Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please JO, not again this year

Default Please JO, not again this year

That stupid stare after he dunks like he really did something special. I could even see people laughing at him.

Great JO, you can DUNK!! Now please get your a** back on defense and act like a mature professional.

I think that's the immaturity that some on here and about speak of.

Default Re: Please JO, not again this year

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That stupid stare after he dunks like he really did something special. I could even see people laughing at him.

Great JO, you can DUNK!! Now please get your a** back on defense and act like a mature professional.

Ah, I equate it to Mutombo's finger waving or the fatoine shuffle....not the greatest thing to be doing, but it gets the crowd and his teammates a little fired up by it. I would rather he have some signature move that he could do while running down the court getting back on defense (agree with you totally there)...

I was more worried about how he started the game with a couple whines to the refs following an unfavorable call. I don't know if I just quit noticing or if JO quit whining, but I don't recall any specific times where he whined alot after the first couple minutes of the game.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought this thread was going to be about JO's knack for posting up 18 feet from the basket and shooting turn around jumpers that clank off the rim. I don't care what he does after a dunk as long as he gets back on defense.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I kinda like it when he does that.I also like that after he rejects a shot, he wags his finger.

But I agree that sometimes he takes a while to get back.

Right on target. The first half was starting to look like a repeat from previous seasons. Plus JO's lack of interest in getting rebounds, but in the 2nd half he redeemed himself and that's the JO I want to see.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    Ah, I equate it to Mutombo's finger waving or the fatoine shuffle....not the greatest thing to be doing, but it gets the crowd and his teammates a little fired up by it. I would rather he have some signature move that he could do while running down the court getting back on defense (agree with you totally there)...

I was more worried about how he started the game with a couple whines to the refs following an unfavorable call. I don't know if I just quit noticing or if JO quit whining, but I don't recall any specific times where he whined alot after the first couple minutes of the game.
    A team led by Jermaine O'Neal will not win a championship.

JO has started the season doing the very things that show me he's a talk tough leader, but that's about it: whining and posturing.

What was sad about his little glare is look at the situation. This wasn't a playoff game. This wasn't even a division game. And it's againt Orlando. He felt the need to posture against them?

I wondered if the crowd kinda laughed at him cause I thought it looked stupid at home. It just looked like false bravado. It's like the watching a high schooler beat up a jr high kid, then thump his chest. He was supposed to win.

You know when you give a staredown?

When it's a Knicks/Pacers playoff game and Dale Davis lays a pick on Charles Oakley so hard it puts his *** on the floor. That's when a staredown is effective.

When Jordan is going off for 50 points and the other team can't stop him after telling the media they can "contain" him. That's when a staredown is effective.

Mutombo's finger wag was born of him being a dominant force in the paint. You literally didn't try to take stuff in there. It was born of him being four time defensive player of the year! Deke has earned the right to wag his finger. That has some weight behind it when he does it.

Jermaine wasn't even dominant in the game!! At least that might make it a little better. As it stands, he just looked like a posturing idiot.

I'd say the same thing to Antoine as I would to Jermaine. Pick the right situations and earn the right to have a "signature move".
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Again, who cares?? Are we watching basketball or judging a person? Did Shaq or did not Shaq did his lil thing everytime he dunked? Did he win a championship? It's basketball, as long as you get the play done and get W's, you can do a freaking backflip, who cares?

Who cares ????!!!?
    Because the rest of the team is moving down the court, getting back on defense, and doing their jobs, while one guy, who is supposed to be the leader of the team, is trying to point out that his **** is bigger than someone else's.
    That's why we care.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

thought_criminal

It's still pretty unprofessional. The Pacers are trying to improve their image.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Michael Jordan stared down people after he dunked on them. Reggie Miller stared down opposing teams benches after he hit a 3 in the corner. Those were 2 of the most professional guys in NBA history.

StephanJackson1

When he stares after he dunks that just gets him pumped up and he plays better

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    A team led by Jermaine O'Neal will not win a championship.

JO has started the season doing the very things that show me he's a talk tough leader, but that's about it: whining and posturing.

What was sad about his little glare is look at the situation. This wasn't a playoff game. This wasn't even a division game. And it's againt Orlando. He felt the need to posture against them?

I wondered if the crowd kinda laughed at him cause I thought it looked stupid at home. It just looked like false bravado. It's like the watching a high schooler beat up a jr high kid, then thump his chest. He was supposed to win.

You know when you give a staredown?

When it's a Knicks/Pacers playoff game and Dale Davis lays a pick on Charles Oakley so hard it puts his *** on the floor. That's when a staredown is effective.

When Jordan is going off for 50 points and the other team can't stop him after telling the media they can "contain" him. That's when a staredown is effective.

Mutombo's finger wag was born of him being a dominant force in the paint. You literally didn't try to take stuff in there. It was born of him being four time defensive player of the year! Deke has earned the right to wag his finger. That has some weight behind it when he does it.

Jermaine wasn't even dominant in the game!! At least that might make it a little better. As it stands, he just looked like a posturing idiot.

I'd say the same thing to Antoine as I would to Jermaine. Pick the right situations and earn the right to have a "signature move".

Very nice post.

That was my point exactly, there's a time and a place for everything, but it's not the first game of the season against a Magic team without any HUGE defensive presence in the middle.

It's like making a touchdown and spending an hour dancing and acting a fool. Of course this is defferent because he needs to be getting back on "D".

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    Michael Jordan stared down people after he dunked on them. Reggie Miller stared down opposing teams benches after he hit a 3 in the corner. Those were 2 of the most professional guys in NBA history.
    So MJ would stand there under the basket and stare down the crowd like he just saved the world while everyone else is back on "D"?

I think not.

Harmonica

I wish JO would study Duncan's demeanor and simply play like a tacit enforcer.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So MJ would stand there under the basket and stare down the crowd like he just saved the world while everyone else is back on "D"?

I think not.

JO wasn't beat down court by his man was he? I don't think so, I remember Mike dunking on Mutombo and getting a tech. I never seen that happen to JO.
    Your just crying imo.

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    JO wasn't beat down court by his man was he? I don't think so, I remember Mike dunking on Mutombo and getting a tech. I never seen that happen to JO.
    Your just crying imo.
    Okay...is it just me, or did analogy make absolutly NO sense and bear no relationship on what we're talking about?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Okay...is it just me, or did analogy make absolutly NO sense and bear no relationship on what we're talking about?

Thank you, I thought I was going crazy there for a minute.

This is a competitive, physical game and while I have never personally dunked on someone, i am sure it is a very excitable action. All he does is make an intense face, while running down court to get back on "D", no less. He doesnt stand there and grandstand. I don't see this as posturing at all. He is an emotional guy. He just dunked on somebody. I would make a face as well.

Furthermore, just because you name is MJ, or you won DPOY forty times, shouldn't allow for justification if something like this bothers you.
    :thepacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike was doing basically the same thing JO was doing. I don't think it really effects the game that much. I don't agree with him doing it but it's not that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    I wish JO would study Duncan's demeanor and simply play like a tacit enforcer.

Exactly, do your job and move on. Duncan is a perfect example of professionalism. He's the Marvin Harrison of Basketball IMO. I love nothing more than to see Marvin get a TD and simply hand the ball to the ref and go back to the bench as if he didn't do anything that great. hell, and that's a TD. Not just a dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by BluBlood
    This is a competitive, physical game and while I have never personally dunked on someone, i am sure it is a very excitable action. All he does is make an intense face, while running down court to get back on "D", no less. He doesnt stand there and grandstand. I don't see this as posturing at all. He is an emotional guy. He just dunked on somebody. I would make a face as well.

Furthermore, just because you name is MJ, or you won DPOY forty times, shouldn't allow for justification if something like this bothers you.
    I'm sorry but you might want to look at that again. Everytime he dunked he stood there for 2-3 seconds looking at the fans behind the basket. then would he turn and get back on "D".

My point is, it's not professional IMO. For a team that has supposedly "matured" it doesn't sit well with me. Especially when you've deemed yourself as the leader.

I try to set an example as the head of my household. Everytime I pay a huge bill I don't run outside, put it in my mailbox, and stare down my neighbors.

Mark and Slick gave the team kudos for their demeanor last night.....

Could this be the reason though we see Jermaine's shoes being sold and not Duncan's?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

and overall the team's demeanor wasn't that bad at all. It was just the JO thing that stood out for me.

What I am getting sick of hearing is, every station that's doing highlights of this game are saying that it went off without incident for Ron Artest.

I realize the reasoning but man, c'mon.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry but you might want to look at that again. Everytime he dunked he stood there for 2-3 seconds looking at the fans behind the basket. then would he turn and get back on "D".

My point is, it's not professional IMO. For a team that has supposedly "matured" it doesn't sit well with me. Especially when you've deemed yourself as the leader.

I try to set an example as the head of my household. Everytime I pay a huge bill I don't run outside, put it in my mailbox, and stare down my neighbors.

I just want to ask you one more question. When #31 hit a three and stared down the other teams bench, how does that differ from what JO does?