Thread: Players respond to criticism from Miller

Default Players respond to criticism from Miller

Players respond to criticism from Miller

Former star says team lacks chemistry it needs to win Eastern Conference title

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

ORLANDO -- Reggie Miller's comments about his former team didn't go unnoticed Wednesday.
    Miller said on TNT on Tuesday that he favored the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference because of concerns with the Indiana Pacers' team chemistry.

"Until Indiana shows me they've solved their chemistry problems, you have to go with a team that doesn't argue, that gets the job done at the end of the day," Miller said on the air. "Any little thing can set Indiana off."
    Guard Stephen Jackson responded, "Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I respect Reggie too much to degrade his statement, but I don't agree with it. We're the best team in the league. We know it. Our biggest thing that we have been saying for the last month is that we're not trying to prove that to nobody else. We're trying to prove it to ourselves.
    "We know what we can do. It's about us, not what people think, because that never won a game."

The Pacers, Pistons and Miami Heat have been picked as the top three teams in the conference. Any of the three could win the conference, but the Pacers have concerns about their maturity and team chemistry.
    "I'm not saying I completely agree with him, but Detroit should be the favorites because they went to the Finals two years in a row and they won a championship," Pacers forward Austin Croshere said. "I can't disagree with him on that. I think there's no doubt one of our biggest concerns is playing as a team. We know we have a lot of individual talent. It's a matter of playing as a team. I give him credit for calling it how he sees it."

Miller will air more of his opinions tonight as an analyst for TNT's telecast of the game between the Pacers and the host Heat.

Inactive list
    As expected, centers Jeff Foster and Scot Pollard and point guard Eddie Gill were put on the inactive list for Wednesday's game.
    Foster and Pollard are dealing with injuries. Gill will likely be inactive for most of the season since he's the fourth point guard.

The inactive list replaced the injured list in the new collective bargaining agreement. Previously, players were required to miss at least five games when they were on the injured list. Teams can now juggle rosters on a game-to-game basis.
    The ability to rotate rosters on a game-to-game basis would be good for tonight's game at Miami because the Pacers need as many big bodies as possible for Heat center Shaquille O'Neal. Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, however, said Pollard, out with a calf injury, is "very doubtful, for the game."
    "I believe (the new rule is) a luxury rather than have guys making up injuries," Carlisle said. "If you have a team with a lot of depth, there are certain situations where it's an advantage. Right now we don't have that."

Welcome to the NBA
    Orlando forward Dwight Howard, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2004 draft, welcomed Pacers rookie Danny Granger to the NBA by throwing down a dunk over him in the second half. Granger fell to the ground after the dunk.
    Granger's teammates playfully teased him.
    "A dunk gives people a lot of momentum," Granger said. "I'll take the foul any time. I wasn't trying to hurt anybody. I was just trying to make a play."

Default Re: Players respond to criticism from Miller

I dont think Danger was that embarassed because he has some hard rebounds and a few nice dunks .

Gill will likely be inactive for most of the season since he's the fourth point guard.
    Thank You IL!

I have a feeling Reggie might have said that as a motivator to the team as much as anything else - a challenge if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a feeling Reggie might have said that as a motivator to the team as much as anything else - a challenge if you will.
    That's what I was thinking. Reg sending secret messages

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    That's what I was thinking. Reg sending secret messages

No doubt about it. He'll always be a Pacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    No doubt about it. He'll always be a Pacer.
    No doubt about that! I look forward to him on TNT and referring to the Pacers as "Us".

Plus you know if anything is said to him from any of the players, he'll look them straight in the eye and say...Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    No doubt about that! I look forward to him on TNT and referring to the Pacers as "Us".
    Yep! Me too!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

He's our un offical biggest fan and thats never in doubt, unless he signs up for espn...

I love Reg and I know he thought about what he said long and hard and it's half true and half to fire the team up.....

Mental Warfare... if anything maybe it gives the pistons and heat arrogance by under playing our strengths and making our team the underdogs

Did anyone Catch Mark J on espn calling the Bucks Nets game... that wasen't bad... I Like Mark and it was funny when they was talking about Marc Jackson...

What a Backcourt.... Mark J and Reggie M, BC1331, now there hustling there hops on TV...

Pacers man... everyone respects the Pacers...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...