Thread: The biggest surprise of the season?

Default The biggest surprise of the season?

Who would have thought Fred would be our 6th man? Maybe it is because of the matchups of Francis and Wade and maybe it won't last as Saras continues to adapt (and Bender heals) but I didn't think he would get off the bench.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Default Re: The biggest surprise of the season?

Harrison was the 6th man tonight...

Altho I get what you are saying. Personally, I thought Freddie's preseason was going to bury him on the bench behind AJ and give AJ some SG minutes.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Worked great on that last play.

With Fred falling down, we were lucky to to get that bobble around and out of the rim. Any other day, Wade would have nailed it.

I don't think Fred deserves the 6th man role right now, but he's effectively a veteran, so maybe the coaches are giving him the benefit of the doubt and letting him get his game back over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

With Fred falling down, we were lucky to to get that bobble around and out of the rim. Any other day, Wade would have nailed it.

Speaking of the last shot... Didn't anyone who recorded it (I think the kids call it Tivoed nowadays) happen to see whether DWade was really behind the arc when he fired that up? I thought he might've stepped on or over the line but I didn't record it to see. ...altho he missed it so it is more a matter of curiosity than anything. The ref signalled it would be a 3 if he hit it.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Speaking of the last shot... Didn't anyone who recorded it (I think the kids call it Tivoed nowadays) happen to see whether DWade was really behind the arc when he fired that up? I thought he might've stepped on or over the line but I didn't record it to see. ...altho he missed it so it is more a matter of curiosity than anything. The ref signalled it would be a 3 if he hit it.

-Bball
    I was wondering that too, at first, but they showed a replay from above afterwards and I think he was pretty clearly behind the line.

IndyToad
    Just this once

Mood

I think he was behind the line. I do question the 3 he made before that, though. I'd like to see that again.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any other day, Wade would have nailed it.
    I don't think that's fair. Wade has already missed two game winning or tying threes against us.

And in the replay I saw, Wade was clearly behind the line on the last shot. He even stepped around Fred to make sure he was.

I don't think Fred deserves the 6th man role right now, but he's effectively a veteran, so maybe the coaches are giving him the benefit of the doubt and letting him get his game back over time.
    Wade had stepped on Fred's foot. That's why he fell.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Wade had stepped on Fred's foot. That's why he fell.
    Didn't notice that. Sorry, Fred.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fred was terrible defensively that game. I've been pretty disappointed in his play (mainly defensively) from the first preseason game up until now.

IMO, Croshere has been the biggest surprise. He's getting it done without playing a lot of minutes. He's even played very well defensively at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I think he was behind the line. I do question the 3 he made before that, though. I'd like to see that again.
    What about JO's two at half-time, TNT didn't show a good replay angle. Did anyone catch that one?

I personally thought it would have been smarter to use Wade as the decoy and he pass it off, but I guess if that guy didn't make it either, people would be going on about how Wade should have taken the shot, so..........What do I know?
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    Fred was terrible defensively that game. I've been pretty disappointed in his play (mainly defensively) from the first preseason game up until now.

IMO, Croshere has been the biggest surprise. He's getting it done without playing a lot of minutes. He's even played very well defensively at times.
    I guess I should add that I think Fred's minutes are a surpise because he isn't playing all that well. I'd have thought that some of our newer players would be getting those minutes.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

SjA3837

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I guess I should add that I think Fred's minutes are a surpise because he isn't playing all that well. I'd have thought that some of our newer players would be getting those minutes.
    They could just be trying to get Freds stock up, to set up a trade before the trade deadline. It would be kind of hard to trade a bench warmer, for anything valuable.

SoThenRobbieSaid

I guess I have to start somewhere. I've been reading the forums for quite some time, and every now and then I'd like to add my 2 1/2 cents, but I never do. I'm losing my PD virginity (under a Pacer subject).

As far as Fred's defense, it's important to take into account that he was guarding D. Wade, who isn't called Flash because he likes showing off his "basketball equipment". We had Granger on him, Artest for a while, Jones...pretty much anyone in a blue uniform and he still rattled off 31 points. I thought Freddie did a solid job on D, and managed to stay in front of Wade on numerous occassions. Wade also gets free via pick and roll an awful lot, and screens away from the ball, and very rarely isolates 1 on 1 (althought it did seem like when the set play didn't work out, it was option 2: throw it to Wade and let him create), which makes it unfair to say Freddie is going against JUST D. Wade on iso plays.

All that being said, I don't think I would have anyone else on Wade at the end of the game than Freddie, and if Rick feels the same, they must be pretty confident he'll be able to get the job done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    Fred was terrible defensively that game.
    Wow. Hard to comment on that statement without using inflammatory or insulting language, so I won't.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As in, "you're absolutely right?"

Roy, I know the Fred Jones thing is personal for you, and that's cool. But by almost all objective standards he isn't playing well at either end of the court, he's in danger of losing minutes to AJ or Sarunas, the contract situation is probably bothering him (and its hard to blame him, given that this team has a history of generously overpaying its draft picks when its time to re-sign them), and he's likely to be trade bait. In fact, if I were the Pacers, with their backcourt depth and salary situation, I'd trade him for a future #1. I'm not even sure they'd want a current player in return.

It must've been someplace else, but I know I've said recently that (IMO, of course) the only reason he's getting minutes right now is because he's being showcased for a trade.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204

It must've been someplace else, but I know I've said recently that (IMO, of course) the only reason he's getting minutes right now is because he's being showcased for a trade.
    It helps (both sides actually) if the person you are showcasing has good games...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden