Pacers when Tins got a technical, he made fun of Fred Jones when Dwade faked him out and got a shot off. Probably, Reggie talking about some of the Pacers plays made you think he was biased. I like Steve Kerr and Marv a lot and think Reg will fit right in there very well. He put himself on the line by calling Shaq's injury a one monther which turned out to be accurate. He took a risk in saying that because, it would have been funny if Shaq was back in the third quarter but it worked out for Reggie.

Can you tell me instances when you thought he was biased. I think it is more like Reggie is in a lose lose situation when doing a Pacers game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    I thought he was very unbiased. For you to compare Reggie to Heinsohn is just sad and ignorant. He was crtical of the Pacers offense getting stagnant, he called Shaq's offensive foul( his 4th or 5th) a bad call, he called out the Pacers when Tins got a technical, he made fun of Fred Jones when Dwade faked him out and got a shot off. Probably, Reggie talking about some of the Pacers plays made you think he was biased. I like Steve Kerr and Marv a lot and think Reg will fit right in there very well. He put himself on the line by calling Shaq's injury a one monther which turned out to be accurate. He took a risk in saying that because, it would have been funny if Shaq was back in the third quarter but it worked out for Reggie.

Can you tell me instances when you thought he was biased. I think it is more like Reggie is in a lose lose situation when doing a Pacers game.
    I got the feeling listening to the broadcast that Reggie Miller was rooting for the Indiana Pacers to win the game, at least subconciously. To me, that's completely inexcusable on a national broadcast, no matter what the situation. And until Reggie can temper that, he shouldn't broadcast another Pacer game. And I don't think he'll be able to do that this season.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    I got the feeling listening to the broadcast that Reggie Miller was rooting for the Indiana Pacers to win the game, at least subconciously. To me, that's completely inexcusable on a national broadcast, no matter what the situation. And until Reggie can temper that, he shouldn't broadcast another Pacer game. And I don't think he'll be able to do that this season.
    I understand what you are saying, however how many times have we fans had to listen to Bill Walton cheering on the Lakers or Marv Albert cheering on the Knicks, etc.? This was Reg's FIRST game. I will certainly give him some leeway although I didn't think he was too homeristic in the first place. But, even if he was, it is about time the Pacers had a little love from anyone in the business. Normally, the P's are an afterthought following NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, .........

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

My main complaint about Reggie is this - he talks too slow for an announcer. He needs to work on getting the marbles out of his mouth, and speeding up his delivery. With experience and training, he'll be able to ditch the long pauses and such.

His analysis was fine.

If his delivery does not improve, I can see him getting moved to the studio and staying there with Sir Charles, another notorious slow talker.

woman without a team

Isn't a commentator on TV kind of like a columnist in the paper? If can give us his opinion about crap he knows very little about then I don't have a problem with Reggie giving us his opinion based on 30 years of playing basketball (and spraining his ankle).

Besides, Reggie got it right. He said a month. Somebody who is supposed to know told TNT that it was day to day. Who looks stupid now?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IUColtPacerFan
    I understand what you are saying, however how many times have we fans had to listen to Bill Walton cheering on the Lakers or Marv Albert cheering on the Knicks, etc.? This was Reg's FIRST game. I will certainly give him some leeway although I didn't think he was too homeristic in the first place. But, even if he was, it is about time the Pacers had a little love from anyone in the business. Normally, the P's are an afterthought following NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, .........
    That's why it was a bad idea. He probably should've worked 15-20 games before he worked a Pacers game.

Again, Marv and Steve set him up for any "Homer" backlash with the softball questions they pitched to him about the Pacers.

I just wish Clyde would work those TNT games with Marv. THAT's a great pair of announcers to listen to. Steve Kerr bugs me for some reason.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

woman without a team

VA, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. (At least I don't think it was. I've slept since then.) The way I look at it the play by play guy is the one that is supposed to be impartial. The color commentators are supposed to know something about the game because they've usually played or coached. If Shaq had hurt his hand instead of his foot Reggie could have said, "Well, if he's anything like AJ and me he broke it and will be out for 2 months." I don't call that speculation. I call it insight.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought Reggie did a good job during the game. He kept most bias at home, and wasn't afraid to point out team weaknesses. As far as calling the injury to Shaq a "monther," it was risky, but, he was basing it on experience, and that's why they have color commentators, to share their experience.

And, no matter what Reggie says, he'll NEVER, EVER be HALF as bad as Bill Walton.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake