Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you guys see Rip Hamilton last night?

Default Re: Did you guys see Rip Hamilton last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know who guards Rip really well?

James Jones.
    That sounds completely bogus. But if true, Granger should do at least as well. They're both SF/PFs. And I know Granger plays D.

I would think Artest would get the assignment on Rip and SJax would get Prince. Remember SJax is a bit taller than Artest so matchup wise I think it could work well.

Good points Beast....

to go along with getting easy baskets off turnovers I think its essential to get some quick hitting early offense....before Detroits D has time to settle in.

And i'm Not talking about jacking up 3's with 18 seconds still on the shot clock....but pushing it occasionally after made buckets and have JO, DH, Ron, or Jack flash through the lane and seal their defender in the post before the D can double hard. We did a little of that last night with Harrison.

We kinda got away from doing that last year....but we've done it more often in previous seasons.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

On the Pacers roster the best at guarding Rip, IMHO, are:

1. AJ - the only problem is he's usually guarding Billups.
    2. Stephen Jackson - he did an excellent job on Tayshaun last year and I think he can keep up with Rip.
    3. Tinsley - the only shortcoming I can see with this is that Jamaal has a tendency to grab his man when cutting around screens. The refs would be all over him if he did that.
    4. Bender. That's right, Jon Bender! He's not that quick but he was able to get his lanky frame around the screens in 2004 and with his height, he really bothered Rip's shot. Too bad he was inept on the offensive end in '04 and unavailable in '05.

I didn't bring Artest up because He's not quick enough and too big to get around those tight Detroit screens. Fred is the absolute worse at guarding him, IMO. He's just too short and a step slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Yeah, let Rip get 30 - 35 points, he'll still only amass 3 rebounds and 2 assists.
    You mean the same guy that averaged 5 assists last year? And had 6 boards and 3 assists last night to go along with his 37 points?

Fred guards him SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than most here think. I guess you just look at the point totals? There were 2 games in particular where Freddie was just all OVER him, not a breath between them, Hamilton double pumping and doing everything he could just to get a shot off. And draining them. Now most of you would look at the baskets he made. I look at how HARD he had to work for them. And Freddie makes him work. Big time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    To tell you the truth....we don't really know the Piston's offense is going to be in a couple of months. KStat will probably need to answer.....but I am guessing that the offensive style of Flip is way different then Larry Brown's offense. I am hoping that what we saw yesterday with the Pistons isn't a sign of things to come.....I don't know if the style of the game is slower or faster....but putting up 100+ points against the Sixers while keeping them under 90 points is pretty good to me.

Rip being a offensive problem for the Pacers isn't something new.....he has always been a problem for ANY team......including the Pacers. What I don't know is....based off of last season's performance....did SJax cover Rip? Or did Freddie cover Rip?

Since SJax was primarily playing SF....I don't know who was guarding Rip last season....Freddie or SJax ( with JJ switching to SF ).

We won't play slow-ball anymore. Anybody who saw the game last night could see that.

We had 4-5 plays where we caught philly napping and inbounded the ball 90 feet to billups leaking down the court off of made baskets.

Our motion offense allows for a lot of quick shots. Whomever is open can shoot. Flip doesn't care who shoots, so long as it's a good shot.

Our bench also plays a huge factor in this. Our starters sat for large gaps in the middle quarters, and Arroyo, Dice and Mo Evans came out and did a great job. Darko was ok for essentially his first real game, but he bought Ben Wallace 8 minutes of rest in the 2nd qtr. Even Delfino had an explosive Ginobili-style dunk, despite the fact Rip was too hot to play him much.

At one point last night, we hit 18 out of 20 shots.

Rip didn't get his 37 because we were forcing the ball to him, he scored 37 because our motion offense made the defense chase 2 or 3 guys off screens, and they weren't able to concentrate on just Rip.

I've beena HUGE Flip Saunders fan, and last night was an example why. He lets his players play. The Pistons are a unique team that will play hard defensively no matter what style they use or how lax their coach is, but I love Flip because he's one of the best in the NBA and divising offenses around his talent.

We still win with defense, but we no longer slow the tempo down, as we showed last night agaunst Philly.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Anubis04

Quote Originally Posted by brs14ku
    Maybe you are right, but the difference in speed and all around quickness is alarming.
    Not really, if u look back to the brawl game, the only one where we had jackson guarding rip, jack did a fine job in containing rip...of course thats only one game...but its the only we have to look at...

I like Jax on Rip. He slides around screens pretty well, and is long enough to bother Rip's shot. Also, as has been said, Jax can dominate Rip on the offensive end. Post him up and get him in foul trouble, or wait for the double team and wait for the pass. Regardless, Jax is one of those players I'm sure Rip doesn't like to see on a regular basis.

Granger could be decent against him, but he's a rook, he'll have hit the wall by then, and that's a LOT of pressure for a rookie.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another thing I noticed last night was that it seems that Saunders takes the shackles off the point guards. Arroyo is a true PG who knows how to run a team. And the two years Larry Brown spent molding Chauncey Billups into being more of a true PG instead of a scoring combo guard are going to pay huge dividends if last night was any indication. Billups didn't even look to score much, especially in the first half.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "