Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

  1. #1
    Hey, I'm under the arrow drewdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Brownstown, IN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    122

    Default Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    TNT ANALYST IN MIAMI TONIGHT
    After Picking Pistons,
    Reggie Faces Pacers

    By Conrad Brunner | Nov. 3, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Before he actually appeared in front of the cameras in his new capacity as a courtside and studio analyst with TNT, Reggie Miller was concerned his 18-year association with the Pacers might have an unintended impact on his commentary.
    "Iíve told everyone from the beginning that I apologize if I say 'we' when Iím calling Pacers games," Miller said in a teleconference Monday. "I'm trying to wean myself from saying 'we' in conversations, but for 18 years thatís all I knew."
    He then promptly went out and dashed any notions he would be an Indiana apologist. His first night on the air, during Tuesday's network doubleheader, he picked the Pistons to win the Eastern Conference and expressed concern about "chemistry problems" among his ex-teammates, adding that "any little thing can set Indiana off."
    Miller will be courtside in Miami tonight when the Pacers face the Heat, his first Ė but certainly not last Ė look at his old team from a new perspective. In his new role, Miller will work with studio hosts Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley was well as hitting the road to work as a courtside analyst throughout the course of the season.

    "I talked to Reg the other night when he was in town (for the Monster Masquerade Saturday) and I told him to be sure to pump the Pacers," said Jermaine O'Neal. "It hasn't been a tough transition period with Reggie not being here. You guys would not even believe, Reggie talked about not being here so much, we were like, 'OK, Reg, you're not going to be here next year.' Reggie's a smart guy. He knew how to position the team (for his absence). Everybody's accepted it. There hasn't been any talk about it. Guys have locked on in what we have to do personally and as a team.
    "Hopefully we'll go in and play the way we need to play and that'll be enough for Reg. It'll be tough for Reg to talk about the Pacers as a spectator and as a fan, so we have to do our part to make him proud and make him happy about what he left behind."
    Miller expressed no regrets about the incident in Detroit that resulted in suspensions that crippled the team, though a title contender was reduced to battling for playoff scraps. In fact, he found a silver lining in that darkest of clouds.
    "Things happen for a reason," he said. "I never want to play the 'could've, would've, should've' game. When the fight went down, we didnít have a full compliment of players. We had everyone the year before and we lost to the Pistons in six games. If we all want to struggle with what should have been, we had a full compliment of players the year before.
    "In the long run, I think it helped the Pacers out because Freddie Jones got some valuable time and David Harrison, who was a rookie last year, got some playing time. In the long run, those guys got some valuable court time so hopefully it will help the Pacers this year and down the road because those guys got accustomed to the NBA much faster.Ē
    Regardless of his opinions, the Pacers will be glad to see their former captain who has moved comfortably into his new life, splitting time as a movie producer and television analyst.

    "He's got to work," said Stephen Jackson. "He's got to feed his family. He's still Reggie Miller to me, whether he's on the sidelines, shooting movies, whatever, I still have the same respect for him."
    But what if he reveals inside secrets about the team?
    "Whatever information he has," Jackson said, "we respect his decision to say it."

  2. #2
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    I may be going out on a limb here, but based on what everybody has to say here, and what Reggie said on TNT I think there's a little more to Reggie's retirement than we know of.

    I'm thinking Reggie misses the hell out of this team. He really wants to be a part of it in some way, shape, or form but that can't happen right now. "Chemistry problems" is what I'm thinking his reason for retirement was. I took notice to the comment during half time of the Suns/Mav's game where he said "James Jones was the only one that would ever listen to me." and he didn't say it in a very jokingly way IMO. I sort of get the feeling that some guys on this team were ready to see him hang it up (or get out of their way).

    I'd probably have a different opinion if he had announced that last season would be his last season BEFORE the season started, but seeing that he announced it during the year, I'm quite sure that age didn't have much to do with his decision.

  3. #3
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    It should be noted that Reggie has become the #1 favorite non-Piston in the NBA among Pistons fans....

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  4. #4
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It should be noted that Reggie has become the #1 favorite non-Piston in the NBA among Pistons fans....



    Because he said what everyone else thinks/says? It only made a splash, because the guy who said it is four months removed from wearing the jersey.

    I'm sure everyone on the Pacer team will tell you the exact same thing. Does that move them up in your mind?

  5. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Because he said what everyone else thinks/says? It only made a splash, because the guy who said it is four months removed from wearing the jersey.

    I'm sure everyone on the Pacer team will tell you the exact same thing. Does that move them up in your mind?
    %99.9999 of the national media is picking the pacers or the heat in the east. Reggie is the only guy of note to give any respect to the Pistons whatsoever.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #6
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It should be noted that Reggie has become the #1 favorite non-Piston in the NBA among Pistons fans....
    You mean he hasn't been ever since that Prince block?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  7. #7
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    %99.9999 of the national media is picking the pacers or the heat in the east. Reggie is the only guy of note to give any respect to the Pistons whatsoever.
    Not true. I've seen way more than 0.0001% picking Detroit to come out of the East.

  8. #8
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    %99.9999 of the national media is picking the pacers or the heat in the east. Reggie is the only guy of note to give any respect to the Pistons whatsoever.
    Glad we went from talking about your thoughts on the players if they were to say that, to the national media.

    If I remember correctly AC said he couldn't disagree with Reggie's comments. So I'll go back to my original question. Does that move him up in your opinion?

  9. #9
    Priviledged Member SamBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Posts
    854

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    He shouldn't worry too much about it... When Sean Elliott went to ESPN he tried so hard not to root for the Spurs the other idiot commentators kept harrassing him about it...Then we won the championship...

    Reggie is very lucky to have landed with TNT instead of those idiots at ESPN.... he'll be just fine.

  10. #10
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad we went from talking about your thoughts on the players if they were to say that, to the national media.

    If I remember correctly AC said he couldn't disagree with Reggie's comments. So I'll go back to my original question. Does that move him up in your opinion?

    I've always respected the hell out of Reggie, so that's totallly irrelevant.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,228

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    %99.9999 of the national media is picking the pacers or the heat in the east. Reggie is the only guy of note to give any respect to the Pistons whatsoever.

    That is because 99.9999% of the national media are fools and idiots. Don't get me started on the national media. They do not have a clue about our teams and just write something without doing any research. I bet you all these people who are in positions to make these picks do not even know the complete rosters of their picks

  12. #12
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    It seems to me that it has been split between the Pacers, Heat, and Pistons. One not really taking precedent over the other. There are too many unknowns with all three teams. The Pacers and their maturity. The Pistons and their coach. The Heat and their chemistry. Oh yeah, don't forget King James and the Cavs. What about JKidd and the Nets? AI and CWebb in Philly? There's really too many things in the East to clearly designate who the top team is.

    The Colts have started this season 7-0, but there will be doubters until they beat the Pats next Monday. The Pacers are 2-0, but, until we beat the Pistons Feb. 4th, they're still the Eastern Conf. Champs and deserve the respect. Unless of course Flip leads the team into the abyss and Sheed goes back to his weed.

    My point is, through all of this late-night rambling, that it's too early to tell anything. Every team has question marks, except the Spurs who have only exclamation points, and until we see head-to-head matchups and playoff series, we'll argue about who's better.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  13. #13
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers are 2-0, but, until we beat the Pistons Feb. 4th, they're still the Eastern Conf. Champs and deserve the respect.
    And if we beat the Pistons that game, they're still the Eastern Conference Champs. We can beat them every time we meet in the regular season...but when it comes down to it, who cares?

    Let's go Central Division Champs!!!

  14. #14
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've always respected the hell out of Reggie, so that's totallly irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It should be noted that Reggie has becomethe #1 favorite non-Piston in the NBA among Pistons fans....

    It's relevant when you say the above in a thread regarding his comments. It makes the connection that because of his comments, he HAS BECOME you're number one non-piston favorite.

    Like I originally asked. Does AC move up in your mind?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Pacers.com} After Picking Pistons, Reggie Faces Pacers

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean he hasn't been ever since that Prince block?

    Sweeeeet Block.........................Bad Memory.

























    Don't bring it up again.

























    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

    Do Not Trade Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •