Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How'd Bender Do Against the Heat?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: How'd Bender Do Against the Heat?

DW's two biggest mistakes, Bender and Pollard, have really been an albatross to the Pacers the past couple of seasons. They're making all that money while routinely missing games.

The Pacers should package them together and trade them for an expiring contract. I don't even care if that guy can play or not I'm that sick of them both.

edit:
    P.S. - Incomparison to Bender, Austin Croshere has been a complete bargain.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see anything wrong with bball's agenda. Until Bender actually proves him wrong by playing, he's right.

Thanks to Bender always living down to bball's expectations, its become a boring topic for many. So just move on if you don't want to read it. But there's no reason to silence a prophet.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Silence a prophet?....please.... everyone reads the same articles and watches the same goddam games. Everyone knows how injured he's been the last three seasons...and pretty much everyone at this point has little to no expectations for him. Yeah it sucks, we all hate the situation and the money thats been tied up....was it a mistake?....apparently....its easy to call it a mistake in hindsight.....does it make things better to have a issue of it nearly everyday?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well looks like I'm going to be dissapointed again this season. I guess I should be used to it. I just can hellp but hope Bender does good.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I have to agree. There's been a lot of funny stuff along the way, but sooner or later it gets old. That time's here for me, personally.
    If we're voting add me to "sick and tired of hearing the same old crap about Bender." The fact is he's not going to play every game this year. He's not going to play the 2nd game of a back to back. We all know he has bad knees. We can *****, ****, and moan about it every freakin' day, but it's not going to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    If we're voting add me to "sick and tired of hearing the same old crap about Bender." The fact is he's not going to play every game this year. He's not going to play the 2nd game of a back to back. We all know he has bad knees. We can *****, ****, and moan about it every freakin' day, but it's not going to change anything.
    Silly me... when he played fairly well at Orlando but only played 8 minutes, and Carlisle dismissed his limited time as due to matchups, I ASSUMED they were saving him so he would be able to play a few minutes against the Heat. I didn't really see a reason for Carlisle to make any excuses for him at this point.

I was hoping his not playing last night was not due to his knees but I had little expectation that was the case.

Yes, I guess I am ascerbic when the topic of Bender rolls around these days. I believed we had a second opportunity to rectify a mistake (the first was not signing him to an extension) by making Bender the amnesty victim. So here we are, going down the same path again- Bender in street clothes.

I'd understand the 'not playing in back to backs' if he played real minutes in the first game or if it was a physical game but Orlando was neither. And it appears Carlisle intended for him to play this game.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'm going to stand in Bballs corner on this one. We all have subjects we like to favor more than others. To mention a few...

Peck + Anything related to Dale Davis
    Sassan + Reggie
    Soup + David Harrison
    Uncle Buck+ Ron Artest
    Peck and Bball vs. Donnie Walsh
    Antonio vs. Dale

I was wondering myself why Bender didn't play until I read the paper.

Personally I'm tired of the topic as well b/c it is what it is. Until he can prove otherwise, I think we are all under the assumption that Bender will give us nothing more than token efforts that will be quickly followed with an injury.

This isn't to come down on the guy or to give the guy props. With Bender as well as many other things in life, history tends to repeat itself. I do hope there is a day that Bender is able to play. Not only b/c we are paying him good cheese to do so, but also b/c I am sure it is tough on him as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I ASSUMED they were saving him so he would be able to play a few minutes against the Heat.
    Silly Bball, hasn't anybody ever told you what happens when you assume?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by waxman
    Silence a prophet?....please.... everyone reads the same articles and watches the same goddam games. Everyone knows how injured he's been the last three seasons...and pretty much everyone at this point has little to no expectations for him. Yeah it sucks, we all hate the situation and the money thats been tied up....was it a mistake?....apparently....its easy to call it a mistake in hindsight.....does it make things better to have a issue of it nearly everyday?
    This has gone beyond injury prone, and it's short-sighted of you to try to say he's just been injured a lot the last 3 years. What Bender "is" now is a chronically injured player. There's either one of two scenarios playing out right now, and both of them are hugely frustrating.

The first scenario is that Bender's knee is what it is, and this is going to be how it is for the rest of his career. His knee will never get any better, but it will never get any worse. He'll play out his contract, then he'll sign for a very small amount to a team that understands his limitations. At some point, he'll realize that the veteran's minimum isn't worth the pain and soreness, and he'll retire, likely at the ripe age of 27 or 28. This is a bad situation because it's like having half a player. It's even worse than an aging veteran, because you can limit the vet's minutes, and he'll play every game. With Bender, you know he's going to miss 10-20 games every season, just due to back to backs. You throw in miscellaneous illnesses/injuries, and you'll be fortunate to get 50 games a year from him. On top of that, he'll be playing just enough games that you can't waive him under the injured player clause.

The second (and I suspect more likely) scenario is that Bender could have that scar tissue/damage removed from his knee. They may have told him that he may or may not lose the athleticism that his game is based around, but he'll be able to walk and excercise pain free. This frightens Bender, because he realizes that if he loses what makes him special, he'll never have another chance to make the kind of money he's making now. Also, there's the slim chance it could get botched, and the gravy train gets derailed immediately. Far better for Bender to play out his contract and try to milk it for as much as possible, then retire, have the surgery, and live off of the interest.

I don't mind the constant Bender threads, because they're all true, and they're all representative of the frustration represented by no less than 3 years of lies propagated by the Pacers/Jon Bender Spin Machine. Bender was supposedly healthy this year, right? All we heard was that Jonathan Bender was pain free after spending the off-season with Dan Dyrek and was playing with no pain or swelling during scrimmages. The first red flag was when he only played one summer league game. The second was when he was convenienty held out of back to backs as a "precautionary measure" that we were all reassured would be nothing serious, and essentially not an issue during the regular season.

So now, here's where we stand with Jon Bender:

No back to back games. Ever. Don't even ask.
    He'll be missing some games that aren't back to backs.

Does this sound familiar? It should, it was the same situation as last year. All we're missing now is for him to play a couple more games, and then tell the world that the pain is too bad, and he's shutting it down for a while to rehab (after he plays enough games that we can't cut him with the Chronically Injured Player Clause, of course).

Now, having said all that, what part of this should we *not* be pissed about? Honestly, there should be *more* Bender threads, not less. The fact that you guys accept it so stoically says to me that you've become numb to the issue. That's ok, I forgive you for ragging on those of us who still care.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    Now, having said all that, what part of this should we *not* be pissed about? Honestly, there should be *more* Bender threads, not less. The fact that you guys accept it so stoically says to me that you've become numb to the issue. That's ok, I forgive you for ragging on those of us who still care.
    Oh goody, just what we need, more Bender threads. I think you're confusing stoically numb with sick of hearing about it. If this is, as you suggest, par for the course, then why in the hell would you even bother to care anymore? At some point I would think you'd get wise and move on.

Honestly, there should be *more* Bender threads, not less.
    You're exactly right. Here's more subjects there should be multiple daily threads on.

Jeff Foster is hurt, again
    The Brawl
    Dale Davis is a traitor
    The Brawl
    Ron Artest is a nutcase
    The Brawl
    We traded Brad Miller for Scot Freakin' Pollard
    The Brawl
    We traded JJ for a 2nd round pick
    The Brawl
    We left Primoz Brezec unprotected
    The Brawl
    Jamaal's always hurt come playoff time
    The Brawl
    NBA officiating sucks ***
    The Brawl
    Reggie retired
    The Brawl
    Rik Smits was always hurt
    The Brawl
    Travis Best dribbled too much
    The Brawl
    Derrick McKey didn't shoot enough
    The Brawl
    Stern giftwrapped Ewing to NY
    The Brawl
    We gave away the chance to draft MJ
    The Brawl
    Those St. Louis owners still get 10% of our TV money
    The Brawl

Not to mention the 1881 reasons why I don't get tickets anymore.

Screw those idiots who have the power to accept the things they can't change, we need to ***** more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    You're exactly right. Here's more subjects there should be multiple daily threads on.

The Brawl
    Dale Davis is a traitor
    The Brawl
    Ron Artest is a nutcase
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    Reggie retired
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl

Screw those idiots who have the power to accept the things they can't change, we need to ***** more!
    i really enjoyed this post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by abington
    i really enjoyed this post.
    Yep. Me too.

He decided he wouldn't play?

I am going to just not talk about this much other than to say this.

We were going to start him over Austin Croshere? The World Ain't Right.

Well, I guess I will add one other thing.

Jon (& his fans) have got to learn one thing. There is a differance between soreness & pain.

If he thinks he is going to play without his knee being sore then he might as well hang it up now. Soreness will probably be with him for the rest of his life.

Pain, now if he is in pain that is a differant story. But I've yet to read one article that has ever called his knee painfull since the midway point of last year.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I thought soreness was a type of pain?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I assumed he meant "sore" vs. "injured" but that isn't what he said.

Its like when the kids want to play hookey and claim they "don't feel good" but they aren't really "sick."

That makes sense. I don't really know the details of Bender's injury though, so I'm not going to make any assumptions about that.

Jay, where are those quotes from?

Which quotes?

Your siggy.

Oh, those...

Various coaching/ basketball books I've read recently.

I think there's a Bob Hill quote about tempo, and an Oscar Robertson quote, and I'm going to have to go look at my signature (I've got them turned off because they just overwhelm my blackberry) to remember what all is there...

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    That makes sense. I don't really know the details of Bender's injury though, so I'm not going to make any assumptions about that.

Jay, where are those quotes from?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no injury.

He is supposedly suffering from not properly healing from some previous injury. Or some birth defect. Or some hereditary thing. Or whatever else it is they tell us this week.

I'll just say this so both of us can understand.

Jon has had no surgery to his knee. David Harrison had knee ending surgery last season.

Which one in your mind would have the long term knee pain that would require continued rest & rehab?

Now if you think that is an unfair comparison try this. Al Harrington blew out his knee. BLEW it out. He missed a season & to the best of my knowledge has not missed one game since due to soreness in the knee.

When asked about Knee pain Al just said, yea it's there you just have to play through it.

Jermaine O'Neal had his shoulder dislocated & was back in less than 3 months without sitting out a game for soreness.

I could go on & on but what would be the point.

I hate this because when I've seen Jon play this year I've actually been impressed & started to sip from the kool aide cup. But then he goes & does this & I remember why I made the statement that Artest looked better & better each day.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

The Brawl
    Dale Davis is a traitor
    The Brawl
    Ron Artest is a nutcase
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    Reggie retired
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl
    The Brawl

I can't believe I'm getting lectured about repetitiveness from the guy who spent the entire off-season crying about how he's not renewing his season tickets, why he's not renewing his season tickets, why relatives aren't renewing their season tickets, and why other people shouldn't renew their season tickets.

Otherwise, I'm glad you see it my way, as that pretty much sums up every post since the inception of PD. Oh, except for the Random Thoughts thread.

If you're so upset by all of the Bender talk, go ahead and give us one definitive post on exactly what is wrong with Bender, why it is the way it is, if it's fixable, and if so, how it's going to get there. Oh, and make sure you have facts, and make sure everyone agrees with you.

Otherwise, maybe you should quit *****ing, because some of us actually enjoy speculating about things, even if it's repetitive and inconclusive. Or better yet, get with the mods and give us a list of on-topic Pacers related items that we're not allowed to talk about, just so we don't ruffle your feathers. That way, when we're out of line talking about the Pacers, you can just ban us and only talk about the Forum gathering, or MagicRat's latest Photoshop job, or the hottest Pacemate.

Short version of it? You don't have to click on the link. You knew what this would be about before you clicked it. You clicked it anyway, and then you have the nerve to be upset now that you've clicked a thread you knew you wouldn't like, and you don't like it.....?

It's kinda funny that anyone on here would complain about repetitive threads about Bender when at least 1/2 of all the threads on this messageboard are nothing more than cut and pasted news articles......

hmmmm.....

Is is possible that the team could be considering the disabled player clause with Bender. That's about the only chance we have of getting near the tax threshold. From what I understand a player can't play in more then 7 games to be released as disabled. If Bender has no chance on ever contributing on a nightly basis, this may be applicable. If there's a good chance that he could eventually contribute, I'd say keep him. If not, it's not worth his salary, and the tax that goes with it.

I can't believe I'm getting lectured about repetitiveness from the guy who spent the entire off-season crying about how he's not renewing his season tickets, why he's not renewing his season tickets, why relatives aren't renewing their season tickets, and why other people shouldn't renew their season tickets.

Otherwise, I'm glad you see it my way, as that pretty much sums up every post since the inception of PD. Oh, except for the Random Thoughts thread.

If you're so upset by all of the Bender talk, go ahead and give us one definitive post on exactly what is wrong with Bender, why it is the way it is, if it's fixable, and if so, how it's going to get there. Oh, and make sure you have facts, and make sure everyone agrees with you.

Otherwise, maybe you should quit *****ing, because some of us actually enjoy speculating about things, even if it's repetitive and inconclusive. Or better yet, get with the mods and give us a list of on-topic Pacers related items that we're not allowed to talk about, just so we don't ruffle your feathers. That way, when we're out of line talking about the Pacers, you can just ban us and only talk about the Forum gathering, or MagicRat's latest Photoshop job, or the hottest Pacemate.

Short version of it? You don't have to click on the link. You knew what this would be about before you clicked it. You clicked it anyway, and then you have the nerve to be upset now that you've clicked a thread you knew you wouldn't like, and you don't like it.....?
    I know I've really gotten under somebody's skin when they use Pacemates against me.

Speaking of under somebody's skin, I'll go back to what I always say when people say there's nothing wrong with JB's knee (are you paying attention, Peck?)

A year or two ago, it was reported that his kneecap was not stable, that it was loose and literally moving around under the skin. Now, I don't know about you, but if I felt a bone swimming around where it shouldn't be, I wouldn't be walking on it, let alone playing a full contact sport.

Now, as to why he hasn't had surgery, I'm sure we'd all know if it wasn't for that damn HIPAA. I thought Larry kicking David Craig upstairs was magically going to fix all of our medical problems. (I know the 12-year old kid in the baggy dress shirt sitting on the bench now certainly makes me feel we're in good hands.)

If JB's refusing surgery, then we should have cut him in August. If the team's given up on him, then we should have cut him in August. But we kept him, thanks to, if nothing else, Donnie and Larry's combined egos, and the dreaded P word.

Everyone, even probably the Cabbage Patch Kids who hadn't even heard of the Pacers until this summer, decided where they stood on Bender years ago, because the situation hasn't changed for years. Listen to Rat's recording of Rick's show, it's obvious he stopped caring a long time ago. If he play's, he play's, if he doesn't, he doesn't. But if you really feel we need to have more threads, then why don't you save everyone's time and just copy this one every other day, because nothing's going to change, not the situation, nor people's opinions on it. Most of us accepted that a long time ago. I'm sorry you haven't.