Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal = Clutch

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal = Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was his undershirt bothering any of you guys?
    I thought one time when he was waiting to rebound a free throw and was leaning into the lane it looked like I could see the outline of some padding. I'm wondering if the shirt was part of some sort of flak jacket in preparation of guarding Shaq?

StephanJackson1

Jermaine is clutch and he is going to win the mvp.

One of the things I used to rag on JO was the fact that he in fact was not clutch. However, as the years have went on he has really matured in that regard. However, I'm still not ready to mention him in the same breath as guys like Reggie, Jordan, Bird..etc.

When everybody in the building knows he is taking the last shot, there are 5 seconds left in the game, and he routinely puts it in the hole... then he'll get that distinction from me. He doesn't have to be able to do those heroics to be an outstanding player, but when you can do those things... you are really clutch. He will get his opportunities to prove himself this year without #31 in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by masobczyk
    i wouldn't call him clutch just yet but he stepped it up big time. the free throws were huge.
    Why cant you call this clutch? If you can score, with jumpers like that, in final minutes, in the beginning of the season (without playing a lot of minutes to get in some kind of vorm), against one of the best teams in the league, than when can you?
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Quote Originally Posted by DEEman
    Why cant you call this clutch? If you can score, with jumpers like that, in final minutes, in the beginning of the season (without playing a lot of minutes to get in some kind of vorm), against one of the best teams in the league, than when can you?
    Tonight's performane was, but Jermaine has had a lot of last-second screwups so he's withholding judgement until he knows that this is a permenant thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

in recent seasons, JO's had many more last minute successes than failures.

In Isiah's last season, he and Chauncey Billups were tied for "most lead-changing FGs made in the last two minutes".

JO is not as mentally tough as I'd like at times, but I can certainly recall Reggie jumping on JO's back to celebrate JO's clutch performances many times. Some of you, I think, have been in denial about that for years.

But what do I know, I'm the leader of the haters.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Tonight's performane was, but Jermaine has had a lot of last-second screwups so he's withholding judgement until he knows that this is a permenant thing.

I totally disagree with that statement. He may have missed some shots in the clutch but that doesn't equal a screw-up. If so, Reggie has had a ton of screw-ups throughout the years.

Since 04', when he was in the top 5 in total clutch points on NBA.com, JO has saved as many games as Reggie in that same span - maybe even more.

The thing I like about Jermaine is that he steps it up on both ends of the floor in the clutch. I can't help but remember Game 7 last year against Boston or the game saving block in the last minute of Game 6 against Miami in 04'.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Well, if you think JO has been clutch or not, I still say things will be different this year. With Reggie Miller on the floor, defenses were certainly more interested in neutralizing Reggie than anybody else. One could argue that JO had an easier time at taking shots b/c they weren't keying on him.

There was a time where I never thought JO would ever develop into a clutch guy. I had the bad taste in my mouth of watching Jalen Rose die in the last minutes, and JO looked to be much the same. However, he was young and maturing.

I do think he could be "the" guy in the last minutes of a game, but this is the first year he has the chance to earn that reputation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO is a beast. I think JO is clutch. DO you guys remember the Pistons game a couple of seasons back when he hit that shot that took 20 minutes to review. Oh yeah, JO is clutch.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I have been suspicious in the past, but I am getting more and more comfortable with JO in the clutch. I believe he has the heart of a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I thought one time when he was waiting to rebound a free throw and was leaning into the lane it looked like I could see the outline of some padding. I'm wondering if the shirt was part of some sort of flak jacket in preparation of guarding Shaq?
    I think its for his shoulder, he wore it last year in the playoffs too. Guess it is some kind of protective shirt.

I don't care if he wears that stupid little bandaid on his face like Nelly as long as we win.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I think she just wishes it was shirts vs. skins.
    Not if Shaq is skins.

Quote Originally Posted by DEEman
    this is true and I was impressed with the way JO played. He always shows a lot of heart out there. I just want to see him do it in the playoffs. I know he has been hurt the past few postseasons and we're two games into the season but that is what I'm waiting for.

JO does very well at the end of games unless it's an All-Star game and Jordan just hit the winning shot.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

As far as I know, JO has been wearing that "padding" since preseason...Just for precautions probably

Quote Originally Posted by brichard
    When everybody in the building knows he is taking the last shot, there are 5 seconds left in the game, and he routinely puts it in the hole... then he'll get that distinction from me.

Then no one fits that description. Everyone remembers the shots that Reggie, MJ, and Bird hit, but few remember the ones that they missed.

Each of those players have missed more clutch shots than they have hit.

Here's a great quote by Jordan on the subject.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
    -Michael Jordan

http://www.coachmeyer.com/main.html

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    Then no one fits that description. Everyone remembers the shots that Reggie, MJ, and Bird hit, but few remember the ones that they missed.

Each of those players have missed more clutch shots than they have hit.

Here's a great quote by Jordan on the subject.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
    -Michael Jordan

http://www.coachmeyer.com/main.html
    I guess we will need a statistician to see who is right, but I would guess that if you find out how many times Jordan won with the last shot vs. lost... the wins will be far greater than the losses. With all the "Jordan" fouls called in the last minutes of the game, do you remember how many times he iced a game with a shot or a free throw? He probably won 26 games vs. the Pacers alone over his career.

I've also watched Bird and Johnson in their prime, and it was uncanny how they could hit those shots. There is a reason everybody in the building expects the ball to go in, it is because it has happened so many times.

Nobody hits the game winner every single time, so to expect that would be naive. But I do think that there are those who hit more than they miss in crunch time. There is a reason people fear Robert Horry in the last minute of a game. A similar quote is oft used with Reggie Jackson re: how many times he struck out, but also how many home runs he had. I get the whole risk/reward, goat/hero thing implied by the Jordan quote.

For the record, I do think Reggie slipped the last few years and he was missing some shots he made in his prime. He gave us some good games and hit some buzzer beaters, but he was missing much more frequently. Or so it seems to me and my friends when discussing the subject.

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

A clutch player to me is someone that hits a big shot when the team needs it most.

JO is the definition of clutch.
    IE: last night with about three mins to play... pacers are only up 3-6 points a different times, The Heat are on a run of hitting shot after shot, The pacers O is stagnate and shots are not falling. JO then took the team on his back and hit shot after shot after shot to kill the Heat run and change the flow of the game. It was not the first time he has done that and it will not be the last.

Ron has done the same... and even AJ has done this.

While the "down two with the ball and 5sec on the clock" shot is a clutch shot, it is not the only cluth shot in the course of a game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by t1hs0n
    While the "down two with the ball and 5sec on the clock" shot is a clutch shot, it is not the only cluth shot in the course of a game.
    Hopefully, the Pacers can avoid those situations as much as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!