Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie

Default Reggie

So what do you guys think so far? Myself, each individual is fine as a individual. All 3 guys together, IMO, was nothing short of a train wreck.

Reggie seems to be fitting but trying a tad too hard IMO. I think that once he settles down and knows how far he can go he'll be fine.

Default Re: Reggie

What would be strange is hearing Reggie call out Boom Baby though I doubt that will ever happen.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

ESPN radio in Florida is just ragging all over Reggie for rattling on about nothing but the Pacers for 3 hours.

They suggest, poosibly with some merit, that if he wants to be a serious announcer that he shouldn't do Pacers games.

At times he was "Mr. Obvious" in his comments.

If we're going to criticize him for saying something we already know, why not criticize every commentator? If you know the game, almost everything said will be something you know.

PT, do you listen to 790 the Ticket up there? I heard Joe Rose going off on Reg as I was getting to work.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ESPN radio in Florida is just ragging all over Reggie for rattling on about nothing but the Pacers for 3 hours.

They suggest, poosibly with some merit, that if he wants to be a serious announcer that he shouldn't do Pacers games.

I thought that it was because they were constantly asking him questions about the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by bread
    PT, do you listen to 790 the Ticket up there? I heard Joe Rose going off on Reg as I was getting to work.
    Yes I heard 790, also Mike & Mike (760) weren't too thrilled with Reggie.

I thought he was OK, but then again I'm a Pacers fan and probably didn't notice so much that was all he talked about.

I think he is a helluva lot better than Steve Kerr.
    :thepacers

MistiLynn

I like Steve Kerr, though he gets the same reputation for talking about the Spurs too much. Reality is that you talk about what you know, he was probably a little nervous and talked about what he knows - the Pacers. He did seem to be trying a little too hard but we'll see after a bit, if he's still there, how he's doing.

I thought Reggie did a fine job. I thought he was smooth, likeable and knowledgeable.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I thought Reggie did a fine job. I thought he was smooth, likeable and knowledgeable.
    Same here.

With the Pacers playing, it almost felt like watching the Director's commentary on a DVD.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie did really good IMO. I only noticed him make one mistake (he called Hulk a rookie). I like him in there. The small things he does wrong will go away after a while. Keep in mind, this is his first week.

considering the situation he was in, i thought he did well. he'll get better as the season goes on. how could he not talk alot about the pacers? kerr and albert made a lot of references to last season and he just so happened to be on the team. was he just supposed to act like he wasn't part if it?

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom

When I was watching, I found myself asking this question "Whose more biased: Tom Heinsohn announcing the Celtics or Reggie Miller announcing the Pacers?" I don't ever remember him being once critical of the Pacers.

But I don't blame Reggie for that. I blame TNT. When I'm watching a nationally broadcast game, I expect completely unbiased announcers. It is simply too much to ask Reggie Miller to be completely unbiased about the Pacers at this point in time.

I think Reggie will be fine broadcasting other teams, and even analyzing the Pacers from the studio (him picking the Pistons to win the East was completely for credibility, btw). But he should never be allowed to broadcast another Pacer game unless Al Albert & Quinn Buckner are his partners. IMO.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

He said plenty bad in studio Tuesday. He brought up what he was talking about again last night, too. To compare him to Tommy is an insult.

woman without a team

TNT shouldn't have had Reggie's first game be a Pacers game, but they did it for the ratings. The only thing I don't like about Reggie doing games is I can't ff through it or I'll miss what he says.

As for people complaining about Reggie talking about when he was a Pacer what about Doug Collins constantly talking about when he was a coach? It drives me absolutely insane. I thought about shotting myself the time he talked about how hard he tried to get Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    He said plenty bad in studio Tuesday. He brought up what he was talking about again last night, too. To compare him to Tommy is an insult.
    He wasn't that bad, but for a national broadcast it wasn't good. He'll be fine in the studio, but when he's broadcasting a Pacers game, it's impossible to expect him to subconsciously not root for them. And that's absolutely inexcusable for a national broadcast.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

I like how Reg did. and as the season goes on, he's only going to get better.

I thought he was pretty good. Although he definately needs to speak louder, he's so quite compared to the other two. My favorite part was when he said he gave Bill "The business"

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    TNT shouldn't have had Reggie's first game be a Pacers game, but they did it for the ratings. The only thing I don't like about Reggie doing games is I can't ff through it or I'll miss what he says.
    100% right. TNT did Reggie a disservice by having his first game be an Indiana game. It opens him up to such criticism. It didn't help that Marv was asking him Pacer questions every 5 minutes.

Anyone who watched him on Lifetime knows that he's a very meticulous basketball analyst, and he showed that last night. While calling Pacer plays by name may make him look like a homer, he's imparting his knowledge to the viewing audience, which is exactly what he's supposed to do. Maybe the critics didn't notice that he picked up Shaq's improved FT form 3 quarters before Kerr did.

Lastly, somebody above said Mike and Mike were some of the critics. Please. If Kenny and Charles have forgotten a thousand times more basketball knowledge than Mark Cuban will ever have, than Reggie has forgotten a trillion more than M&M. Look, they're great at football, but anyone who depends on Bill Walton to come in every week to explain basketball to them clearly doesn't know **** about the game.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I didn't notice anything he was doing to "cheer" for the Pacers. Perhaps people were put off that his former teammates were communicating with him during the broadcast (JO going into halftime and AJ presenting him the game ball) but that really wasn't Reggie's fault. Like others said, TNT decided to put him there and they can't expect the audience to not pick up on that. Reggie was in playoffs with just about this same team just months ago. You can't expect to sit him courtside and for both Reggie and the team to act as if they don't know each other. Perhaps by the end of the season this will be commonplace for both and he can be there without any interaction, but just a few games into the season is too soon to expect that given Reggie's history with the team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys are kooky.

I thought Reggie did a great job considering the circumstances. My only complaint would be when Shaq injured his ankle he said (paraphrasing), "That looks like a monther... like he'll be out for at least a month." That's not for a commentator to call.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    "That looks like a monther... like he'll be out for at least a month." That's not for a commentator to call.
    Even if he got it right?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16254
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Who says it's not for them to call? Any idiot knows he's not giving a medical diagnosis, but when an 18 year pro, not to mention one who's HAD THAT INJURY gives an estimation, I listen. And read the other thread just posted, he was pretty close. Shaq's out 2-4 weeks.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think it was a good plan for TNT to make his first game a Pacers game.

I enjoyed it, but the rest of the world has probably already labeled him as a "homer" despite all other evidence that he won't be a homer.

TNT has many more "hits" than "misses" - which is exacerbated by the fact that ESPN just plain sucks, but that one was probably a "miss" from a national viewpoint.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you