Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you guys see Rip Hamilton last night?

brs14ku

Default Did you guys see Rip Hamilton last night?

He is going to tear us up with Freddie trying to guard him. I am dead scared of him. Not only will Freddie be in immediate foul trouble but he....can't exactly counteract him on the offensive end. We will miss reggie more than ever when its time to play Detroit.
    Rip could score 30 a game on us this year.
    Just my scaredy pants rant.

Default Re: Did you guys see Rip Hamilton last night?

I thought Jackson would get that assignment?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't think losing Reggie is the difference, he wasn't all that good at guarding Rip anyway.

Jackson is fast, and can keep up. You're right about possible mis-matches with Freddie (and here's a scary thought - a switch to Sarunas).

I still put us at 50/50 with the Pistons, though I guess Reggie thinks that's too generous.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As bad as Fred has been playing, and considering we don't play Detroit for months, I doubt that he'll either be (1) in the rotation (replaced by Saras), and (possibly) (2) still on the Pacers by the time we have to pick someone to guard Rip.

Besides, with a guy that uses as many screens as Rip, you have to design a team defense to deal with that. There's no one-on-one defender that can match up with him.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

brs14ku

I hope you guys are right that he will be replaced with someone else to guard Rip. However, it is guaranteed that whoever guards him will get in foul trouble. Meaning we need to solid defensive options against him. I really dont think we have that.

Also, is Jacko really going to be the one guarding him. Sure he is the 2 but he would be a terrible mismatch trying to guard Rip. Or will we possibly put Ron on him. Ron isn't fast enough either though. That is why I said Freddie. He is probably the only one that can run with Rip.

brs14ku

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Besides, with a guy that uses as many screens as Rip, you have to design a team defense to deal with that. There's no one-on-one defender that can match up with him.
    True but it doesnt hurt to have someone that can basically matchup with him. Because help defense will kill you against a good passing team like the Pistons. Especially when they dish to Rasheed or Tayshaun, or Billups for three.

Jack is not a terrible mismatch for Rip. He uses his length to help him keep Rip in front of him. As for chasing around screens, he's no worse than Fred at that.

brs14ku

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Jack is not a terrible mismatch for Rip. He uses his length to help him keep Rip in front of him. As for chasing around screens, he's no worse than Fred at that.

Maybe you are right, but the difference in speed and all around quickness is alarming.

Let Rip gets his 30, just contain everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by brs14ku
    True but it doesnt hurt to have someone that can basically matchup with him. Because help defense will kill you against a good passing team like the Pistons. Especially when they dish to Rasheed or Tayshaun, or Billups for three.
    True. Great offense *will* beat great defense most of the time.

The Pistons aren't high scoring because they play slow-ball. But they play an efficient offense that frequently inclused five versatile offensive players at once (who also happen to play excellent defense). So no matter who you "help" off of, there will be somebody else open who can capitalize on whatever the defense gives them.

Against the Pistons, defensive rotations must be tight and precise. Man-to-man won't cut it either.

brs14ku

Well I guess this thread didnt serve much of a purpose. Thanks for calming my panic down though folks. I needed it. MAN I HATE THE PISTONS

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by brs14ku
    Well I guess this thread didnt serve much of a purpose. Thanks for calming my panic down though folks. I needed it. MAN I HATE THE PISTONS
    Another way to counteract Rip, make him guard someone, and I mean GO AT HIM. Rip can't hurt you if he is sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

brs14ku

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Another way to counteract Rip, make him guard someone, and I mean GO AT HIM. Rip can't hurt you if he is sitting on the bench in foul trouble.
    Too bad the only player on our team that seems to penetrate is JTins....maybe Sarunas (too early to judge). And Rip won't be guardin either one of those guys. If Jacko gets to be more of a slasher that would be great. Freddie slashes, but never seems to get any calls. Getting Rip in fould trouble will be difficult. Might be able to get a few offensive calls against him though as he is pushing and fighting through screens.

Jack can slash. He can also post Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Jack can slash. He can also post Rip.

He just needs to realize when his shots aren't falling that he needs to start driving.

How many did it take last night for him to realize it?

brs14ku

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    He just needs to realize when his shots aren't falling that he needs to start driving.

How many did it take last night for him to realize it?

Exactly...I didnt say Jack couldnt slash, I said he just doesn't, or doesn't enough. He was 3-9 and 0-4 3 pters last night. I know at least one of the baskets he made was a penetration layup that was pretty nice. We need more of that from him. And less spot up, slow release set shots.

Last night wasn't special, but I remember him driving a lot in the playoffs.

I don't think Jack's a very good ballhandler, I don't necessarily want him to slash more. I do want him to step in and hit a 14-19 footer with consisentency - I don't really like him shooting 3's at all.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    True. Great offense *will* beat great defense most of the time.

The Pistons aren't high scoring because they play slow-ball. But they play an efficient offense that frequently inclused five versatile offensive players at once (who also happen to play excellent defense). So no matter who you "help" off of, there will be somebody else open who can capitalize on whatever the defense gives them.

Against the Pistons, defensive rotations must be tight and precise. Man-to-man won't cut it either.
    To tell you the truth....we don't really know the Piston's offense is going to be in a couple of months. KStat will probably need to answer.....but I am guessing that the offensive style of Flip is way different then Larry Brown's offense. I am hoping that what we saw yesterday with the Pistons isn't a sign of things to come.....I don't know if the style of the game is slower or faster....but putting up 100+ points against the Sixers while keeping them under 90 points is pretty good to me.

Rip being a offensive problem for the Pacers isn't something new.....he has always been a problem for ANY team......including the Pacers. What I don't know is....based off of last season's performance....did SJax cover Rip? Or did Freddie cover Rip?

Since SJax was primarily playing SF....I don't know who was guarding Rip last season....Freddie or SJax ( with JJ switching to SF ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

brs14ku

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    To tell you the truth....we don't really know the Piston's offense is going to be in a couple of months. KStat will probably need to answer.....but I am guessing that the offensive style of Flip is way different then Larry Brown's offense. I am hoping that what we saw yesterday with the Pistons isn't a sign of things to come.....I don't know if the style of the game is slower or faster....but putting up 100+ points against the Sixers while keeping them under 90 points is pretty good to me.

Rip being a offensive problem for the Pacers isn't something new.....he has always been a problem for ANY team......including the Pacers. What I don't know is....based off of last season's performance....did SJax cover Rip? Or did Freddie cover Rip?

Since SJax was primarily playing SF....I don't know who was guarding Rip last season....Freddie or SJax ( with JJ switching to SF ).

Freddie and Reggie(of course) covered Rip most of the time. I think AJ might have even done a little. Jax was usually matched up with Tayshaun if I remember right.

Flip's offense is a lot more wide open. Not necessarily faster, but just more open. Sadly, I think last night is a sign of more to come from there offense. However our D is much better than the Sixers D.

I don't think Flip will completely abandon the triple-screen for Rip, even as he puts his own stamp on their offense. Larry Bird didn't abandon it when he followed Larry Brown, either, because it is a very good offensive set if you've got a player like Reggie or Mini-me that uses screens well and has a quick release.

I think as Jay pointed out, you don't necessarily beat the Pistons by just having someone capable of defending Rip one-one-one. One way or the other, whether you have an excellent defender on Rip or not, Rip will get his points. Oh, you might slow him down in one game out of three, but across a seven game series, you might as well accept the fact that you do the best you can but the bugger is going to get his points.

Most games between the Pistons and the Pacers are very physical, ugly games. Both teams play rugged defense and pretty deliberate offense. So when either team dominates the other in a single major aspect of the game, then that team is usually going to win.

I think that the important factors in beating the Pistons are:
    1. Match them in rebounding
    2. Match their defensive FG%
    3. Get to the line more than they do
    4. Score more off of their turnovers than they do off of ours

Against a lot of teams, you don't get beat if you get outrebounded because you get to the line a lot more or you make up the difference in scoring opportunities through turnover differential.

Against the Pistons, this just isn't the case. You really have to get after them in each aspect of the game because they are good in all areas.

Flip's offense is absolutely perfect for Rip. I have never seen a game when we got so many wide-open mid-range jumpers in my life. It was totally effortless. 30 assists, 13 TOs, and 56% shooting is insane for opening night. Nothing like the team that started awfully slow the last 2 seasons. Granted, I don't expect Rip to put in 37 a night (he was really feeling it last night), but I could defiantely see him averaging 22+ points on a higher percentage.

And this team loves to run in Flip's offense. We had 22 fast-break points, and we were even pushing the ball on made baskets. Something I never saw under Larry Brown. Another big plus for us is that Flip has let Arroyo out of LB's leash. Last night he had 8 assists and only 1 TO in only 16 minutes. Chauncey had 10 assists and 1 TO. So, the thought that critics liked to use that Chauncey would go back to being a "shoot-first" guy has been shot down a bit. Though, he did take a couple shots that would have gotten him a nice glare from LB.

Lastly, Ben looks like he has recoverd from last year's nightmare season for him (Apendectomy, and Bone Spurs in his foot). He looked like he was scraping the Palace ceiling out there. Something I haven't seen since the 02-03 season.

You know who guards Rip really well?

James Jones.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, let Rip get 30 - 35 points, he'll still only amass 3 rebounds and 2 assists.